[Released] FSX Solomon 1943 - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] FSX Solomon 1943

Everything good on my end, installed perfect. Now all we need is some AI fleets running up and down the slot. Thanks for this great scenery Mark.:salute:

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Everything good on my end, installed perfect. Now all we need is some AI fleets running up and down the slot. Thanks for this great scenery Mark.:salute:

Joe
    Joe, if you want to improve the look of the shorelines (the default ones have this dark shading on the waterside of the beach), you might want to install the alternative coastline (see isntallation instructions).

As for the AI fleet, try Davids (dwso) naval traffic for the Solomons:

http://www.box.net/shared/9ing89m5u3

thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...reply&p=462961

Cheers,
    Mark

Hi Mark
    very good your Solomon 1943
    I really enjoy flying it.
    Only a question: is this the correct rendering of the result of bombings

Attachment 15466

or did I do something wrong :isadizzy: ????

Ciao
    Italo

Quote Originally Posted by italoc View Post
    Hi Mark
    very good your Solomon 1943
    I really enjoy flying it.
    Only a question: is this the correct rendering of the result of bombings

Attachment 15466

or did I do something wrong :isadizzy: ????

Ciao
    Italo
    Thanks!

your question: disable ground shadows :-) enabling them will draw a shadow under the part of the texture that is transparent by an alphachannel. This is because the object (crater, here) is slightly elevated to prevent a flickering image, which is unsightly.

Cheers,
    Mark

NoNewMessages
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    So, if you can go without shorelines, it's fine, but if you want them, you must install the above mentioned package.
    Uh oh! Roadblock ahead! While everyone should install the modified Terrain.cfg file mentioned, there needs to be some caveats if they don't have it and want to install it.

The Terrain.cfg file can be opened with Notepad and if it is the default, unaltered version then the first few lines will read;

[General]
    DefaultTextureCount=383
    AutogenCount=14

Many addons will adjust the Terrain.cfg file and that number count will change. If that number count IS NOT 383 do not do a straight replacement of the Terrain.cfg file. Ultimate Terrain X, Ultimate Alaska X, FTX and many other products will add entries to the Terrain.cfg file and the DefaultTextureCount will be higher.

If someone wants to change their Terrain.cfg file to the modified Ludowise/Tirado version and your DefaultTextureCount is not 383, please ask before doing so.

Hi Italoc,

What aircraft is that? There arent that many jap aircraft for fsx, so if that one does work well, i will probably add it to my hangar.
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Hey Mark, installed the alternative coastline and looks good. Haven't got around to installing David's AI tracks yet, will do tomorrow.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    Hi Italoc,

What aircraft is that? There arent that many jap aircraft for fsx, so if that one does work well, i will probably add it to my hangar.

It's the
    <CENTER>FSX Nakajima Night Fighter Type-11 Gekkou
    </CENTER>
    you can get it from

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm...h=j1n*&fsec=96

I wanted to include it as static model in the scenery, but decided against it, because they were not stationed in the Solomons/Bougainville. The closest unit to the Solomons operated from Rabaul.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Thanks!

your question: disable ground shadows :-) enabling them will draw a shadow under the part of the texture that is transparent by an alphachannel. This is because the object (crater, here) is slightly elevated to prevent a flickering image, which is unsightly.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Thanks
    Everything in order now (and understandable)
    Ciao
    Italo

Thanks RW66!!! I love this scenery, I went up in a mission in the FSD P-38 last night. I really like how you gave us the info on which aircraft were based out of each respective airfield.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNewMessages View Post
    Uh oh! Roadblock ahead! While everyone should install the modified Terrain.cfg file mentioned, there needs to be some caveats if they don't have it and want to install it.

The Terrain.cfg file can be opened with Notepad and if it is the default, unaltered version then the first few lines will read;

[General]
    DefaultTextureCount=383
    AutogenCount=14

Many addons will adjust the Terrain.cfg file and that number count will change. If that number count IS NOT 383 do not do a straight replacement of the Terrain.cfg file. Ultimate Terrain X, Ultimate Alaska X, FTX and many other products will add entries to the Terrain.cfg file and the DefaultTextureCount will be higher.

If someone wants to change their Terrain.cfg file to the modified Ludowise/Tirado version and your DefaultTextureCount is not 383, please ask before doing so.
    I wondered about that. So what do I do? My numbers are 539/28 respectively, without the Solomons.

NoNewMessages
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I wondered about that. So what do I do? My numbers are 539/28 respectively, without the Solomons.
    The simple way to check is what's up at the top? The modified RTM Terrain.cfg has this header;

//------------------------------------------------------------------------
    //This modified FS X terrain.cfg is the result of discussions among
    // various scenery designers during testing of Flight Simulator X.
    // The modifications are the work of
    // Richard Ludowise and Luis Féliz-Tirado.
    // November 2006
    //------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Terrain.cfg file is divided into texture and autogen references, textures coming first. The last default texture call before the autogen entries in number 382, modified is 388.

If someone had the default Terrain.cfg file with additional entries, it is possible to change to the modified version. It involves cutting and pasting and renumbering, much like adding a new texture to an airplane. Making a backup copy beforehand would be highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Paul:

This would be great for another "slot race" like we had before!

Cheers: T
    Yes, that would be great!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I have beaches now! Thanks to Mark (roger-wilco-66) for suggesting the fix. In the terrain.cfg I added the "guid=" line, that's it, and now I have beaches. Very cool.
    :ernae:

// Ocean Shorelines - Perennial - ocean / white sand / perennial
    [Texture.2]
    Name=Shorelines_Ocean_White_Sand_Perennial
    Color=FFC0C000
    guid={42E70A8E-6A7D-4279-9A0C-2AE9C2FCFD16}
    LegacyId=1026
    Textures=o_whitesand_ls.bmp
    Layout=3_PLUS_4
    Size=4
    Effect=wavecontroller
    LandClassRemapType=natural
    ExcludeAutogen=Yes
    RenderToTexture=Yes
    RenderPriority=90000
    Water=No
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Well after two solid days (25 flt. hrs.) of flying I finally made it to the new Solomons '43 scenery area.

Here's from the first landing in the rear area at Cristobal Field (AGGK). The P-47 "Sylvia" is slightly out of time, from the later part of '44 in New Guinea.

Attachment 15541

This is the very first I've the scenery in person and just this little bit I've seen is incredible.

Mark, thanks for all the work you put into this project.

FAC

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I have beaches now! Thanks to Mark (roger-wilco-66) for suggesting the fix. In the terrain.cfg I added the "guid=" line, that's it, and now I have beaches. Very cool.
    :ernae:
    I don't know if it is relevant, but I already have a 'guid' line in the terrain.cfg. It looks like this:
    guid={2D3FC985-A72B-473D-B23B-D78E72E63B53}.

I have yet to try out if it makes any difference for the beaches.

Update on AI boat traffic: I just got a bundle of repaints, so in the next day or so I'm going to post an update. I'll need at least one tester just to make sure I have everything packaged right.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    Update on AI boat traffic: I just got a bundle of repaints, so in the next day or so I'm going to post an update. I'll need at least one tester just to make sure I have everything packaged right.
    Great
    If you think a "good to nothing" (my spouse expression ) can help as a tester .... i'm willing to try
    Italo

The addition of the 'guid=' line from the 'modified terrain.cfg' (same section) to the 'texture .2' portion of the 'oceans etc' PERENNIAL section of the existing 'terrain.cfg' works great.

[Released] FSX Solomon 1943

Hi all,

See the link for free WW2 plane such as the Beaufighter with a lot of different textures:
    http://classicbritishfiles.com/

(Homepage, new releases)

I've just uploaded what I hope is the last beta version of the traffic files: http://cid-24a84147c2763f11.office.l...ffic%201.7.zip. Give them a try and let me know, good or bad, how it goes. If they seem to be working, I'll upload them to the usual sites.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

David,

Don't know if it was just me, but the file name had a "_" after the ".zip", making it unreadable. If I renamed to ".zip" it was okay.

I'll let you know what I see with the files in game.

Thanks for doing this!

Bill

Hi,

I seem to have had a total space-out, but I cant for the life of me get this installed? I have dropped all the Solomon Is. folders into the Addon scenery directory, (Not the scenery and textures folders) but when I navigate to find the new scenery in the Add Scenery menu, I can navigate to the Solomons folders, but there is nothing inside for me to check??????? Any ideas? Please? ::

BTW - I have Windows 7 32, FSX Accel.

EDIT: SOLVED!
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

Hi Mark,

What airfield is that where crusader landed his PBY and got attacked? Also, are there any sound effects? Finally, what is the code for Rekata seaplane base? is there a flight that has been made so I can get there? Thanks in advance.
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2