No VC instuments in Alphasim's B-17D

Thread: No VC instuments in Alphasim's B-17D

Blog Entries

No VC instuments in Alphasim's B-17D

I just discovered that my favorite version of the Flying Fortress, the "D" model, is available from Alphasim. I downloaded the B-17D and installed it in FS9 GW. The panel .cfg lists instruments for a VC in the usual manner, but none show up. All instuments included with the download were installed in the FS9 GW gauges folder and the 2D panel works fine. I substituted an FS9 default gauge in the vc but still nothing. Is this condition related to the .mdl file, a texture issue, or something else? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

John

I take it you are referring to the freeware FS2002 B-17D. I loved those planes in CFS2, just too bad the props don't show up in FS9. I also like the D model the best.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I take it you are referring to the freeware FS2002 B-17D.
    That's the one. It seems to be a very simple model, the only animation is turning main wheels (no lg struts or tail wheel). But, it is fairly accurate in outline and some of the interior is modeled. The only repaint I have found so far is for the "Swoose" here at SOH. Looking for a polished aluminum skin as well.

Hurricane

To test the B-17D, I installed it. When I fired up the sim and selected the plane, I got the message saying that features of the plane were not supported, do I want to disable the unsupported elements. I clicked NO. All 8 of the VC gauges showed up just fine.

When you got the disable? message, did you click YES by chance? That may be the deciding factor.

If you did click YES, remove the plane from your install (just cut it and paste it to a folder outside of the AIRCRAFT folder. Start the sim. Shut it down. Drop the B-17D back into the AIRCRAFT folder and fire the sim up again. Select the B-17D...if you get the message about disabling unsupported features, answer NO.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Many, many, thanks OBIO. The VC gauges are showing up now. I tried your suggestions several times but still came up with painted instruments. Something else was telling the sim to disable the VC. I checked the FS9 .cfg files and found a section " [FrameCallNoWarn]". Under that heading were aircraft that had the incompatible components warning show on first loading. If the user selects YES to disable, the entry in this case reads "B-17D=0" and the offending elements are blocked. I deleted the B-17D entry and fired up the sim. The warning appeared and I selected "NO". The .cfg entry now reads "B-17D=1" and the VC instrument are present and working. The main gear struts and tailwheel have also appeared.
    I have several other aircraft in the " [FrameCallNoWarn]" to work on but first, I've got to fly that Fortress!
    Again, Thank you OBIO.

John

Blog Entries
    VC instruments and exterior animations are working now. But or some reason the nose and waist positions interior textures are invisible now. They were visible before the reload and I had cameras set up. What would cause a change like that?

No idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    OBIO, did the interior of your B-17D's bombardier compartment show?

Blog Entries
    Without your help OBIO, I would not have been able to get the VC working. Thanks again.

Hey Hurricane....I compared the B-17D in CFS2 to the B-17D in FS9. In FS9, the bombadiers gun site does not show up, nor do the guns.

I have a couple projects that I am working on right now that are pretty time sensitive, but once I have them wrapped up, I will see what I can do to get this plane back into Gmax and see if I can make sense out of the program enough to update the the B-17D to be more usable in FS9. The odds of success are about as good as the odds that Amelia Earhart will land in Hawaii tomorrow...meaning it most likely won't happen.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    In FS9, the bombadiers gun site does not show up, nor do the guns.
    OBIO
    In FS9, try the lights key ("L") for the guns and crew. The lights must be keyed to something else.
    I have retouched out the painted instruments, and moved some of the 2D gauges to the VC and added a few more. A new sound pack does wonders.
    I appreciate all of your help and if you get the time to look into this, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

John