Projected knowledge base: - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Projected knowledge base:

Standalone
    Transcribed by CADFather from a PDF posted by Daiwilletti

Originally Posted by: Kevboy On 04-13-05 @ 04:18 (Before the Site Attack)

“Hello all
    Question, if a plane has been converted to run on CFS# from CFS2 of FS, can I convert it to another standalone? I would like to hear yes!
    But it has no Mos File so how do I tell it about the texture name changes? I do however hace an Air File, but the has nothing in it that I can read with the Hes editor, that looks like the text file names. As I am sort of new to CFS3 I guess someone must have come up against this before.”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-13-05 @ 04:40 (Before the Site Attack)

“CFS1 & 2 * FS don’t work at all in CFS3 as they use a different model format.

As for making standalones in CFS3 have a look here:
    http://www.cfcforums.com/showthread.php?t=16351 (Link is long since dead, another source is needed)
    The texture name references can be found in the m3d file btw, texture format is dds.
    You’ll just see no bullet holes if you don’t hace a mos file, that’s about it.”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply Posted by: Kevboy On 04-13-05 @ 04:48 (Before the Site Attack)

“Thanks Mathias.
    Then the folder has,
    A file called.
    This_plane.air
    But no file called.
    This_plane.mos
    Why and how does this work?
    Kevboy”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-13-05 @ 04:52 (Before the Site Attack)

“The mosaic file is used to lay noseart/damage.cannon.bullethole textures over the plane’s base texture, sort of cross-linking to the texture (which is defined inside the model just as in other [C]FS builds.
    There is an editing tool in the aircraft and vehicle SDK.
    Think of the tool like dealing with layers in Paintshop Pro of Photoshop, you would just put the damage textures as a new layer on top of the main texture.
    If you want to make your own mosfile for your plane in question you’d usually start out with one of the stock mosfiles and change textures and filename to whatever you need.
    Next step would be to move around all those bullet layers until you are happy.
    If you have no mosfile the texture is still processed normally, just there’ll be no visible damage textures.”

Reply Posted by: Kevboy On 04-13-05 @ 09:22 (Before the Site Attack)

“Thanks Mathias
    Just seen I Robot and had ¾ bottle of wine, but I just about get what you are saying.
    Will play around with another misfile later. But is a misfile not needed then to make a plane work?
    I need to sleep on this.
    Kevboy”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-13-05 @ 09:25 (Before the Site Attack)

“Not definitely needed, the plane will work just fine without mosfile.”

Reply Posted by: Kevboy On 04-13-05 @ 10:08 (Before the Site Attack)

“Yes Yes
    Ok, got the plane flying, but it’s all black, that’s good, getting close. Just need to get the textures to be seen.
    Nice,
    Very nice.
    Thanks Mate,
    Kevboy”

Reply Posted by: Kevboy On 04-13-05 @ 21:36 (Before the Site Attack)

“Textures working now. Is it possible to get reflections to work on a plane that did not have them from the start? I take it, it’s to do with the _s files.
    Kevboy”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-13-05 @ 22:13 (Before the Site Attack)

“No Reflections or specular shine without the Gmax source file.”

Reply Posted by: Kevboy On 04-14-05 @ 02:09 (Before the Site Attack)

“Ok Mathias, Thanks for all your help on this.
    Kevboy”

Reply Posted by: Corrado On 04-14-05 @ 07:06 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by: Mathias
    “No Reflections or specular shine without the Gmax source file.”

“That is a wrong statement.
    Here is a tuto(rial) on how to do that using a hex-editor.
    No reflect maps needed nor Gmax source, just you must be good at hex-editing.
    Kevboy,
    If you can’t figure it out drop me an e-mail at MC5834@mclink.it
    http://www.isoliti4gatti.com/shine.htm (Link is long since dead, another source is needed)
    Corrado”

Reply Posted by: Kevboy On 04-14-05 @ 07:31 (Before the Site Attack)

“Ok
    Corrado, I will have a look, thanks.
    Kevboy”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-14-05 @ 07:48 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by: Corrado
    “That is a wrong statement.
    Here is a tuto(rial) on how to do that using a hex-editor.
    No reflect maps needed nor Gmax source, just you must be good at hex-editing.
    Kevboy,
    If you can’t figure it out drop me an e-mail at MC5834@mclink.it
    http://www.isoliti4gatti.com/shine.htm (Link is long since dead, another source is needed)
    Corrado”

“Oh, interesting, I didn’t know that you’ve hacked it
    So you can add reflection and specular maps or just basic polygon shine?”

Reply Posted by: Corrado On 04-14-05 @ 08:08 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    “Oh, interesting, I didn’t know that you’ve hacked it
    So you can add reflection and specular maps or just basic polygon shine?”

“Basic shining or reflecting if you don’t have a spare texture to sacrifice.
    If you have that one you can add maps either.
    I guess the M3D can be further hacked to add as many maps as you like but I haven’t experimented on this one possibility. It worked with MDL files, it might work with M3D’s as well.

Frankly, I have been using maps very little in my planes, odd it might look; I know this brings limitations but gave me the challenge of experimenting and exploring, that’s part of the fun, and that’s why I discovered the above.
    All of my planes have this hex rework, one of the very first things I discovered in CFS3, even the early ones that have pre-lighted texture; wrongly believed by some not having true reflections they just have a very light touch of it, handmade.

Having abandoned those maps one thing I could never figure out is if reflect maps and shine maps work as advertised; could you recap it for me, what is the difference and is it worth it?

Hacking the M3D files I have found you can have a material to load both (_r and ­_s) at once, don’t know if it can be of any use though.

Another interesting thing I have discovered but never used is that maps can be colored not just B/W, this gave some nice effects, but that’s it.
    Also you can name them what you want, not necessarily xxx_r etc.

The obvious advantage of this kind of approach is that you can mod to your likes someone else’s models (the ones you don’t have the source code for), including M$ ones.”

Reply Posted by: Corrado On 04-14-05 @ 08:11 (Before the Site Attack)

“Kevboy,
    I am very curious on what you are doing, or am I reading too much into your post #1?
    Corrado”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-14-05 @ 08:48 (Before the Site Attack)

“Hmm, it can all be done from within the Gmax file, colored specular and reflection maps and both together in the same materials as well as colored specular polygon materials.
    Whatever , your hack is sure great for aircraft that otherwise would not come into the benefit of such neat features.

Are you asking what the difference is between specular and reflections?
    It’s both reflections, LOL, Just specular is more that milky camo kind of stuff while you would use the reflection slot for bare metal and such.”

Reply Posted by: Corrado On 04-14-05 @ 08:58 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    It’s both reflections, LOL, Just specular is more that milky camo kind of stuff while you would use the reflection slot for bare metal and such.

“Watching from inside I have found only, but might have missed some, the stock P-51D using reflect maps but it looked like crap to me so I modded it.
    So, have you ever found a suitable use for those?

Corrado”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-14-05 @ 09:05 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by: Corrado
    “Watching from inside I have found only, but might have missed some, the stock P-51D using reflect maps but it looked like crap to me so I modded it.
    So, have you ever found a suitable use for those?

Corrado”

“For reflection maps?
    Honestly no, it always looks as if the plane is inside of a glass bottle, LOL.

EDIT: Thinking of it, I really like the allied bare metal skins.
    Makes it easier to spot the Indianer at distance.”

Reply Posted by: Corrado On 04-14-05 @ 09:09 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    “For reflection maps?
    Honestly no, it always looks as if the plane is inside of a glass bottle, LOL.

Neither I found it.
    I wonder why they put them in at all.
    Not I have ever found any other designer using them, but I haven’t checked every single plane I have downloaded.
    Corrado”

Reply Posted by: Mathias On 04-14-05 @ 09:16 (Before the Site Attack)

“I like reflections on gauge glass.
    Diffuse color pure black, opacity 6-8% and the reflection slot just checked, no level map in it.”

Reply Posted by: Corrado On 04-14-05 @ 09:09 (Before the Site Attack)

Quote:
    “I like reflections on gauge glass.
    Diffuse color pure black, opacity 6-8% and the reflection slot just checked, no level map in it.”

“Hehe,
    I do that either (too), my way of course.
    Corrado”

CAD :salute:

SOH-CM-2020

Exclamation XDP Verification Script Found in GMax

Just came across this very useful info inside my GMax install under Gamepacks/documents, inside the "Overview" document:

"XDP Verification Scripts

Some simple scripts and an XML Schema Definition (XSD) are provided for the purpose of verifying XDP files. If you copy these files to your main Combat Flight Simulator and then run the chkallxdp.cmd command file, a log with the name chkallxdp.log is created in your Combat Flight Simulator 3 directory. This verification process make take one or more minutes to complete. This log will provide warnings to you about possible problems in your newly created XDP files and help you to prevent errors in your content."

Not only does it check xdp files, but I suspect it would work on .xml files. I'll give it a go and hopefully get back on this.

D

SOH-CM-2020

Getting Effects.xml into Alphabetical Order

The attached thread extract was provided by Oki, IIRC.

To edit the effects.xml the best tool is Notepad as most dedicated xml editors don't like "duplicate attributes".

However Oki's method also requires MS Excel or a freeware alternative.Attachment 18320

SOH-CM-2020

Tweak Your Water Appearance In Shaders.xml

And much much more...

Attached is a thread from about 2004, discussing how to change the appearance of your seawater, including a post containing eidts to the shaders.xml.

Always Back Up before editing anything!!

Attachment 18321

Windows 7 Install Fix

Windows 7 install fix

WINDOW 7 INSTALL
    NOTE
    Modifying the CFS3.exe comes curtsey of Deadmeat1971. Original instructions can be found here
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=9007
    Blacksheep-ghost03 and I have Win7 working in both on and off line sessions but have had to use different means to do so.
    These instructions assume that your game is installed on a C:\ partition
    Main game folder is located at c:\Programfiles\Microsoftgames\Combat Flight Simulator 3
    STEP ONE:
    Install CFS3. Choose complete install option. Look for and uncheck the option to place short cut on desktop. Follow the instructions to complete the game install. Once done DO NOT choose run game now. Close all windows and go to desktop. If you have a short cut to CFS3.exe on your desktop delete it. Now browse to your main game folder. Right mouse click on the CFS3.exe and select COPY. Go to desktop and select PASTE. The CFS3.exe should now be on your desk top. Right mouse click on it and select rename. Change the name to CFS3win7. Right mouse click on the CFS3win7.exe and select CUT, browse to your main game folder and select paste. In the main game folder you should now have two .exe icons. The original one and the new CFS3win7 one. Right mouse click on the CFS3win7.exe and go to properties. Select Compatibility. Put a check mark in the “run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select Window XP SP3 in the drop down box.NOTE: This is the only choice that will work. SP2 will not. In privilege level at the bottom select “run this program as administrator” Click apply. Click OK. Now right mouse click on the CFS3win7.exe icon and select Send to and Desktop(created shortcut). Close all windows. You should have an icon on the desktop that is named CFS3win7. Go to properties on this and double check that Windows XP SP3 and administrator settings are selected in compatibility. If they aren’t select them and click OK. Run the game for the first time. If it’s OK then apply the CFS3 patches. Test in multiplayer if required
    NOTE
    This method worked on my system but not on Blacksheep-ghost03. For his system he applied step 2 which involves applying the same settings but to the original CFS3.exe
    Step two
    If you have installed the game as above and created the new icon and it doesn’t work or won’t fly in multiplayer, delete the CFS3win7 icon from your desktop. Browse to your main game folder and delete the CFS3win7.exe. You should now have only the original CFS3 .exe in the game folder and no icons on your desktop. Right mouse click on the CFS3.exe and follow the same steps as above for compatibility and privilege level. Once done create a shortcut for the CFS3.exe on your desktop. Check that the compatibility and privilege settings are correct. Run the game. If it works apply the CFS3 patches. Test in multiplayer if required.
    WINDOWS 7 64 BIT
    NOTE
    I have Windows 7 64 bit installed. It would not run multi player regardless of the steps performed above and would crash to desktop. Event viewer described an MFC70.DLL error. I browsed and found an old Microsoft article that referred to the same type of issue I was having.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555608
    I followed the recommended fix. Go to main game folder and delete the OLEACC.DLL file. After doing this my game runs fine and I can host and join multiplayer games.
    Hope this works for you too.
    Special thanks to Deadmeat1971 and Blacksheep-ghost03 for their contributions

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Windows 7 Install Fix 2

I would like to make an adjustment to step two.For Blacksheep-ghost03 to get his to work he had to set compatibility to Windows Vista SP2 first. Fly the game then change it to Windows XP SP3. We deleted his install a couple of times to test and this worked every time. We really never sorted what caused this but he is running an RC candidate and I am running a post release version. Might have something to do with it

So step two should read

STEP TWO
    If you have installed the game as above and created the new icon and it doesn’t work or won’t fly in multiplayer, delete the CFS3win7 icon from your desktop. Browse to your main game folder and delete the CFS3win7.exe. You should now have only the original CFS3 .exe in the game folder and no icons on your desktop. Right mouse click on the CFS3.exe go to compatibility and select Windows Vista SP2. Also select run this program as administrator. Once done create a shortcut for the CFS3.exe on your desktop. Go to properties and check that the compatibility and privilege settings are correct. Try and run the game. It will probably crash. That's fine. Go to the main game folder CFS3.exe again and change compatibility to Windows XP SP3. Go to desktop and check your short cut to make sure it is also Windows XP SP3 if its not change it. Fly the game. If it works apply the CFS3 patches. Test in multiplayer if required.

Sorry for the mix up but there were so many attempts to get this working I forgot about the vista setting

TW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Windows 7 Install Fix 3

The problem with OLEACC.DLL appears to be one of versions. FS9 had a similar problem reported, which is where Tailwind's answer came from. The file supplied with CFS3 has a date of 2003 and is about 5KB in size. XP's own version in \System32 is about 160KB in size, but doesn't seem to clash.

The same file in Windows 7 is several hundred KB in size, much more recent, and presumably doesn't live happily alongside the CFS3/FS9 versions. Happily, CFS3 seems to work perfectly well with the Win7 version, so everybody wins.

WARNING - The MOS Editor will NOT run on Windows 7 or Vista!

Thanks to Tailwind for the above info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Vista Users - Shell.exe not needed.

From Deadmeat1971

Attention VISTA users!!! (Shell.exe is NOT needed)

If you had read all the posts I've presented (it was a continuing and learning process), it didn't take long to figure this out. After doing series of tests on ETO and Game Ranger, I had posted a ***warning*** under ETO 1.02 Multiplaying in VISTA thread here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=8334

From this experience, you could see why I have come to this conclusion...

Once again, I apologize for those who went all the trouble in installing OFF Phase 2, just to get that Shell.exe file. It has come to my realization is that you don't really need the Shell.exe in order to make the multiplaying work under VISTA.

Read this carefully:
    HOW TO PLAY MULTIPLAYING FOR THE ORIGINAL
    MICROSOFT COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 3
    UNDER VISTA

This is only applied for VISTA users, XP users do NOT need it to host or join servers for VISTA players.
    Requires just the original CFS3 only!

Here what you do to make it work for the CFS3:

Copy the cfs3.exe from your CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3) and paste it into a different folder. Under this different folder, rename this cfs3.exe (by right-clicking the mouse button to select 'Rename') into whatever name you choose--like cfs3mp.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, etc..

Suppose, you renamed it cfs3mp.exe. Now, cut this new cfs3mp.exe back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3).

Next, make a shortcut on your desktop to browse for the cfs3mp.exe under your CFS3 folder. Once the shortcut is created, right-click the mouse button on the shortcut to bring up the 'Properties'. Click on 'Properties'. Select the tab, 'Compatibility', and then check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' under Compatibility mode.

Try that---join a mutiplaying server.

If CFS3 doesn't start correctly, try running it as an administrator either by:

1) Right-clicking the shortcut icon again and choose 'Run as adminstrator'
    or
    2) Check 'Run this program as an adminstrator' under Privilege Level which is also located under the tab, 'Compatibility', in 'Properties'.

That's it!

The Shell.exe was actually probably a stock cfs3.exe renamed. It was only modified by its name!

By following the complete instructions from above, just rename the cfs3.exe into whatever name you choose from the top of your head. Once again, you could try sample names like vista.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, cfs3mp.exe, whale.exe, etc., as long it's not cfs3.exe!

Once again, thanks for my beta testers and those who has and still continued to spread the words...

Thank you.

For off phase 3.

See this thread if you're interesting playing OFF PHASE 3 under VISTA.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=9644

By using the renamed cfs3.exe (like cfs3mp.exe, cfs3vista.exe, etc.), you should be able to host multiplayer the normal way. I have with success on my laptop Vista 32-bit (Home Premium)..
    Clarification for this procedure

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Freddie/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]To all,

Note: You will have to allow extensions for all known file types to be seen on your machine, or the re-naming will not work.

Here is how to do that:

For seeing hidden files and folders, and revealing file-name extentions:
    Open a folder, say My Documents. At top left click on Organize and then Folder and Search Options. Click on View and you will find both selections in the list.

Here goes. Maybe this will seem clearer:

1. Copy the cfs3.exe icon from the Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder in question and paste it to a safe location anywhere outside of the main game folder. Your desktop will do just fine.

2. Go out to your desktop, or where ever you copied it to, and rename it to whatever name you choose, keeping the extension intact (*.exe). Example: Rename cfs3.exe to cfs3mp.exe.

3. Cut (DO NOT COPY) and paste this newly-named icon from the desktop (or where else you copied it to) from there, back into the Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder.

Note: Do not delete the original cfs3.exe from your main game folder.

4. While still in the Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder at this time, right-click on the newly-pasted icon and send it to the desktop. This will be your CFS3 Start icon.

5. Now go back out onto the desktop and look for the new cfs3mp.exe you just sent there. Then right-click on it and select Properties. Thenpick Compatability and check "'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" under Compatability mode. You may also want to choose "Run as administrator".

I hope this helps.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Freddie/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

CFS3 Command line parameters

I found these old command line parameters on my HD. They are from a post on the 'old-old' SOH CFS3 forum by an unknown author. Some of these have been mentioned earlier in this thread:

"CFS3 command line and command prompt options

There are several command line parameters you can you use to force CFS3 into a certain mode. You can do this the following way:
    1. Right-click the CFS3 shortcut symbol.
    2. Select “Properties”
    2. Go to the “Shortcut” tab.
    3. Type one of the commands below at the end of the “Target” command line.
    For example "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3-X(perimental)\cfs3.exe" –window

NB. Don’t forget to add the space or they will not work!

Apparently there are more command line parameters and even a command console. Some of these commands may be left over from the game development of from features that never appeared in the final version.

[space]-window
    Runs CFS3 in a window.

[space]-into
    Skips the intro movie.
    NB. You can also disable the intro movie in the CFS3 Configuration tool.

[space]-full
    Runs CFS3 in full screen mode.

[space]-m[mission_type_folder/your_mission.xml]
    Loads the given mission on start-up.
    Eg. Typing [space]-mhistorical/falaise.xml loads this particular mission from your CFS3 mission folder.

[space]-m3dview
    Starts a 3D Model Viewer. Use in conjunction with [space]–window. Enables you to preview the various 3D models used in CFS3 and view various properties such as bounding boxes, damage boxes etc.

[space]-movie
    Starts dumping out .bmp files as a slideshow of the game running.

[space]-time
    Allow time compression a-la Flight Sim. Use Ctrl-Shift-E and Ctrl-Shift -R

[space]-D24X8
    [space]-D24S8
    [space]-D16
    [space]-R5G6B5
    [space]-X8R8G8B8
    It is not exactly clear what these do, but they describe texture colour formats so they may effect the rendering of textures in-game.

[space]-3840
    [space]-3072
    [space]-1600
    [space]-1280
    [space]-1024
    [space]-800
    No sure, but believe it forces the resolution CFS3 plays at (these are the horizonatal resolutions).

[space]-maxhz
    Not sure but might set the maximum refresh rate of the screen in game.

[I]-host
    From what I can tell its supposed to start a dedicated server running. If you use it in conjunction with -m, it starts a server running that mission. Only problem is that it doesnt log into the Zone network so it never really begins! You can still hit start though but lord knows what connecting players see!

[space]-server
    Same as above, doesnt seem to work. I think this only starts a dogfight server whereas host starts a co-op mission server.

[space]-campaign
    Tries to start a multiplayer campaign server but asks for a username and password and will not accept anything it is given. On the other hand, it does give you access to the command prompt.

[space]-connect
    Not sure, I assume you can give it the IP of a server and it will autoconnect to it on start.

[space]-invincible
    Makes you invincible (I guess)

[space]-nostartup
    Loads the game but doesnt start the UI or game proper, just the shell.

[space]-cmdfile
    Execute console commands in the given file.

[space]-prompt
    I assume this is meant to give you the command prompt but I cant get it to work on its own.

[space]-cursor
    [space]-t
    [space]-drtactive
    No idea what these do.

If you start CFS3 with -campaign and -window the campaign server will fail but you still get access to the prompt. Press F10 or escape to bring down the menu, choose end mission and then select another mission from the menu and start it. Once the mission starts you'll have access to the command prompt again. When its running type help or ? for a list of console commands. “cfsaid” is fun as it give you a nice tactical display of all the aicraft in game.

Only problem I've noticed is that when the prompt is up, the game itself only responds to the joystick and mouse so you cant use the keyboard to do things like start/stop engines, release breaks etc.

Anyway, have a play

Theres references to XML files too which I suspect are to do with running servers from the command line but I dont know which is which and what should be in them."

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

CFS3 Target-to-Player view

Also from the 'old-old' days:

"Hit F4 until you get to "Target" view, then hit Shift/Ctrl/F4. That will give you "Target-to-Player" view. Then when you hit tab you will see from whatever you have padlocked to you. See your wingman's view to you or from the enemy or vehicle or ship or bld back to you. Try it."

Campaign Playing Tips

Campaign playing tips from days long gone (saved from a thread):

"Bomber Pilots: It's best to rotate the mission types. One mission Anti Ship, next a strike mission. By not doing Consecutive Mission ie. the same type for the next missions, you will save +2 from being added.

Dont do this all the time: When your country is on the Offensive, try to do as many consecutive missions as possible because of the Mission count bonuses. To find out how many Consecutive Mission you will have to do to get the bonus, check the campaign.xml and look for OffensiveEffects - MissionCount

So if MissionCount=4 that means you will have to do that type of misson 4 times to receive an extra bonus. Which, I know, does sound high 4X5=20 days offensive.

Recon: There's a bug - the mission will always be a failure.
    "

Target importance values

From an old thread on attacking targets by bomber groups:

"If you think bridges have too much importance as targets, decrease their priority setting :

<General Hardness="2" LongName="" ShortName="Bridge" ModelName="bridge02.m3d" BlastDamageScale="1.0" ImpactDamageScale="1.0" FireDamageScale="0" Priority="3" Type="static" EnteredService="01/01/1910" BlastDamageMod="1" ImpactDamageMod="1" FireDamageMod="1" Category="structure" Country="neutral" AllowSpawn="y" Placement="normal" />

I would suggest 3 (it's the setting for factories) or 2.

Don't forget to delete the bdp.
    "

Obviously this advice can be applied to other targets as well. The lower (or higher) the number set under "Priority", the less (or more) important the target is for AI pilots. I don't remember exactly but 4 or 5 is the maximum number that can be used for this setting.

ViewUI entries explained

The following annotations to the ViewUI.xml file explain the entries (don't know where I got this from):

"
    <Settings>
    <!--This section contains all of the user settable attributes for each view mode.-->
    <ViewUI>
    <!--
    VirtualCockpitView - Contains all user controllable settings for the virtual cockpit view.

FovScale - multiplier on the FovUp and FovDown specified in each vehicle's .xdp file.
    RotationRate - controls the speed at which smooth scrolling occurs in the cockpit.
    TranslationRate - controls the speed of head movement up/down, left/right, and front/back.
    VerticalLimit - limits the amount of up/down and front/back movement for the head in the cockpit.
    LateralLimit - limits the amoount of left/right travel of the head in the cockpit.
    LightColor - controls the color of the in-cockpit lighting. It is an RGB triplet, with each component going 0-255.
    DrawCockpit - true/false flag controlling if the cockpit is drawn or not. It will save the users in-game choice.
    -->
    <VirtualCockpitView FovScale="1.0" RotationRate="0.9" TranslationRate="0.5" VerticalLimit="0.3" LateralLimit="0.3" LightColor="255 50 50" DrawCockpit="true"/>

<!--
    SpotView - Contains all user controllable settings for the Spot View.

ViewDist - Default distance from eyepoint to object center (Meters) - saves user settings
    NominalAngles_x - Vertical offset angle for eyepoint (Degrees) - saves user settings
    NominalAngles_y - Horizontal offset angle for eyepoint (Degrees) - saves user settings
    ViewVerticalOffset - Amount to move the eyepoint up (Meters)
    VerticalDelta - Controls vertical rotation speed
    HorizontalDelta - Controls horizontal rotation speed
    ZoomDelta - Controls zoom speed
    ZoomMin - Minimum distance allowed eyepoint to object (Meters)
    ZoomMax - Maximum distance allowed eyepoint to object (Meters)
    -->
    <SpotView ViewDist="20.0" ViewVerticalOffset="0.0" NominalAngles_x="3.0" NominalAngles_y="30.0" VerticalDelta="80.0" LateralDelta="80.0" ZoomDelta="10.0"/>

<!--
    ChaseView - Contains all user controllable settings for the Chase View.

ViewDist - Default distance from eyepoint to object center (Meters) - saves user settings
    NominalAngles_x - Vertical offset angle for eyepoint (Degrees) - saves user settings
    NominalAngles_y - Horizontal offset angle for eyepoint (Degrees) - saves user settings
    -->
    <ChaseView ViewDist="20.0" ViewVerticalOffset="0.0" NominalAngles_x="3.0" NominalAngles_y="5.0" VerticalDelta="80.0" LateralDelta="80.0" ZoomDelta="10.0"/>

<!--
    FloatView - Contains all user controllable settings for the Float View.

MaxTrackingOffset - Maximum distance eyepoint to object (Meters)
    HistoryTargetOffset - Controls how far into the past to go to find the point to point the eyepoint at - must be less than 64
    HistoryCameraOffset - Controls how far into the past to go to find the eyepoint - must be less than 64 and greater than or equal to HistoryTargetOffset
    -->
    <FloatView ViewDist="5" ViewVerticalOffset="2.0" MaxTrackingOffset="30.0" HistoryTargetOffset="24" HistoryCameraOffset="48"/>

<!--
    FlybyView - Contains all user controllable settings for the Flyby View.

StartViewDist - Distance in front of object to start the camera (Meters)
    StopViewDist - Distance behind object needed to reset the view (Meters)
    ViewOffsetVert - Distance above objects path to place the eyepoint (Meters)
    ViewOffsetHoriz - Distance right of objects path to place the eyepoint (Meters)
    -->
    <FlybyView StartViewDist="400.0" StopViewDist="400.0" ViewOffsetVert="15.0" ViewOffsetHoriz="15.0"/>

<!--
    PlayerTargetView - Contains all user controllable settings for the PlayerTarget View.

OffsetDist - Distance behind player's object (Meters)
    OffsetHeight - Distance above players object (Meters)
    ZoomVal - Percentage of OffsetDist to use
    ZoomRate - Controls speed of zooming
    ZoomMin - Minimum multiplier of OffsetDist allowed
    ZoomMax - Maximum multiplier of OffsetDist allowed
    ViewToTarget - true = view from player to target, false = view from target to player - saves user setting
    -->
    <PlayerTargetView OffsetDist="25.0" OffsetHeight="2.5" ZoomVal="0.8" ZoomRate="1.0" ZoomMin="0.1" ZoomMax="10.0"/>

<!--
    WeaponView - Contains all user controllable settings for the Weapon View.

-->
    <WeaponView ViewDist="20.0" ViewVerticalOffset="0.0" NominalAngles_x="3.0" NominalAngles_y="30.0" VerticalDelta="80.0" LateralDelta="80.0" ZoomDelta="10.0"/>
    <ObserverUI ForwardSpeed="600.0" LateralSpeed="600.0" VerticalSpeed="100.0" PitchSpeed="20.0" YawSpeed="20.0" JoyForwardScale="5.0" JoyLateralScale="5.0" JoyYawScale="5.0"/>

</ViewUI>
    <HUD>
    <!--
    This section of the file defines not only which HUD gauges go where, but also how the needles move in the HUD gauges. The different colors used for friendly/enemy/bogie/goal can also be set here.
    -->

<!--
    The Gauge# sections define what is shown for each of those gauges, and where on the screen to display it.
    Type can be one of the following
    HUDAirspeed - Airspeed gauge
    HUDCompass - Compass Rose
    HUDAdi - Attitude/Direction Indicator
    HUDAlt - Altimeter
    HUDVsi - Vertical Speed Indicator
    HUDText - Additional text display
    HUDPipper - Fixed gun cross

pos - Initial position (0.0,0.0) -> (1.0,1.0) with (0.0,0.0) being the top left of the screen, and (1.0,1.0) being the bottom right. pos is not used for the TargetCone or the LabelDisplay.

visible - visibility flag - missing or non-zero means visible
    -->
    <Gauge1 Type="HUDAirspeed" pos="0.10 0.8"/>
    <Gauge2 Type="HUDCompass" pos="0.30 0.8"/>
    <Gauge3 Type="HUDAdi" pos="0.50 0.8"/>
    <Gauge4 Type="HUDAlt" pos="0.70 0.8"/>
    <Gauge5 Type="HUDVsi" pos="0.90 0.8"/>
    <Gauge6 Type="HUDText" pos="0.83 0.2"/>
    <Gauge7 Type="HUDPipper" pos="0.5 0.5"/>
    <Gauge8 Type="TacticalDisplay" pos="0.1 0.1"/>
    <Gauge9 Type="TargetCone" pos="1.0 1.0"/>
    <Gauge10 Type="LabelDisplay" pos="1.0 1.0"/>

<!--
    The colors section allows for customizing of the colors used to indicate object allegiance, current target, and current goal. All colors are in packed ARGB format.

FriendColor - color used for friendly objects
    EnemyColor - color used for enemy objects
    TargetColor - color used for the currently selected target
    BogieColor - color used for unknown objects
    GoalColor - color used for mission goals
    HumanFriendColor - Used for human friendlies in MP missions
    HumanEnemyColor - Used for human enemies in MP Dogfights
    -->
    <Colors FriendColor="0xFF0000FF" EnemyColor="0xFFFF0000" TargetColor="0xFFFFFF00" BogieColor="0xFFFFFFFF" GoalColor="0xFFAF00AF" HumanFriendColor="0XFF00FFFF" HumanEnemyColor="0xFFFF00FF"/>

<!--
    For each gauge type you get to define what the background image is and what the needle image is. For each needle there can be a mapping table defining the relationship between the displayed value and the angle to rotate the needle. Each needle also defines its size, center point, and rotation offset to point to the nominal zero. Each gauge also has a "Metric" version for use when the HUD is in 'Metric' mode. All gauges should have a metric section

NOTE: All image sizes/coords are in pixels.

BGImage - Texture sheet where the background can be found
    BGPos - Location on the sheet where the background is
    BGSize - Size of the background image
    BGScale - Image scale multiplier 1.0 if not specified
    NeedleImage - Texture Sheet with the needle image (if needed)

For each needle
    Pos - Location on the texture sheet to find the needle
    Size - Size of the needle
    Center - Center of needle rotation, relative to the top left corner
    Offset - Rotation amount needed to get from the image to the gauge zero point
    TableSize - Number of data points in the mapping table

For each entry in the mapping table there is a pair of numbers. The first is the value to be displayed, in gauge units, the second is the rotation of the needle needed to point to that location on the dial.

Several gauges also support additional tags. These are listed here

HUDText
    Color - color to display the hud text in. (packed ARGB)

TacticalDisplay
    BackColor - If a background image is NOT defined for the tactical diaplay then a square background of this color will be used (packed ARGB)
    GoalAlpha - Alpha density of the goal pointer as it rotates around the outside of the tactical display.

LabelDisplay All of these settings store user preferences
    ShowRank - Adds pilot rank to the label - default off - only applies when close enough to see the name
    ShowKills - Adds pilot kills to the label - default off - only applies when close enough to see the name
    ShowType - Adds object type to label - default off - only applies when close enough to see the name
    DrawBrackets - Shows target brackets around selected object
    -->
    <HUDAdi BGImage="hud_guages.dds" BGPos="343 170" BGSize="166 166" NeedleImage="attitude_card.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="30 452" Size="68 120" Center="35 60" TableSize="3">
    <DataTable Entry0="-90.0 -270" Entry1="0.0 0.0" Entry2="90 270"/>
    </Needle1>
    <Needle2 Pos="58 107" Size="7 11" Center="4 55"/>
    </HUDAdi>
    <HUDAdiMetric BGImage="hud_guages_metric.dds" BGPos="343 170" BGSize="166 166" NeedleImage="attitude_card.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="30 452" Size="68 120" Center="35 60" TableSize="3">
    <DataTable Entry0="-90.0 -270" Entry1="0.0 0.0" Entry2="90 270"/>
    </Needle1>
    <Needle2 Pos="58 107" Size="7 11" Center="4 55"/>
    </HUDAdiMetric>
    <HUDAirspeed BGImage="hud_guages.dds" BGPos="345 343" BGSize="166 166" NeedleImage="hud_guages.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="372 22" Size="104 25" Center="31 12" Offset="90" TableSize="9">
    <DataTable Entry0="0.0 0.0" Entry1="50.0 8.0" Entry2="100.0 44.0" Entry3="150.0 89.0" Entry4="200.0 135.0" Entry5="250.0 185.0" Entry6="300.0 233.0" Entry7="400.0 263.5" Entry8="500.0 289.0" Entry9="700.0 344.0"/>
    </Needle1>
    </HUDAirspeed>
    <HUDAirspeedMetric BGImage="hud_guages_metric.dds" BGPos="345 343" BGSize="166 166" NeedleImage="hud_guages_metric.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="390 28" Size="86 15" Center="23 7" Offset="90" TableSize="11">
    <DataTable Entry0="0.0 180.0" Entry1="100.0 195.0" Entry2="150.0 220.0" Entry3="200.0 240.0" Entry4="250.0 270.0" Entry5="300.0 292.0" Entry6="400.0 350.5" Entry7="500.0 380.0" Entry8="600.0 455.0" Entry9="700.0 495.0" Entry10="800.0 555.0" Entry11="900.0 615.0"/>
    </Needle1>
    </HUDAirspeedMetric>
    <HUDAlt BGImage="hud_guages.dds" BGPos="2 344" BGSize="166 166" NeedleImage="hud_guages.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="390 28" Size="86 15" Center="23 7" Offset="90"/>
    <Needle2 Pos="387 94" Size="78 20" Center="28 10" Offset="90"/>
    <Needle3 Pos="466 59" Size="24 27" Center="-45 14" Offset="90"/>
    </HUDAlt>
    <HUDAltMetric BGImage="hud_guages_metric.dds" BGPos="2 344" BGSize="166 166" NeedleImage="hud_guages_metric.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="12 315" Size="28 20" Center="14 10" TableSize="3" WindowPos="0 45">
    <DataTable Entry0="0.0 0.0" Entry1="8.0 151.0" Entry2="15.0 276.0"/>
    </Needle1>
    <Needle2 Pos="390 28" Size="86 15" Center="23 7" Offset="-90"/>
    </HUDAltMetric>
    <HUDCompass BGIMage="hud_guages.dds" BGPos="171 343" BGSize="168 168" NeedleImage="hud_guages.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="200 17" Size="134 134" Center="67 67" Offset="0"/>
    </HUDCompass>
    <HUDCompassMetric BGIMage="hud_guages_metric.dds" BGPos="171 343" BGSize="168 168" NeedleImage="hud_guages_metric.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="200 17" Size="134 134" Center="67 67" Offset="0"/>
    </HUDCompassMetric>
    <HUDText Color="0xFF0000FF"/>
    <HUDTextMetric Color="0xFF0000FF"/>
    <HUDVsi BGImage="hud_guages.dds" BGPos="3 5" BGSize="165 165" NeedleImage="hud_guages.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="390 28" Size="86 15" Center="23 7" Offset="90" TableSize="9">
    <DataTable Entry0="-20000 98.0" Entry1="-6000.0 98.0" Entry2="-4000.0 135.0" Entry3="-2000.0 185.0" Entry4="0.0 270.0" Entry5="2000.0 355.0" Entry6="4000.0 405.0" Entry7="6000.0 442" Entry8="20000 442"/>
    </Needle1>
    </HUDVsi>
    <HUDVsiMetric BGImage="hud_guages_metric.dds" BGPos="3 5" BGSize="165 165" NeedleImage="hud_guages_metric.dds">
    <Needle1 Pos="390 28" Size="86 15" Center="23 7" Offset="90" TableSize="9">
    <DataTable Entry0="-30 135.0" Entry1="-20.0 155.0" Entry2="-10.0 185.0" Entry3="-5.0 225.0" Entry4="0.0 270.0" Entry5="5.0 315.0" Entry6="10.0 355.0" Entry7="20.0 382" Entry8="30 405"/>
    </Needle1>
    </HUDVsiMetric>
    <TacticalDisplay BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="128 128" BGScale="1.2" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/>
    <TacticalDisplayMetric BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="128 128" BGScale="1.2" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/>
    <TargetCone/>
    <TargetConeMetric/>
    <HUDPipper BGImage="reticule.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="64 64"/>
    <HUDPipperMetric BGImage="reticule.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="64 64"/>
    <LabelDisplay BGImage="brackets.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="32 32"/>
    <LabelDisplayMetric BGImage="brackets.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="32 32"/>
    </HUD>
    </Settings>
    "

Missions problem where the player airplane fails to start

rene reimann

I recently downloaded a 7 mission pack for PTO,  Pac Guadalcanal Japan & American Missions.  Six missions work Okay.  The problem is with a Japanese Seversky A8V1 Dick aircraft.  It won't start after pressing "E".  Sometines the aircraft in front of the player aircraft goes a little way down the runway and then stops.

In Quick Combat the game CTDs when I press "Fly". I have all the pylons & weapons and sound is Okay. I have changed the Player Aircraft to other Japanese planes that fly Okay. 
    Any ideas to fix this? 

ANSWER FROM a CFS3 MISSION BUILDER:
    This is a regular problem with any CFS3 add-on. I don't have PTO or this mission set, but I think you can compensate. Very often, some non-stock planes do not Auto Take-Off, especially if they are not based on re-skinned Stock planes. And some mission builders like to make the Player's plane the last one in the list. You can edit the mission file by opening the mission .xml file with NotePad, and making the First plane in the "AirFormation" list as the Player Lead plane.

This is now your plane, and you are the Leader of the mission. If you don't do this, the plane ahead of you may not take off. And even if it does, you won't be able to Warp to any waypoint. Or you can make the Last plane the Player's plane. Usually, making the Player the First or the Last plane works OK. But, if the mission builder makes the Player's plane somewhere in the middle, that is when trouble happens.

See below as an example of making your plane the IsPlayer="y".
    Don't forget that there is only 1 space between any line or section of code:
    <AirFormation ID="6001" Directive="nothing" Country="Britain" Skill="3" Payload="1" FormType="echelonleft" OffsetScaleFactor="0.599999845027924">

<Unit ID="9294" Type="lysander_mkii" IsPlayer="y" Skill="3" Payload="1"/> <Unit ID="9295" Type="lysander_mkii" Skill="3" Payload="1"/> <Unit ID="9296" Type="lysander_mkii" Skill="3" Payload="1"/> <Route ID="5002">..............

Double check your work by double clicking on the mission file, and letting Windows open it with the default XML file editor.

Seeing CFS3 model LODs

From Hairyspin:

CFS3 LODs

If you want to know what a given LOD model looks like in the sim, start up cfs3config and go to Texture Info. There's a slider which lets you set the maximum LOD displayed, so even close up (which should show LOD100) you get to see the lower LOD instead.

I tried this with the stock Typhoon at LOD26. Eeeyuk!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Rudder pedals activating ailerons problem

Known problem, easy to fix. Go into your application data folder and find the CFS3 folder. Look inside for a file called CFS3.xca - or whatever you called your controls file.xca. It'll be the only .xca file there, anyway. Open it with Windows Notepad (make it default) and scroll down until you find these lines or something similar:

</Device>
    <Device Type="Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals">
    <GameMode Name="Player">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="Set_Bank" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="Set_Pitch" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Rudder" Action="Set_Yaw" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Button ID="1" Action="Fire_Guns"/>
    <Button ID="2" Action="FireCannonsOnly"/>
    <Button ID="3" Action="ReleaseFireWeapon"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="SelectNextWeapon"/>
    <Button ID="5" Action="FLAPS_INCR"/>
    <Button ID="6" Action="FLAPS_DECR"/>
    <Button ID="7" Action="NextTarget"/>
    <Pov ID="1" Action="HeadPov"/>
    <Button ID="8" Action="TogglePadlock"/>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="M3DViewer">
    <Button ID="3" Action="ZoomIn" RepCnt="1"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="ZoomOut" RepCnt="1"/>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="Gunner">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="TraverseGun" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="ElevateGun" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    </GameMode>
    </Device>

As you can see, it's a load of rubbish. Simply paste these lines below over the lines above so as to replace them completely. Make sure you get the tags and "grammar" right!

</Device>
    <Device Type="Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals">
    <GameMode Name="Player">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="AXIS_LEFT_BRAKE_SET" Scale="65518" Nullzone="82"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET" Scale="65518" Nullzone="82"/>
    <Axis ID="Rudder" Action="Set_Yaw" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="M3DViewer">
    <Button ID="3" Action="ZoomIn" RepCnt="1"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="ZoomOut" RepCnt="1"/>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="Gunner">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="TraverseGun" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="ElevateGun" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    </GameMode>
    </Device>

Never mind the bit about the gunner, it doesn't work anyway.

Save and close, and it should work perfectly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries

AI attacks in formation groups

To get AI to attack in large formations as a group, you must follow these instructions:

Place them as pairs (2) aircraft flights..Add as many Pairs (flights) as you wish in the formation..

To keep them in formation place your way points at the same height and speed..

Place them in whatever formation you wish..

You must then make sure your Pairs (flights)
    The way point is placed with the way points matching the (Dual pairs flight path)..
    They will stay in formation and attack at the same time..

Remember the game engine is built so the AI always attack in Pairs, No Matter How many in the formation, Only two will attack at a time..

So to get large formations to attack as one unit you must load them in as two aircraft flights, with matching height and speed, and set your way points so as to allow the pairs to hold whatever formation you want by the placement of the (2) aircraft flights..

You must be able to place the way points very closely, and in time with each other..
    In this way you can get Larger Formations to attack as one.

Works very well in anti-ship and anti-ground/ Vehicle target missions..

SOH-CM-2020

Recent Scenery Addons – History

This lists recent packages, not individual items like some of the ACC houses and churches. These files are all found in SOH CFS3 Scenery archive.

This provides a massive smorgasboard of options for you to find the scenery option that you prefer. There are also a variety of texturebudget files to try (not forgetting those in ETO!).

June 2007
    gCFS3tex by Starspeeder_3000 was done to improve roads, streams and railroad textures.

October 2007
    johno_UK's jbsceneryV2 (in 3 files) was done. It included new .sm models, new object placement and a new compositetexturebudgets file.

Jan 2008
    henk then provided hi-res versions of selcted scenery tiles in new_cfs3_scen (2 files), including another option for texturebudgets files.

March 2008
    Johno_UK's massive jbsceneryV3 (6 files) was then uploaded. Presumably this is the version that went into ETO?

July 2008
    Starspeeder_3000 then updated the bridge textures in in CFS3_New_Bridge_Textures

May 2009
    rouge34rtw made the ETO_perf-visuals-32bit which came out later and provided some massive textures and revised budgets files. NBB this is in the archive under “CFS3 Other”. A useful feature is the inclusion of a guide to Config Settings

January 2010
    alain95 provided updated textures for buildings, etc in CFS3-FFD-alt_ETO. This is a 256x256 version of selected scenery including stock houses, farm barn, French Flag etc. These are nice and sharp images, not too large in size.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    This lists recent packages, not individual items like some of the ACC houses and churches. These files are all found in SOH CFS3 Scenery archive.

This provides a massive smorgasboard of options for you to find the scenery option that you prefer. There are also a variety of texturebudget files to try (not forgetting those in ETO!).
    Forget to clarify - this lists scenery addons found in the Archives section, not really new stuff like von Obens magnum opus.

SOH-CM-2020

Campaign Play - Upping the Ante

Ideas for Improving Game Play in Campaigns

I have written down the results of some fiddling around with files I've done over the past few years. Hopefully this will inspire those who enjoy campaigns to increase the challenge a bit. :salute:

Campaign Play: Upping the Ante

When a new campaign is started, a list of AI pilots is created. These pilots will fly as wingmen to the player. The AI pilots also fly the escort to the player’s missions (I think).

You can find the list of AI pilots generated for the campaign, under (in Win XP at least) My documents\whatever you’ve called the CFS3 Install\Campaigns\Your pilot’s name\*.cmpstat.

The *.cmpstat file holds the campaign statistics for a point in time. The file can be opened using notebook or a similar simple text editor. The file holds a list of the AI pilots flying in your support. For each of the AI pilots, a list of Attributes is provided. Some of these Attributes control how well the AI pilot will fly in your support in your campaign.

This discussion explores how to change the list of Attributes, so that your AI pilots fly well. It is also possible to influence the characteristics of the enemy AI pilots, so that you have a good contest.

Influencing Your AI Pilots’ Attributes

Pilotconstants.xml

The first file to modify is called the pilotconstants.xml. This file contains a series of algorithms for a whole host of AI pilot attributes, including fatigue, health, vision, whether the pilot is captured on bailout, when various types of technology are available to the AI pilot, etc etc. Again you can read the file with a simple text editor, although using an xml editor which uses different colours for different text, makes the file more intelligible.

Within the pilotconstants file, the section of most interest deals with Experience/levels/Rank. But before going into this section you need to be aware that the ranks assigned to the pilots are determined in the country.xml file, under the <countries> section. The default for CFS3 is that there are:

1. 10 Ranks
    2. 4 levels within each rank

Gaining Skill By Progressing Through the Levels

The way skill is gained is controlled by parameters within the pilotconstants file and is fairly complex. But here is an attempted explanation: the first important parameter is Experience. The pilotconstants file defines how much Experience is gained for each mission an AI pilot flies in a campaign. So an AI pilot might gain 100 experience points in a single mission if all goes well. The outcome is determined by the success of the mission.

To progress up the levels and therefore up the ranks, the pilotconstants file defines how much experience is required to attain a particular level. Also the number of levels per rank is defined (as mentioned above, the default number of levels per rank is 4).

Now the good bit is that the pilotconstants file also defines the number of skill points that are attained at each level as the AI pilot progresses up the ranks.

Pilotattributes.xml
    There is heaps more that could be looked at and tinkered with in the pilotconstants file but time and space are short so lets move on. The second file influencing the AI pilots’ attributes is (funnily enough) the pilotattributes.xml.

This is how I think it works: there are five attributes listed in this file. Each of the attributes as a default, a minimum, and a maximum value. At the start of the campaign, the AI pilots are randomly created (random in the combination of firstnames and lastnames anyway). However, what is not random are the five attributes:

1. Vision,
    2. Gtolerance,
    3. Level,
    4. Age
    5. Maxhealth.

So if you start a new campaign, create your pilot, then close out of CFS3 (saving your campaign when prompted), you can take a look at how the above attributes influence the attributes for the AI wingmen in the campaign. You simply go to the 1.cmpstat file, and take a look at the vision, gtolerance, level and other parameters for each of the AI pilots in the .cmpstat file. You can see that the starting attributes are all bounded by the pilotattributes file.

So it is important to remember that the pilotattributes file merely influences what values are assigned to each attribute for each AI pilot when they enter the campaign. After that, your AI wingmen will gain or experience, promotions, skill at a rate determined by how successful they are in each mission they fly. The parameters determining progression are set in the pilotconstants file, as explained above.

Tweaking the Files to Improve AI Wingmens’ Performance

One tweak I put in the pilotconstants file is:

<entry name="AIWingmenExperienceCap" type="int" value="3"/>
    <entry name="AIWingmenAccuracyCap" type="int" value="3"/>

The default values are 1 and 1. I think the “cap” stands for “capacity” but its not obvious.

An important tweak is to change the value in:

<entry name="StartSkillPoints_Campaign" type="int" value=" 10"/>

….from “10” to say “20”. I think this influences your AI wingmen’s starting level of skill, however it is also influenced by a matrix of the attributes defined for experience, vision, level, etc.

You can tell just by looking at vision gtolerance and level, that boosting the values for these parameters in the pilotattributes file, will boost the starting values for AI pilot attributes.

What I have found is it is possible to add attributes to the pilotattributes file.

For example, taking a useful-looking attribute from the *.cmpstat file, I added numSkillPoints as an attribute. So a pilotattributes.xml file I am using looks like this:

<Bomber>
    <Attribute Name="vision" Default="30" Min="20" Max="55"/>
    <Attribute Name="gtolerance" Default="25" Min="19" Max="36"/>
    <Attribute Name="level" Default="6" Min="4" Max="12"/>
    <Attribute Name="numSkillPoints" Default="20" Min="20" Max="100"/>
    <Attribute Name="age" Default="20" Min="19" Max="36"/>
    <Attribute Name="Maxhealth" Default="25" Min="19" Max="36"/>
    </Bomber>
    <FighterPilot>
    <Attribute Name="vision" Default="45" Min="35" Max="65"/>
    <Attribute Name="gtolerance" Default="35" Min="25" Max="50"/>
    <Attribute Name="level" Default="7" Min="4" Max="13"/>
    <Attribute Name="numSkillPoints" Default="20" Min="20" Max="100"/>
    <Attribute Name="age" Default="20" Min="19" Max="36"/>
    <Attribute Name="Maxhealth" Default="35" Min="25" Max="55"/>
    </FighterPilot>

A number of the values are tweaked compared with the default values.

The Result:

When I start a new campaign as a British fighter pilot (I am using Pat’s CFS3 BoB as a test workhorse) I get higher ranks for my AI wingmen, and higher starting skill level.

I get one or more Squadron Leaders, a swag of Flight Lieutenants, a lot of Flying Officers and only a few Pilot Officers. Boy, it is good having a bit of experience behind me when I go to tackle the Hun.

All the more important because the Hun’s performance has been improved, too.

Improving Enemy AI Skill

As discussed in the Knowledgebase sticky thread for this forum, the file Uisel.xml can be tweaked to improve enemy AI performance. The Uisel.xml file is located (in Windows XP anyway) under C:\Documents and Settings\*Username\Application Data\Microsoft\*name of your cfs3 Install. It can be edited using a simple text editing program but an xml editor makes things easier.

By default, once you have flown CFS3 a few times, and set skill levels/attributes for Quick Combat and a mission or two, the uisel file will contain parameters setting skill level for enemy air skill and enemy ground skill.

It is possible to take some of the values listed under the Missions section of the uisel file, and add them to the Campaigns section. For example, I am currently using a uisel.xml file in Pat’s BOB install, with the following campaign parameters:

<Campaign>
    <Aircraft type="string" val="Spitfire MkI 609"/>
    <AmmoPct type="uint" val="100"/>
    <FuelPct type="uint" val="87"/>
    <MissionEnemyGroundSkill type="uint" val="100"/>
    <MissionEnemySkill type="uint" val="100"/>
    <Model type="string" val="bob_spit_609"/>
    <PayloadIdx type="uint" val="0"/>
    <UseCustomAircraft type="bool" val="n"/>
    </Campaign>

The result is that, when flying a campaign, the campaign statistics has the following entry, right at the bottom of the file (an eg of a *.cmpstat file for Pat’s BoB install):

<CampaignSelections>
    <Aircraft type="string" val="Spitfire MkI 609"/>
    <AmmoPct type="uint" val="100"/>
    <FuelPct type="uint" val="87"/>
    <MissionEnemyGroundSkill type="uint" val="100"/>
    <MissionEnemySkill type="uint" val="100"/>
    <Model type="string" val="(None)"/>
    <PayloadIdx type="uint" val="0"/>
    <UseCustomAircraft type="bool" val="n"/>
    <CustomAircraft>
    </CustomAircraft>
    </CampaignSelections>

Reply With Quote Blog this Post

A very useful thread.:salute:
    Posters who added attachments please recheck if they are valid as I note some are now not.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020

Default Countries for Campaign Spawns

Countries which spawn in Campaign

Essentially, the “country.xml” spawns files listed second and third as default Axis and Allied spawns. See Ndicki’s thread August 2007:

..."I did a work-round for the Germany/USA spawns problem which I outlines on the BoF forum:

http://bof.myfastforum.org/about14.html

Basically, it seems that whichever countries, whatever their names, are placed in 2nd and 3rd positions in the country.xml will be those which provide the spawns. This leads to one or two interesting possibilities which I'm trying to exploit for BoF, involving a rather complicated but so far successful mod of Rick's original. If whoever is putting the PTO NEK together would like something a bit more concrete to have a go at, send me a PM and I'll see how I might be able to help."

"Nigel,

I don't have access to the BoF forum to see what you've added there but the 2nd/3rd country thing is indeed what seems to control the generic spawns (despite what the SDK says about how the #friendly and #enemy pickers work). Charlie Simpson's original Britain/USA swapper for CFS3 uses this "feature" and, as you know, we've setup the MAW to default to Britain rather then USA.

I always interpreted the hard coding that MS seems to have done a little differently then just the 2nd/3rd countries in the list. I use to explain it as the 1st Axis country and the 2nd Allied country. I don't recall if I ever tried setting up a country.xml file that purposely started the Axis countries somewhere below #3. Could be an interesting experiment.

Cheers,
    Rick (RCAF_gunner)"

SOH-CM-2020
    GETTING EFFECTS.XML INTO ALPHABETICAL ORDER

By Oki, January 2007

"I have done it using EXCEL and found about 100 double entries in my effects.xml (of about 2900)

that´s what I did:

1. open effects.xml with EXCEL
    2. the lines defining the effects are stacked in one column, one line per cell
    3. the first and the last row contain only the word "effects"
    4. block the cells with the effects lines (beginning with row 2, not including the words "effects") and sort in increasing order (data/sort, without heading)
    5. go through the rows from top to bottom comparing the entries, if two are identical delete one of them (careful, some are just very similar, but not identical)
    6. save as txt-file
    7. open edited txt-file and copy-paste txt into new xml document of a xml editor
    8. save as xml-file

by doing so I got an edited effects xml-file in alphabetical order with no double entries....."

SOH-CM-2020
    - - *Making aircraft more likely to appear in campaigns*

The following is an historic thread, a little dated perhaps, but I include it unedited. Just make of it what you will. I like the bit about the loadouts for xdp files, the need to include all the mission types, and how they influence spawning - I think there is something in this.....

<showthread.php?t=8161>
    (/http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8161/)

2DarkWolf2 27th October 10:23 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Making aircraft more likely to appear in campaigns*

Hi,

I recently downloaded an He111 and the BF110. I added them to my campaign files with an entry date thats insures they would show up from the start. I tried starting a german fighter and bomber campaign, and both aircraft are there, availiable to fly.

I've flown probobly 2 dozen missions as allies since doing this, and have yet to encounter either of these aircraft. All I keep seeing is 109s, 190s, Ju88s and Me410s (I have Firepower). Is there a way I can make these aircraft more likely to appear? Is there something else I have to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

2DW2

viso 27th October 02:28 PM

They should appear.

My understanding is that aircraft will spawn during a campaign provided that (1) they have nationalities of British, German, or USA and (2) they are available during the campaign period and (3) they are appropriate for the misson type.

With the Battle of France campaign, I've seen spawns of all the aircraft I've built (thus far), so the mechanism seems to be working.

Daiwilletti 27th October 03:02 PM

*spawn files?*

perhaps Viso's post has an important clue. I've often wondered about this. It would be good to have more of the aircraft I've added to a campaign.xml appear as spawns.

Perhaps if the loadouts and mission types in the major spawn types are checked (and also the chances of particular spawns occurring are tweaked), and then the aircraft .xdp files are checked for loadouts and mission types, the playing field could be tilted in favour of your favourite aircraft in a campaign...

Then again, someone may have a simpler solution (why does the Firepower
    410 turn up so readily?)

2DarkWolf2 27th October 03:23 PM

Well I think I've satisfied the first and second criteria viso mentioned. The two aircraft appear in the german column in the quick combat menus, and I assume the fact that they both appear as usable from the start in a german campaign means the date is right. The 3rd I can't say myself, I'd think they should be the same as a Ju88 or Me410.

I've noticed the same thing as you Daiwilletti, the Me410 certainly shows up alot, I'd say just as much as the 109 and 190.

2DW2

Mixxa II 27th October 05:54 PM

Each aircraft has the comment "Priority" in the xdp file maybe you can change this value to influence which aircraft gets spawned as AI.

Justin

2DarkWolf2 28th October 05:36 AM

Has changing the priority setting ever been tested by anyone?

Here's what I see so far for priorities

109-G6 = 1
    190-A5 = 2
    Me410a = 2
    Bf110 = 1
    Ju88 C6 = 3
    Ju88 P4 = 3
    Ju88 A4 = 2
    He111 = 2

At first glance it seems like these numbers could be indicative of what aircraft are more likely to show up, but I would still have expected the Bf110 to show more vs the Me109.

2DW2

Johann Steve 28th October 06:20 AM

no my friend acording to the SDK: *

Priority*
    Type: Integer
    Default: ?0?

Used to influence AI target selection. Potential target objects with higher priority values are more likely to be selected as targets by AI aircraft.

I think that more spawn files can be fine: with the BoB`s spawns some rare things can happen when I fly missions or capaigns like.. 4 FW200 escorted by me 262 or groups of me 262 with only one He 162 volksjager..also check the following sections.

AllowSpawn
    LeftService
    EnteredService

Good luck!!

Mixxa II 28th October 11:48 AM

The stock game spawns use the "enemy" selection, unfortunety the way the game is coded enemy means
    fly for the Allies and you get German enemies
    fly for the Axis and you get USA enemies (not RAF)

To introduce other countrys aircraft you have to make AI standalones of all your RAF planes and change the country tag to "USA", then you will see the Brit planes in your campaign.
    This also is the same for the ships, vehicles as well.

Now in the spawn files for individual missions you can select any country you want, so when weve made missions we choose the country depending on the theatre.

In all of our mission packs we use spawns so as to make them more varied each time you fly them. For example in the Italian Stallions we use Britain, USA, Italy and German spawns, in Wulfmans Bob set I think he would have used German and Britain spawns and if you use the spawn disabler from Groundcrew then those are the only aircraft you will see spawned.

The other most important thing about spawns is that the aircraft need to have the correct entered service and left service dates, *most dont*, most of them will spawn all through the war.
    The spawn checks the date of the mission your flying and then spawns aircraft active on that date as listed in the aircraft xdp file under the entered service and left service dates.

Another thing the spawns need is the aircrafts xdp loadout section to be done correctly, they must have the mission type (ie strike, CAS, antiship and others) added to the different loadouts. If not then sometimes spawned aircraft will just fly past their ground or shipping targets without attacking because they dont know what weapons to attack with.

Quote:

<Loadouts InternalPylons="1">
    <Loadout Name="Clean"
    *MissionType="Escort,CAP,Intercept,Sweep,Nothing,B omber_Intercep t*"/>
    <Loadout Name="(2)500lb Bombs">
    <Hardpoint ID="0" PylonType="pylon_null_double" PayloadType="B_500lbMOS"
    Quantity="3"/>
    </Loadout>
    <Loadout Name="(4)250lb Bombs">
    <Hardpoint ID="0" PylonType="pylon_null_double" PayloadType="B_250lb"
    Quantity="3"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="1" PylonType="pylon_MOS_0" PayloadType="B_250lb"
    Quantity="1"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="2" PylonType="pylon_MOS_0" PayloadType="B_250lb"
    Quantity="1"/>
    </Loadout>
    <Loadout Name="(2)250lb+(2)500lb Bombs" *MissionType="Search_Destroy">*
    Quantity="3"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="1" PylonType="pylon_MOS_0" PayloadType="B_250lb"
    Quantity="1"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="2" PylonType="pylon_MOS_0" PayloadType="B_250lb"
    Quantity="1"/>
    </Loadout>
    <Loadout Name="(4)500lb Bombs" *MissionType="Strike">*
    Quantity="3"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="1" PylonType="pylon_MOS_0" PayloadType="B_500lbMOS"
    Quantity="1"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="2" PylonType="pylon_MOS_0" PayloadType="B_500lbMOS"
    Quantity="1"/>
    </Loadout>
    <Loadout Name="(8)Rockets+(2)500lb Bombs" *MissionType="CAS,Anti_Ship">*
    Quantity="3"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="1" PylonType="pylon_MOS_1" PayloadType="b_rocket"
    Quantity="15"/>
    <Hardpoint ID="2" PylonType="pylon_MOS_2" PayloadType="b_rocket"
    Quantity="15"/>
    </Loadout>
    </Loadouts>

Dont forget after you make changes to any entrys in the xdp to delete the planes bdp file or else the changes wont be recognised by the sim

Of course none of the above is helping out with making aircraft appear more or less often in a campaign, I guess that just comes down to how many aircraft in your aircraft folder and how many versions of each type (fighter_bomber, tactical_bomber and level_bomber) you have available for the spawn files to choose from.

Justin

Redwolf 29th October 03:31 AM

Hmmm, just a thought...

But would adding stand-alones of a said aircraft increase its frequency of spawning? For example, add a second stand alone of a P-38 (and enable spawn) with the result being double the chances of encountering one. Seem intuitively correct...but not sure. Anyone know?

Mixxa II 29th October 03:48 AM

Yep the more standalones the more chances that type will show up.

Justin

Johann Steve 29th October 07:07 AM

*Drug for the memory and a tip:*

1 Attachment(s)
    About the spawns of planes if you want to have ONLY brthish OR American spawns (vehicles,planes,and ships) in campaign or missions you must have the programm called "cswap" of Martin wright that comes with the NEK redux edition this have a bug in one *.XML but someone I don`t remember who, did an excellent job correcting the file and works excellent. This program only switch between usa and Great britain natonalities.

TIP:
    If you don`t like to have stand alones in your menu convert the planes to AI planes editing the *.AIR file value called: aircraft type from 0 to 2

Good luck!!

Eraser 29th October 12:28 PM

I have a few ideas for getting non german and american spawns working after looking through the spawn files:

1.In spawn files(which also get used for generating random spawns in campaigns) They have both a country (#enemy) and type which can either be something general like #fighter #fighter_bomber, #tactical_bomber or #level_bomber, OR they can be a specific aircraft like FW_190A_8. What if we put the country as germany or #enemy, but set the type to a specific aircraft that isn't german, like say 3ja_a6m2 or something, and perhaps a zero will spawn instead of a german plane.

2. there are these modifier parameters in the spawn files, perhaps something can be added there to get the spawns to pick different nations.

Charlie 29th October 03:08 PM

you might as well call everthing Allied USA, then write a bat file to rename the GVP files. When you want to fly for the other side.

but then again your going to have problems pre 1943/DC Aircaft selection, its all Furbar dont ya think/?/

The other option is to use the util that martin and I coded.

Anyhoo dont take any notice, just do what you like,then learn from it, lifes one big learning curve

Mosaic (.MOS) file editor in Windows 7

The Mosaic File editor is used to apply visual damage effects to a model (bullet holes etc) and in scenery and facility development. It uses particular DirectX 9 components and it was thought this made use under Windows 7 - which uses a later version of DirectX - impossible. Happily this is not true!
    Since gecko gave me the lowdown on getting this working. I can now do all my development work in Windows 7, which suits me very well!

The MOS file editor can work in Windows 7. It needs the following:-

1. the Microsoft .NET framework: this is already included in the operating system.
    2. DirectX 9.0c: yes I know Win7 has a later version of DirectX included, but you need 9.0c to run the MOS editor and Win7 will allow it to coexist with later versions. :isadizzy:
      http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    3. Managed DirectX. This is buried in the middle of the multi-megabyte DirectX 9 SDK, but you can find it as an individual download elsewhere. It's now in the Download Library here at SOH.

Install these in the order given so it's DirectX 9.0c first, Managed DirectX second. The MOS editor will now run as desired.

The final gotcha - and for this I really want to thank gecko - is telling the editor where the .dds files referenced by a .mos file are:-

"you do have to show the editor where to find the .dds files or it won't load. To do this click the options tab and click directories from the dropdown menu. Under the texture directories box click add and then navigate to the directory where the textures used by the mos are stored. If they are in more than one folder you will have to do this for each folder that contains textures called by the mos file"
    You should now be able to edit .mos files under Windows 7. Note there are two .mos editors available for CFS3 and the one to go for is part of the Terrain SDK for CFS3: it includes limited help files.

The same solution may also work for Vista and I'd really like to hear from anyone who has a try at this: please note that .NET framework is also included in Vista.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7