New Star Trek Movie - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek Movie

Quote Originally Posted by simkid22 View Post

(link to higher res image http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress...enterprise.jpg )
    At first I didn't like the new ship but from this view a lot of the original shines through. This will probably give away how much of a Trekkie I am but the new nacelles seem out of place. The top clear section seems to fit in between ships of The Motion Picture and The Next Generation. At least another refit after the Constitution Class refit for the motion picture. I wish they just keep the nacelles from The Original Series ships with the bland top. On the bright side the Bussard collectors (the red spinning things on the front of the nacelles) look awesome! (maybe someone else out there understood what i said? :redf Oh well cant wait to see the new ship in action!

Okay. Well. Sure, I'm going to sound like a complete tool when I say this, but that's nothing new. :costumes:

Here we go! I am a big fan of SciFi hardware, and this takes my vote for ugliest Federation starship design, ever. Looks like what would happen if you crossed a 70's Japanese battery operated toy and a Hallmark ornament together. I really do hope this is all just some weird time-travel fantasy movie. I think I am actually being traumatized by the more I see of this....

I can't believe they are making a movie that is starting to make Star Trek V: The Final Frontier look good....
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    My son (25 years young) and I always get into a friendly debate regarding the Original series that I grew up with and the Next Generation that he grew up with. It's the usual things, Kirk vs Picard, NCC1701 vs NCC1701-D, etc. And it'll rock along until I remind him that without the Original series, there wouldn't be a Next Gen ! :costumes:

An afterthought: You know you're getting old when you see the re-re-re-mastered DVD's of the Original Trek coming out !!!!
    I can tell you very clearly why I like the original series better. First off, this is nothing against the newer series. I liked them all, and thought they all got better as they went along. I felt that Enterprise got especially harsh and unfair treatment online from my brother nerds. They seemed (to me) to have decided not to like it when it was in pre-production, and then became invested in that decision like they were sticking to Wedding Vows. Besides the sentiment I have for TOS for being the series I literally grew up with, I felt that in TNG in particular, the cast was so Morally Correct in every instance that they were sometimes barely recognizible as human. This was greatly facilitated by having an empath on the bridge, which I think killed a lot of dramatic potential. Just think for a moment how much more incisive your personal interactions would be if you knew what everyone intended. Now, this is what some people want from their (fictional) heroes, and I recognize that, but to me a major part of the human experience is in the Clay Feet. Give me whiskey driniking skirt-chasing James T. Kirk any day!!!

Hit your son with that, Odie, and let me know what happens.

JAMES

PS I read in an old issue of TV Guide I'd been holding on to in which a somewhat frustrated Garrent Wang says that Rick Berman instructed the Voyager cast to tone down all their emotions in order to sell the alien characters. If accurate, and not a post-cancellation gripe, this explains a very great deal...
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

I have always been an Old Series kind of guy, grew up watching the reruns and saw each movie about a half dozen times. I enjoyed TNG, but it was never the same. Like I said before, the new movie breathes new life in Star Trek and at this point I think I will take it anyway I can.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

I remember when I was a kid, and I had to beg to stay up late to watch it every week! :costumes:
    Regards,
    Robert

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    True and if Kirk is a CAPTAIN, boy he sure is young....

On the other hand, maybe everyone started out in COMMAND positions on a starship as Ensigns...

*Update*

I see the character of Christopher Pike is in the movie. Hopefully this means that Kirk is just a crewmember on board the Enterprise and not her Captain :mixedsmi:

Happiness Consultant
    I'll catch it on HBO when it comes out.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

*Update*

I see the character of Christopher Pike is in the movie. Hopefully this means that Kirk is just a crewmember on board the Enterprise and not her Captain :mixedsmi:
    Your right. I remember seeing a picture of Pike now....

Except after Kirk graduated from the academy, his first ship was the U.S.S. Faragut. He never served with Pike.

Think my geekiness is showing... :redf:

:costumes:

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Your right. I remember seeing a picture of Pike now....

Except after Kirk graduated from the academy, his first ship was the U.S.S. Faragut. He never served with Pike.

Think my geekiness is showing... :redf:

:costumes:
    However,
    Since Pike was an Enterprise Captain, perhaps Kirk is still serving under him in this movies...

However,
    Since Pike was an Enterprise Captain, perhaps Kirk is still serving under him in this movies...
    Kirk is definitely NOT a Captain in this retelling. Go HERE: http://www.trektoday.com/news/201108_01.shtml

Be sure to visit the links near the bottom of the page marked "here, here, here, and here." BEWARE OF SPOILERS...

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

I'm a big time Star Trek Geek, and I frankly have been watching the series of shows since the very beginning. I never got especially attached to any specific series, I like them all, including the Enterprise series. I've been waiting for this movie for a while, and can't wait to see it. I've had the chance to meet many of the stars that have been on all of the series, including most of the original series cast. I even was at a 50th birthday party for one cast member of DS9, JG Hertzler (General Martok of the Klingon Empire).

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I am a Star Trek TNG fan. Loved that series. The 'mechanics' of the sciences all seemed more believeable to me in TNG.

But, I have to say, Subcommander DePahl really opened my eyes in the new series Enterprise. When it hit SciFi channel, I became a big time fan. Not as great as TNG, but real close. (Cool seeing how they were learning the basics of the transporter system).

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Silver Fox
    The new Enterprise looks like it logically fits between NX-01 Enterprise and NCC-1701A Enterprise.

That is bound to upset Trekkies because the series "Enterprise" violated Star Trek canon so often. Enterprise got short-shrift from the Trekkies and was doomed before it ever had a chance, far too much bad press was circulated around before the series found it's feet.

Trekkers (if you don't understand the difference... why are you reading a 3 page thread?) are more forgiving. It's the vision of Star Trek that is important, not the look. Canon be damned, some of it never made sense anyway! The first Romulan/Terran war was fought with sublight ships? How would that work, and will NCC-1701JXVBBDFG Enterprise be on hand to tell the combatants (when they finally meet) that the Romulans and Terrans have been allies for 10,000 years? As a Trekker myself, I only hope that the new movie corrects the flaws in canon, let's not add new mistakes into the mix. Enterprise should be the starting point... if established canon doesn't mesh with what was shown in Enterprise then fix it or "Star Trek" it away.

btw Bill, it was Subcommander T'Pol. The "T'P" start to a Vulcan female's name is common, if not universal. Think of the Vulcan radical/future matriarch T'Pau or Spock's betrothed, T'Pring.

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    I can't believe they are making a movie that is starting to make Star Trek V: The Final Frontier look good....
    Amen to that, brother..not a treekie, but a follower of the Force..but i never miss a good sci fi+good effects flick.....

Prowler

Silver Fox
    You know, the worst part of a new Star Trek release is that it involves not one wait (for the movie's release)... but two waits.

Until the DVD release there isn't a good chance to see what jokes the production staff have played with systems displays, plaques and other barely seen material.

Since TNG it's been fun to look for those jokes... now it's going to be awhile before I get a chance to find them. There are some classic easter eggs in those displays like the one bathroom on 1701D, the Medical Status display that has a readout for "Medical Insurance Remaining" (it flatlines and you're dead) or the Engineering Display that had a selection for "Tonight on HBO".

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I am a Star Trek TNG fan. Loved that series. The 'mechanics' of the sciences all seemed more believeable to me in TNG.

But, I have to say, Subcommander DePahl really opened my eyes in the new series Enterprise. When it hit SciFi channel, I became a big time fan. Not as great as TNG, but real close. (Cool seeing how they were learning the basics of the transporter system).

Bill
    I enjoyed Enterprise too, it had good plots and good characters. I think the fan base put to much emphasis on CANON rules for the show and that is why it didn't last and the fact the network it was on jerked it around on its schedule so much no one really knew when it was going to be on. I used to watch TNG and Voyager, but DS9 bored me to tears.. Still watched it though, just because it was Trek.

I would have really like to have seen some made for TV movies for Enterprise, I think it really had alot more story to tell.

As far as the New Enterprise, I like.. I remember the first time I saw the Enterprise D, I thought it looked pretty awkward compared to that of the Enterprise from the movies and it took some time for it to grow on me. Now, the Enterprise from TNG movies was pretty cool..

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    As far as the New Enterprise, I like.. I remember the first time I saw the Enterprise D, I thought it looked pretty awkward compared to that of the Enterprise from the movies and it took some time for it to grow on me. Now, the Enterprise from TNG movies was pretty cool..
    I never met an Enterprise I didn't like, from the NX all the way through to the -J, but I always thought the coolest ship was the K't'inga Class Klingon battlecruiser. I never took to the TNG Klingon ships. I also really liked the new Romulan Warbirds from Nemisis, even though I thought the movie was somewhat muddled.

JAMES

PS Why are the control panels on Federation starships always blowing up? Don't they have circuit breakers in the 24th Century?

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Nemesis was a sad way to end TNG saga. I had always hoped for one more movie, one more grand finale from them..

Silver Fox
    Agreed that Nemesis was not a good way for the saga of Picard, et al, to end... the story doesn't seem to end there naturally. I always thought they would go down fighting the Borg or some similar massive threat.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I agree as well...

I remember back in their first TNG movie, when they blew up NCC-1701D (Galaxy Class from TNG) and crash landed the saucer section on that planet.. I was so pissed. I almost walked out of the movie.

Every now and then, there is a cool 'drum drum drum' sound from TV or a song, and I think of the reactor core making that cool sound, lolol.... Warp 9+ was boom-boom-boom in rapid order, while Warp 3+ was a slow dooom.. dooom.... doooom.. Sort of like a steam engine on a sailing ship... (or project Aurora Borealis, streaking accross the skies over the Atlantic at high atmosphere, her concussion reaction engines ripping the sound barrier to pieces, reaking out the fishing boats down below).

:d

Bill

EDIT: Those music thumper cars with the powerful sound systems driving down the road near the house at night were the notorius ones that reminded me of warp core reactors going 'thump' in the night.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I agree as well...

I remember back in their first TNG movie, when they blew up NCC-1701D (Galaxy Class from TNG) and crash landed the saucer section on that planet.. I was so pissed. I almost walked out of the movie.

Every now and then, there is a cool 'drum drum drum' sound from TV or a song, and I think of the reactor core making that cool sound, lolol.... Warp 9+ was boom-boom-boom in rapid order, while Warp 3+ was a slow dooom.. dooom.... doooom.. Sort of like a steam engine on a sailing ship... (or project Aurora Borealis, streaking accross the skies over the Atlantic at high atmosphere, her concussion reaction engines ripping the sound barrier to pieces, reaking out the fishing boats down below).

:d

Bill

EDIT: Those music thumper cars with the powerful sound systems driving down the road near the house at night were the notorius ones that reminded me of warp core reactors going 'thump' in the night.

Three times I've teared up while watching a Star Trek movie:

Kirk's inspection tour of the Enterprise, in Star Trek:The Motion Picture. Wow she looked great.

The Enterprise self-destructing in Star Trek III: The Voyage Home. I still get verklempt.

The Enterprise-D crashing in Star Trek: Generations, although the Enterprise-E was a lovely replacement.

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

Here's a link to my Google search results for the Enterprise-J. http://www.google.com/search?rls=GGL...1701-J&aq=f&oq= I have associates who didn't believe there was such a ship. (Enterprise was beneath them.) If I remember correctly, a 30th Century Temporal Agent takes Jonathan Archer on board to watch a pivitol battle between the Federation and the Sphere Builders in the 27th Century.

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Question

Did you watch the movie "Star Trek: Of Gods & Men"...:ques:

Don't know who that was directed at. I'll comment, seen it. Love it. Like to enjoy more of that tasty stuff. :d

Silver Fox
    It's funny, but every Star Trek fan I've ever spoken to "heard" the computer on NCC-1701A say "4". It's not in the soundtrack, but that doesn't seem to matter.

From five to zero, no command in the universe can prevent the computer from fulfilling its destruct order.
    I remember a gasp in the audience when I first saw it... the fans knew that Enterprise was dead.

Just finished watching. Thanks for the heads-up, Panther. Some of the fan films are BETTER than the multi-million dollar Hollywood offerings. Yes, I said it.

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)