New Star Trek Movie
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek Movie

New Star Trek Movie

Have you guys seen the new trailer...? Looks pretty good.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Hey....! Looking good!

San Francisco Ship Yards.

It will be cool when we start putting huge craft in space. I hope I live to see it.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Kirk ruined a perfectly good Vette! :d

MCDesigns
    Dang, wanted to watch it, but it requires quicktime (refuse to install that again!)

I'm always up for a new Star Trek movie, and this looks like a nice one. If you go to the official site, there are some great images, they almost look like younger versions of the original cast and I love the detailed, slightly modern versions of the original uniforms, sweet!

I was a HUGE fan of the original series when I was young, had a model tricorder and phaser and my Mom made me an authentic looking outfit when I was 12. I remember William Shatner doing a speaking presentation at A&M and my parents took me and I dressed up for it, LOL.

Add another future must see movie to the list (next to Thor and the Captain America movies! LOL)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Dang, wanted to watch it, but it requires quicktime (refuse to install that again!)
    I watched it on my iPhone...:mixedsmi:

Well, I have to say it, and it'll be offensive to some fans out there. My apologies up front...

After seeing that trailer this past weekend, I no longer have an interest in seeing this movie next May. I am completely tired of the predictable, formula made, ripped off from "The Matrix" slow motion action scenes, only action oriented, plot lacking, over sexed, over-hyped and over-advertised, "re-imaginings" that Hollywood feels so compelled to strictly make these days. Frankly this looks like, in my opinion, just any other craptastic summer movie made in the last 10 years.

I don't think I was the only one who felt this way when they saw the trailer in the theater. Stunned silence is the best way to describe the audience reaction after they were completely pummeled with this trailer before the start of the Bond flick.

Yes, I'm old and crabby and I don't like my Star Trek universe changed for strictly monetary gain of a major motion picture studio. So, I'll stick to the remastered Original Series DVD's, they are wonderful, beautiful, well cast, and still have terrific stories to this very day. Good writing, that is why the original series has lasted nearly a half century so far, not mindless, action oriented, sexually overflowing drivel like what I'm seeing in this upcoming flick's preview. Yeah, we all know Kirk was the ladies man, but he was a gentleman first. I'm very disappointed in the downward direction Paramount has decided to take the "Star Trek Universe", in case it wasn't obvious to anyone at this point.

Again, sorry. This rant has been boiling in me since the weekend.
    In the genre of Dr. Cox, "Flame away, Martha. I'm a big boy".

"No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Well, I have to say it, and it'll be offensive to some fans out there. My apologies up front...

After seeing that trailer this past weekend, I no longer have an interest in seeing this movie next May. I am completely tired of the predictable, formula made, ripped off from "The Matrix" slow motion action scenes, only action oriented, plot lacking, over sexed, over-hyped and over-advertised, "re-imaginings" that Hollywood feels so compelled to strictly make these days. Frankly this looks like, in my opinion, just any other craptastic summer movie made in the last 10 years.

I don't think I was the only one who felt this way when they saw the trailer in the theater. Stunned silence is the best way to describe the audience reaction after they were completely pummeled with this trailer before the start of the Bond flick.

Yes, I'm old and crabby and I don't like my Star Trek universe changed for strictly monetary gain of a major motion picture studio. So, I'll stick to the remastered Original Series DVD's, they are wonderful, beautiful, well cast, and still have terrific stories to this very day. Good writing, that is why the original series has lasted nearly a half century so far, not mindless, action oriented, sexually overflowing drivel like what I'm seeing in this upcoming flick's preview. Yeah, we all know Kirk was the ladies man, but he was a gentleman first. I'm very disappointed in the downward direction Paramount has decided to take the "Star Trek Universe", in case it wasn't obvious to anyone at this point.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I noticed your from Brookings, SD there Dain. Just spent 30+ hours on a layover down in Sioux Falls yesterday (got back this afternoon).
    Cheers,
    Dave

I am just glad to see Star Trek with some new life in it.

Dr. Cox is to cool!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I noticed your from Brookings, SD there Dain. Just spent 30+ hours on a layover down in Sioux Falls yesterday (got back this afternoon).
    My heartfelt and deepest apologies. Oh, Soo Foo isn't that bad of a town I guess... :costumes:

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I am just glad to see Star Trek with some new life in it.

Dr. Cox is to cool!
    I agree. Any Trek is usually fine with me, but I felt a little bit of my youth die inside when I saw that trailer. This is the same guy that did "Cloverfield" by the way... :costumes:

I'd be ecstatic if I found out I was totally and absolutely wrong next May about this newest Trek movie, but my gut is telling me differently. I had this same gut feeling about the Tim Burton version of "Planet Of The Apes". Sorry to re-open that horrible old wound. Should have listened to my gut then. I knew Marky Mark was no Chuck Heston. :isadizzy:

MCDesigns
    So curious Dain, any newer movies you like and what are they?

dain, there is alot you said that isn't hard to agree with. (for me)
    especially the part about marky mark :costumes:

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    So curious Dain, any newer movies you like and what are they?
    Maybe eating a bit of crow here. This year, I thought "Ironman" was okay, perfectly cast with Robert Downley, Jr.

The Batman flick, "The Dark Knight" was outstanding. Sad about Heath Ledger. But they finally got it right with that movie. Shows you can make a good superhero flick afterall when you have good writing.

I have recently gone to the movie, "Fireproof". Technically not a great movie, only made with a budget of $500,000, but the story was a good one, and original. Highly recommend it.

Last year liked "Hot Fuzz". Quintin Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez "Grindhouse" movies were enjoyable. The Edith Piaf biopic, "La Vie En Rose". Enjoyed "Charlie Wilson's War". Not great movies but still liked, "The Astronaut Farmer" (Guy builds own Mercury space capsule, goes to space, satisfied a personal fantasy there ) and "Mr. Bean's Holiday". Always been a Rowan Atkinson fan.

Otherwise I find myself having shifted to watching a lot of movies these days from the 1920's to 1980's on DVD. Actually right now watching season 5 of "Mission: Impossible", and re-watching the entire "Due South" series with my best friend. I have her and her youngest son hooked on the adventures of Constable Benton Fraser of the R.C.M.P. and his half-wolf Diefenbaker.

Okay that's way more about me than I want to go any further on about. Feel like its too much about me at this point. :costumes:

Heck the only new movie I've watched this year was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And I have to admit that once I started getting into it, I enjoyed it. But then I always was an Indy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Heck the only new movie I've watched this year was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And I have to admit that once I started getting into it, I enjoyed it. But then I always was an Indy fan.
    I went to it. It was okay. No major complaints, you got what you paid for, and it paid off for entertainment. But it just seemed like Indy (Harrison Ford) was....tired. :costumes:

My heartfelt and deepest apologies. Oh, Soo Foo isn't that bad of a town I guess... :costumes:

I agree. Any Trek is usually fine with me, but I felt a little bit of my youth die inside when I saw that trailer. This is the same guy that did "Cloverfield" by the way... :costumes:

I'd be ecstatic if I found out I was totally and absolutely wrong next May about this newest Trek movie, but my gut is telling me differently. I had this same gut feeling about the Tim Burton version of "Planet Of The Apes". Sorry to re-open that horrible old wound. Should have listened to my gut then. I knew Marky Mark was no Chuck Heston. :isadizzy:

Hmm, Cloverfield huh? I am still trying to figure what I watched there. I think I enjoyed the Southpark recreation of Cloverfield, giant hampsters attacking the citizens of Southpark.

Nonetheless, I am anxious to see the new Trek movie. If anything just to see the Enterprise and Leonard Nimoy in a cameo again on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    Hmm, Cloverfield huh? I am still trying to figure what I watched there. I think I enjoyed the Southpark recreation of Cloverfield, giant hampsters attacking the citizens of Southpark.
    It's rare anymore, but South Park still has its moments.

I saw the trailer before Quantum of Solace. I'll reserve judgement until the film comes out. One thing that did catch my attention was that it looked like Spock was laying the smack down on Kirk. Fans will remember that this has happened before; after Kirk made a comment about Spock's Mama. In my neighborhood this does not do. I guess it's the same in deep space...

Dain, I do understand some of your trepidation, but you let Kirk slide on being a ho. The character was always very promiscuous; neck and neck with 007, and there were always plenty of scantily clad sex kittens bouncing around. He should really have children all over the galaxy. Interesting tidbit: According to Gene Roddenberry, in the original treatment for Star Trek the crew was 50/50 male/female, and there were women in command positions; the network poo-pooed the crew ratio because the audience would think "there was a lot of fooling around up there" and simply wouldn't believe men taking orders from women. They finally settled on a 30 percent female crew ratio. I have a theory that Kirk functioned as a bit of a doppelganger for Gene Roddenberry, but you have to have read Nichelle Nichols' memoir on the series to know what I'm talking about. Interesting tidbit #2: According to Ms. Nichols, she nearly left the show at one point over what I shall politely call "on-set melodrama" - but Martin Luther King Jr. made a personal appeal that she remain on the show so that young viewers could see a future where people of different ethnic groups worked together.

JAMES

PS The remake of Planet of the Apes did suck.
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

MCDesigns
    Maybe eating a bit of crow here. This year, I thought "Ironman" was okay, perfectly cast with Robert Downley, Jr.

The Batman flick, "The Dark Knight" was outstanding. Sad about Heath Ledger. But they finally got it right with that movie. Shows you can make a good superhero flick afterall when you have good writing.

I have recently gone to the movie, "Fireproof". Technically not a great movie, only made with a budget of $500,000, but the story was a good one, and original. Highly recommend it.

Last year liked "Hot Fuzz". Quintin Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez "Grindhouse" movies were enjoyable. The Edith Piaf biopic, "La Vie En Rose". Enjoyed "Charlie Wilson's War". Not great movies but still liked, "The Astronaut Farmer" (Guy builds own Mercury space capsule, goes to space, satisfied a personal fantasy there ) and "Mr. Bean's Holiday". Always been a Rowan Atkinson fan.

Otherwise I find myself having shifted to watching a lot of movies these days from the 1920's to 1980's on DVD. Actually right now watching season 5 of "Mission: Impossible", and re-watching the entire "Due South" series with my best friend. I have her and her youngest son hooked on the adventures of Constable Benton Fraser of the R.C.M.P. and his half-wolf Diefenbaker.

Okay that's way more about me than I want to go any further on about. Feel like its too much about me at this point. :costumes:
    Thanks Dain, we are the same age and I was curious what you did like. I actually disliked batman for the reasons you liked it, I want my superhero to not have internal conflicts, be in control and for the villain to not take center stage in the movie, but obviously I am a minority since it did so well at the box office. I agree with Ironman, great flick and look forward to the 2nd one

Out of my rather large DVD collection the movies I find myself watching over and over again are King Aurthur (Clive Owen), Kingdom of Heaven (Orlando Bloom), the Kingdom (Jamie Fox), Sense and Sensibility (chick flick, I know), Crossfire trail (Tom Selleck) and the first Jurassic park, LOL.

One thing that DOES bother me is that the bridge is entirely TOO MODERN! :isadizzy:

Blog Entries
    Panther, How can a bridge built in the year 2500, or so, be TOO modern by today's standards? Actually, I think by that time there will be NO controls and bridges like we know today. Everyone will be connected directly to computers and just think maneuvers.

BTW Dain, I quit going to movies when they started having ads. I'll be damned before I pay good money to watch commercials before the movie. I may average one movie every two years.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    Dain, I do understand some of your trepidation, but you let Kirk slide on being a ho. The character was always very promiscuous; neck and neck with 007, and there were always plenty of scantily clad sex kittens bouncing around. He should really have children all over the galaxy. Interesting tidbit: According to Gene Roddenberry, in the original treatment for Star Trek the crew was 50/50 male/female, and there were women in command positions; the network poo-pooed the crew ratio because the audience would think "there was a lot of fooling around up there" and simply wouldn't believe men taking orders from women....
    That was called, "The Sixties", man!

Yes I know the network execs were aghast when the future Mrs. Roddenberry was Captain Pike's "Number One" in the Pilot. It's been rumored by J.J. Abrahms there will be no references to Captains Pike or April.

I have never claimed what Kirk was doing was okay, and I think the classic line by Dr. McCoy in "The Undiscovered Country", "What is it with you anyway?" pretty much sums it up. :costumes:

I definitely agree Kirk was Roddenberry's "alter-ego" at the time. Ian Fleming once admitted "James Bond" was his alter ego, and he actually seemed to live a bit like Bond in the bedroom it has been said. I always felt like Picard was the "later" Roddenberry, wiser and a bit older in life. More like the captain of a sailing ship who's been doing it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    One thing that DOES bother me is that the bridge is entirely TOO MODERN! :isadizzy:

Exactly. :isadizzy: I think that pic says it all....

Looks like they are working out of a Las Vegas hotel... :costumes:

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Panther, How can a bridge built in the year 2500, or so, be TOO modern by today's standards?
    I should've said "too modern compared to the original series".....:mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post

Rememer, the story line has something to do with time travel (again). As such, I don't think that bridge is supposed to be that of the original series Enterprise.
    Cheers,
    Dave

That was called, "The Sixties", man!

Yes I know the network execs were aghast when the future Mrs. Roddenberry was Captain Pike's "Number One" in the Pilot. It's been rumored by J.J. Abrahms there will be no references to Captains Pike or April.

I have never claimed what Kirk was doing was okay, and I think the classic line by Dr. McCoy in "The Undiscovered Country", "What is it with you anyway?" pretty much sums it up. :costumes:

I definitely agree Kirk was Roddenberry's "alter-ego" at the time. Ian Fleming once admitted "James Bond" was his alter ego, and he actually seemed to live a bit like Bond in the bedroom it has been said. I always felt like Picard was the "later" Roddenberry, wiser and a bit older in life. More like the captain of a sailing ship who's been doing it for a while.
    No hate, Dain. I know exactly what you mean; a lot of these "re-imaginings" suck. I'm willing to reserve judgement, though; I remember how many of my brother nerds were up in arms about Battlestar Galactica, tearing their hair out, crying blasphemy as thought they were Jeremiah himself. Now, I personally think the re-imagined show is the equal, in purely dramatic terms, to any show currently on televison, and that includes the critic's darlings like Mad Men, which is also full of sex. We'll see, is all I'm saying. I also know what you mean about the battering ram trailers, but the studios only have a few minutes to grab your attention, and let's face it, sex sells. When Phoebe Cates came out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, she had my COMPLETE attention. I can't even listen to the Cars anymore without coming to attention.

JAMES

PS Panther, I was watching Alien yesterday, and noticed how all the Nostromo's science fiction supercomputers with their old-school CRT monitors seemed, well, quaint... I have a very good friend who doesn't seem to have anything good to say about Sigorney Weaver; but she fails to realize what Lt. Ripley means to a nerd.
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)