SOH P-61 project - Page 8
Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH P-61 project

WOW guys, from the texts you are exchanging on this forum, you're doing a magnificent job on this
    project
    We all cant wait for its completion
    I am not able to give you any tangible help but I am near in ..... spirit
    Italo

A little flight test with the "old one" Location, Russel Islands and off Guadalcanal.

Cheers: T

More flying, testing indicates reduced weights are desireable for deck operations.....

T

Charter Member 2015
    Not sure if this has been posted already... P-61 site with Pilot's notes
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted already... P-61 site with Pilot's notes
    very cool site, finally some good overall pics of the only bare metal bird:

Attachment 15365

That's one I really want to paint...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    i just picked up something in chapter 8 of the link i posted above. it does give us a litle bit more of a picture of the capabilities of this bird than just the numbers can.. I'm posting it below for your perusal and discussion..

We arrived in Hsian during the afternoon and attracted some attention, since none of the personnel there had seen a Black Widow before. Prior to landing we asked the tower for permission to make a "tactical approach," and showed off a little with a low-fast approach down the runway, pulling up into a steep chandelle, dropping wheels and flaps while inverted at the top, and pulling the plane through the rest of the half-loop to a landing. It loses something in the description, but the P-61, with its super large control surfaces, could make this maneuver a real spectacular. Other planes, even our small fighters, couldn't pull it off with the same oomph

What he isnt saying in this paragraph is that the small fighters were P-51 mustangs.
    technically, this plane could perform this maneuver better than a mustang, which leads me to think there were probably other things it could do as well..
    The "Large Control Surfaces" he mentions must have been the elevator and rudders cuz i'm not sure how anyone could mistake those spoilers for being large, and the ailerons were nothing but fairy wings..

Blog Entries
    Its quite ineresting also that in the link with the pilot notes, that the Robert Savaria from Idaho used not only the f-15s but a P-61B as fire fighters.. Sadly, the pic is in black and white.

Dang Seabees put the dump right at the end of the strip.... watch fro birds....

T

Tried the above manuver, not too difficult, low pass at 270 knots, immelman, deploy gear and drag, split S to final. The only reason most fighters might have a little more difficulty with this is picking up too much speed during the split S. The nearly full span flaps are an asset here!

T

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Is It the same site as this one????

http://www.nightfighter.info/

Sorry,Pam, only just getting to see this now. Nope...it's a different site, not sure if it'll be of benefit to you guys but I came across it today whilst [LINESTRIKE]surfing[/LINESTRIKE]...errr...working...yeah...that's it....working!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    :::ROFLMA: I've heard of low level interdiction runs before, but jesus!!! :::LOL:::...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Tried the above manuver, not too difficult, low pass at 270 knots, immelman, deploy gear and drag, split S to final. The only reason most fighters might have a little more difficulty with this is picking up too much speed during the split S. The nearly full span flaps are an asset here!

T
    Actually, what he's describing as a chandelle, isnt. A chandelle is nothing more that a banking nose high turn. Its a very gentle turn relying mostly on rudder and elevator.; What he's describing is a bit more like an emmalman or cuban 8. And your right. It HAD to have been the flaps that got his butt on the ground.. That big of a plane thats that slick, just isnt going to want to slow down for anything without them.

Also, i believe its not the speed that makes it dramatic, but rather since he's describing the large control surface area as giving it that "oomph", i believe that the plane is acting a bit quicker to respond to inputs throughout the maneuver

Charter Member 2015
    Big flaps...

CLICK ME

Being a long time aviator and having listened to a lot of stories over (a lot) of beers, I have a pretty good filter for this stuff. I was even actually present for the real stories sometimes, so had a baseline....

I made a little Movie of my manuver, but haven't figgured out how to make it small enough for here yet. I made a 90 degree turn during my verticle reversal which gave a little horizontal seperation for the descent and

Having a lot of fun with this, can't wait to try out your version. Mine needs a little more rudder.....

Cheers: T

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping to have a version update by mid day monday which will be the combined model made from both of our data..

A little maneuver i'm looking forward to trying that sounds a little like what he did in this example..
    Fly low level the length of the runway. bank right 30 degrees and pitch the nose up thirty degrees.
    keeping the nose at thirty degrees reverse your bank to 30 degrees to the left, and roll the plane to be inverted over the centerline and begin your decent. Continue the roll after dropping the gear while inverted, and upon reaching the reverse heading on the runway perform a tight split S and land..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Sorry,Pam, only just getting to see this now. Nope...it's a different site, not sure if it'll be of benefit to you guys but I came across it today whilst [LINESTRIKE]surfing[/LINESTRIKE]...errr...working...yeah...that's it....working!
    Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.. Techinically, you ARE working :::LOL::

Here is an experiment in putting framework in the interior...

Looking good!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

I bet it was loud sitting in that seat with a couple of Hellcats strapped to the wings! Looking real good!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I bet it was loud sitting in that seat with a couple of Hellcats strapped to the wings! Looking real good!
    I don't think it would be loud for very long, because after the first flight whoever was there would probably be half deaf.

Everything looks like it is coming along nicely!

Blog Entries
    Ok.. I've had a delightful time with this today.. I married fligers FDE with my own and surprisingly, across the board, we had almost identical results in our calculations.. There were some differences though, and important ones. In places, Fligers numbers were closer, in other cases, mine were closer, so i did my best to balance everything as best as i could..
    At this moment, i have too much rudder and i know it.. I'll deal with that later on. Roll rate matches the army training film, and the nausea quotient for when the wing drops during a turn seems about right.. She still takes a few minutes to reach 300 knots in level flight but shes beginning to handle and turn like a true big fighter now.. i so cant wait to dive on some ground traffic and see all those canons going off around me.. Definately the first of the dragons..

FDE 1.0 ALPHA is uploaded to the TS file browser and awaiting your downloads.. Have fun..

PS.. you'll need to set up-trim for takeoff at 125 knots with the flaps on the second step. Retract the flaps in stages between 135 knots and 150 knots.. Do not retract flaps till over a hundred feet off the ground.. Hell, make that 300 feet for the moment.. Go easy on the rudder.. think it through.. Fliger and i will make that more realistic as we go along..
    file name is SoH_P-61_BlackwidowFDE-1.0_Alpha.zip..
    Enjoy..
    Pam

I guess I ought to try flying it! :d

Here's what I have been up to today. It's close to my final answer on the fuselage framework. I also thinned all of the canopy framework. Pic taken from the gunner's position :salute:

Attachment 15472

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    I guess I ought to try flying it! :d

Here's what I have been up to today. It's close to my final answer on the fuselage framework. I also thinned all of the canopy framework. Pic taken from the gunner's position :salute:

Attachment 15472
    suhweeeeeet that looks good..