SOH P-61 project - Page 54
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444464748495051525354
Results 1,326 to 1,347 of 1347

Thread: SOH P-61 project

Hope the perfect isn't the enemy of the(really) good.

Cheers: T

A bit of incentive. When you guys get this bird done, I'll make you a video. Been watching this for quite a while. Very excited to see what you guys have been doing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Cody.. Knowing that your willing to do that makes me feel quite proud of what we've accomplished in just communication, and far more confident that it will be properly portrayed visually, instead of it being left in my own rather clumsy, unskilled and impatient hands.. In other words, that really IS one of the nicest things i've ever heard ( err... read..)..
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Me too, but XtoMDL is used with 3ds Max, not gmax. Exporting a model from 3ds Max to FSX is in two main steps: (1) Export from Max to .X file with .XANIM file for animations (2) Run .X and .XANIM file through XtoMDL to produce .MDL for FSX.

Gmax OTOH exports directly to .MDL in one step. The reasons for this are proprietorial and at Autodesk's insistence: an intermediate .X file cannot be intercepted and the exporter is so written to make sure of that.

Sorry!
    Not sure I understand this statement: "Gmax OTOH exports directly to .MDL in one step...."

Gmax 1.2 needs a plugin to export its output. There are many plugins to various formats.

For MS Flight Sim, that plugin is FSModelExp.DLE and is provided by Microsoft for FS2002 and FS2004.

This plugin generates the .x file to the place named in the Save window popup.
    Makemdl (the compiler) uses the .x file as input and compiles and generates the .mdl file.

(This appears to be the same basic process used for FSX as you described above.)

Back in 2002, Doc Moriarty and Chris File teamed up to build MdlCommander and MakeModel.

These programs take the .x file output of FSMakeExp.DLE, intercepts the call to MakeMdl and gives you control over the generation of the mdl file that before was only available using the batch file commands.

Once in control, MdlCommander gives you screens that allow you to modify options for generation of aircraft or scenery, save the .x file, and much more.

The MdlCommander calls the official Makemdl compiler to finish the job of exporting/compiling the .mdl file.

That's the general process.

So, the Gmax output is in fact "capturable", and that seems the same for FSX with .XANIM. I cannot help but I can certainly understand the frustrations.

Best of luck.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Thanks Cody.. Knowing that your willing to do that makes me feel quite proud of what we've accomplished in just communication, and far more confident that it will be properly portrayed visually, instead of it being left in my own rather clumsy, unskilled and impatient hands.. In other words, that really IS one of the nicest things i've ever heard ( err... read..)..
    Pam
    hey Pam, way OT, but glad to see the Sorcerress back. Missed her and think she's kinda cute!
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Not sure I understand this statement: "Gmax OTOH exports directly to .MDL in one step...."
    The gMax exporter for FSX compiles directly to an MDL, there is no obvious way to capture the interim .x file, they don't even seem to appear as temporary files.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    The gMax exporter for FSX compiles directly to an MDL, there is no obvious way to capture the interim .x file, they don't even seem to appear as temporary files.
    Okay, I see. I did not realize there was a gmax exporter for FSX. I thought you had to have 3DSMax. That's good to hear anyway.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Those in a position to know tell us that was a direct stipulation by Autodesk before the exporter could be licensed.

Methinks they saw what had been done with ModelCommander for FS8/9 and didn't like it.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    there is a way, will discuss it with the mesh owner via MP ..

Prowler

Okay, this is just a sort of bump to the thread, to let you all know that we are still working on this in the background. On the fde, we're fairly close to the figures we have for reference and this aeroplane is certified for basic aerobatic manouevres. Allowing for its size, speeds are particularly critical, and what you see is flown with no fuel in the outboard wing tanks and only 50% fuel in the main tanks. It was fun, and recorded live (the cockpit bits) and via FSRecorder (the external stuff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmo61...eature=mh_lolz

I am SO looking forward to seeing this. It's nice to see things are getting back on track. :ernae:

Is this a sister of the P61?
    F15A-Reporter!!!
    Attachment 55855
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Blog Entries
    It WAS the P-61. Actually, the P-61E. After the war, naming conventions were stood on their head. The old "P" ( persuit" designation was dropped and replaced by the "F" designation. And then it got scrambled.. Let me plagiarize a clip if you dont mind and you'll see what i mean..

""With the change in the USAF's aircraft designation system in June 1948, all P-61s became F-61s and all F-15As became RF-61Cs. Buzz Letters "FH" were assigned""

you can see what i mean. Technically, most designations are used in company of their complement when describing post war RF-61Cs/F-15s in a formal nature, but, in casual descriptions F-15 reporter or simply F-15 is most widely known..

Yah, where I seen it they were categorizing it as a recon plane!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Blog Entries
    photo recon.. your right.. the last was supposed to be retired in 1949 as the entire line had reached its end of life and there were no parts being made for it, but one last one was sold first to some americans, then some mexicans and ended life back in america where in 1963 it was destroyed in an aborted takeoff with a tank of phosphate ( borate?? ) attached to the bottom..

The contribution made by the reporters however is incalcualable.. When the Korean war erupted, the only maps of korea available were maps made from the photographs taken by the f-15 reporters

Just an FYI, before the designation change as the USAAC became the USAF, F was for Foto, as in Foto-Recon. Most dedicated recon variants of aircraft received an F-designation. A Partial List is below.

F-1 ?
    F-2 C-45
    F-3 A-20
    F-4 P-38E
    F-5 P-38G
    F-6 P-51
    F-7 B-24
    F-8 Mosquito
    F-9 B-17
    F-10 B-25
    F-11 Hughes XF-11
    F-12 Republic XF-12
    F-13 B-29
    F-14 ?
    F-15 P-61 (Based off of the P-61E day fighter)

Bump
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    We just got the thread re-stickied because of the historical and technical information thats spread through the thread like flies on food, but, in one way, the Admins were right in unstickying it. We're just ramping up to get back to work on the P-61 and there hasnt been anything to report for some time. So as far as the project proper goes, it doesnt deserve to be stickied. At least, not till we have something worth stickying.. Maybe someone with some ambition could take the thread and pull out the technical and historical data and create a new thread, a book, or something else from it. Then i would feel comfortale with putting this thread to bed till we have something of value to report.
    I want to thank Tom Stovall and Roger for re-stickying the thread. the inevitable loss of all that data was too much for me too wake up too.. You guys are awesome.
    Pam

SOH-CM-2023
    Good to see this thread re-stickied. Sort of a place for progress reporting and a reservoir of the history of progress of this project which should be kept after the project is complete. I read this thread when it jumps from near bottom of the list of stickied threads to tthe top or near top knowing that that means progress is being reported or some fresh information is being reported about the p-61. I think this reminds us how much hard work and thought has been put into the project.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim..
    That was also part of the original spirit of the thread. To show everyone the ups downs in and outs of what goes into creating an aircraft. Doesnt matter if its the P-61, the P-51s or any plane really, they all end up with a lot of similarities behind the scenes. Gesses are made, facts are found to contradict the guesses, changes made, and just sometimes, something gets touched upon that goes way beyond just a simple flying model. Look at the history, the men that flew the real birds, and watch the way it effects the end model: Planes like the WBS P-51, or the A2A P-40, Or Codys films and so many more. There's so much more there than a nice plane, a new gimmick, bell or whistle.
    I'll do everything within my capabilities, to keep bringing you those things with the P-61. You see! Theres this incredibly unique group of guys that stretched from Pearl to Ie Shima, and from Florida to The battle of the bulge, and you folks as well, that I truly believe I owe it too..
    7:30Am.. Guess its bedtime for now..
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Carter View Post
    Yah, where I seen it they were categorizing it as a recon plane!!!
    the p-61E WAS a recon plane. Fast and long ranged, it overflew Korea before the korean war and gave america the only photos of korea with which to make maps. The f-82s didnt do it, the bombers didnt do it. The only people that did it were these crazies in their P-61s flying alone in very unfriendly skies: Just as they had always done.