SOH P-61 project - Page 31
Page 31 of 54 FirstFirst ... 21232425262728293031323334353637383941 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH P-61 project

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    why is this taking so long? youve been at it for months...why isnt it done..sheeesh yall are slow...

runsssssssssssssssssssssss
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I finally got the drop tanks put back on...

Attachment 24062 Attachment 24063

Attachment 24065

Hey gang. The Ole P-61 is really taking shape. As you can see from Robs posts, he is hard at it behind the scenes. The ole girl is looking better every day. Pam is hard at work dialing in the FDE so the widow flies as realistic as FSX allows. From what I've seen in Pam and Rob over the last week has been excellent progress to a great warbird.

We've all been talking about things the P-61 needs so it's as realistic as possible. Like the turret to rotate, all the guns to fire with flash/bang effects, and radar animations.

I won't beat around the bush. The P-61 project needs someone with the excellent XML skills who can bring this ole girl to life. Are you that person?

Please help if you can!!

Blog Entries
    Ok Guys.. I've come up with the starting lineup for paints to include besides your personal Favorites..

1. Lady in the Dark ( made last two kills of world war two: without firing a shot )
    2. MoonHappy ( Shot down four Betty bombers in 1944 )
    3: Borrowed time ( The first crew to shoot down a V-1 buzz bomb, five kills and two probables )
    4. Lady Jen ( Shot down 5 enemy plus 1 V-1: Lady Jen was an A model, but i believe an important part of history)
    5. Project Thunderstorm ( as the first all weather Severe weather research aircraft )
    6. Hard to get ( overflew Cabatuan enabling US rangers to free the survivors of the Bataan Death March )

The are a ton more of course, and all of them gorgeous, but from a purely historical viewpoint i believe these six to be the most important.. There was also an unpainted all metal P-61A Flown by Gen. Earl Barnes of the 13th fighter command. Apparently, the general liked the plane so much he made it his personal plane..

Pam

PS.. Just checked in Squadron Signal and found a pic of Lady in the dark.. Even on the real plane, the artwork doesnt have much detail..

Dang Robert, sweet stuff right there!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Thanks for the comments!

Regarding the gun turret...I am capable of animating it, the question is how do we want to control it? We have plenty of time to ponder that. Today I finally broke down and played with creating a full material set for the right wing. Here's my first round entry...compare the wing to the boom, which is still just a lonely diffuse texture.

Attachment 24097

Blog Entries
    that looks awesome Robert.. .. she's beginning to look like a real bird ...
    like you said.. lots of time to think about turrets.. but i wouldnt mind getting someone in here to help you out either..

that's beginning to look very nice indeed, well done, Robert!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

We are all behind you, go team!
    "The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." Manfred von Richthofen

Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    Thanks for the comments!

Regarding the gun turret...I am capable of animating it, the question is how do we want to control it? We have plenty of time to ponder that. Today I finally broke down and played with creating a full material set for the right wing. Here's my first round entry...compare the wing to the boom, which is still just a lonely diffuse texture.

Attachment 24097
    If the turret is animated, will the flight model reflect the turbulence created by the turret being out of its forward pointing position?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If the turret is animated, will the flight model reflect the turbulence created by the turret being out of its forward pointing position?
    It will be if the turret animation is linked to the rudder, if not I doubt if FSX will cope!

Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    Regarding the gun turret...I am capable of animating it, the question is how do we want to control it?
    Just animate it with an unused axis, like prop pitch or mixture...

Brian (can we get the animated guy to run right instead of left?)

Blog Entries
    ::chuckles:: Actually, prop pitch is used.. It controls the rpm of the props. As fir the buffetung, the answer is no. Sadly the only thing that would happen with linking the turret to the rudder would be a very small yaw to one side. Withut some very fancy xml coding such as accu-sim theres no way tto make it work. We've asked severa times over the last few months for volunteers to help in that area, but everyone is busy working on other projects, and there have been no replies..
    As for the buffeting itself?? Well, that was mostly a problem in the early A models. by the time the P-61B-15 models came out with the turrets reattached that had changed the design of the turret and most of the problem had disappeared....

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    why is this taking so long? youve been at it for months...why isnt it done..sheeesh yall are slow

runsssssssssssssssssssssss
    Sometimes, enjoying the journey is just as important as arriving at the destination....

Blog Entries
    I wanted to show off some of Roberts work.. Noo, not the numbers or decals,, but the lines .. he's been doing a fantastic job and really deserves to be recognized for it..
    Enjoy ...

Holy crap, that looks so awesome. Is it done yet?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

SOON!
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Blog Entries
    :::LOL:; Patience ::LOL:::..
    theres a long way to go internally first, and Roberts been focusing on the outside for a few weeks now in order to let the painters get a head start on the liveries.. Also, i ran into a problem today that I thought was in my fde, with not being able to get above 12000 feet using fsx real time weather. Itd get up there and the speed would fall off and down i'd go.. Tuurns out it also happened with my WOP B-17 and mt L-749.. Something weird with fsx i guess.. I'm also developing Sorceress more. Shes being made into a hybrid p-61B/C model with C model engines installed and a top end of 456 mph specifically for racing here at SOH ... Shes fun ..

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    WooHoo! Racin'!! Now you are talking.... if we can get this qualified for the RTW(Must have internet for racin') that would be awesome!

Just some fine work you all are doing.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

looking good, Robert!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashaz View Post
    WooHoo! Racin'!! Now you are talking.... if we can get this qualified for the RTW(Must have internet for racin') that would be awesome!

Just some fine work you all are doing.
    Thats what i'm hoping for too ... with its top speed and extended range with external tanks, she'd be right up there with the best of them...

if it was a 1 off in real life, then it wont get approved

From US Army Air Force Fighters, Part 2, pg 53:

"Testing of the P-61C began in July 1945 but the aircraft was found to be sluggish and difficult to handle, with a tendency to 'wallow' in flight, at weights above 35,000 lb, whilst a clear take off distance of at least three miles was needed at a weight of 40,000 lb. Only 41 P-61Cs had been built when further production was terminated on V-J Day."

Hmm...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2