SOH P-61 project - Page 29
Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19212223242526272829303132333435363739 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH P-61 project

Here's the end of the weekend work...Some panel lines on the fuselage and texture on the main gear hubs...:salute:

Attachment 22680 Attachment 22681

It's really starting to take shape and come together. Looking very good!

Blog Entries
    Robert sernt me a couple of the psd texture files tonight.. whe i looked at them it was incredible.. this is one of the best mapped aircraft i've ever seen.. naturally i had to play, but no, i aint showing anything yet.. I think once someone who really knows hw to paint gets these psd's we're going to see some of the yummiest textures we've seen on a plane in a very long time..

I'm all for realism, but the model should still be flyable, even without the pitch controls. But that's all in FSX realism settings, I guess. JMO.

P.S. Looking great! :salute:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'm all for realism, but the model should still be flyable, even without the pitch controls. But that's all in FSX realism settings, I guess. JMO.

P.S. Looking great! :salute:
    Trust me.. she's flyable.. Needless to say i'm still dialing her in and will continue doing that till she's released, but even right now, she's performing beyond my wildest expectations. The main thing with this plane is that it weighs 30000 pounds, and the majority of the drag is coming from the two engines which produce 4500 horsepower of thrust.. at 2700 rpm, and with a 12 foot prop, those engines will happily drag the plane through the air no matter where you set the manifold pressure.. The secret to slowing the plane down is to reduce the rpm, which is done via the prop pitch levers.. What i'm still researching is just how much prop pitch and manifold pressure have to change before she slows down.. right now, if you reduce the rpm to 1400 and the manifold pressure to 20, she'll slow down enough to deploy flaps, but she takes her time doing it if youve been flying 300 mph or greater.. Drag is locked in. any change in that and we cant make top end, nor can bottom end characteristics be found.. Induced drag is something i'm slowly bringing up to the correct level as i dont have the skills or means necessary to generate the correct reynolds number nor the correct lift coefficient. so its a but of an educated guessing game.. Parasitic drag is another one thats difficult for me to calculate so i'm slowly working with that as well..
    Not to worry. we have a long way to go before its ready for release, but i gaurantee that when its released, you wont have to make any adjustments in the fsx config..

PS.. .. After Robert passed me the first couple of layered texture files last night, I've been drooling over the thought of what Jankees can do with this plane..

Blog Entries
    So tonight i got to fly with PRB, Tako Kichi, Willy and others. It was quite an experience and quite challenging.. They were all flying various lightweight planes, and i of course was in the Widow. Average speed for the flight was 107 mph. Thats what made it challenging.. You dont take thirty thousand pounds of airplane and expect it to act like a cessna, at last not normally, but theres very little thats normal about the P-61. The book says she can do it, so, we did it. Admittedly i had full flaps and gear extended most of the time, and trying to not run someone over was a major issue, but the plane did ok. I wouldnt say it was spectacular, but she did ok. While waiting for everyone to land as i circled above, i decided to fart around a bit and do some aerobatics. Those were spectacular, right up until i lost situational awareness and smacked a tree. Yup, a million square miles of barren land in India, and I had to find the one tree.. sheesh...
    Even now with most of the vc still needing to be done, the plane is complex to fly. Speed, loft and even pitch angle can all be controlled by the throttle and the prop pitch. The higher the rpm's the more pill on the plane, the flatter she flies. The higher the manifold pressure, the greater the torque, the more easily she climbs. its all a matter of coordinating the levers, and that may take me a while to learn.
    At one point as we neared the field, a little p-38 scooted by at full speed underneath me. I was tempted. With my altitude, i knew i could bounce him in a heartbeat, but i figured, what the heck.. That can wait for another day ..

Looks like I'll have to clear the painting shed real soon....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Looks like I'll have to clear the painting shed real soon....
    Wait till you see the templates Roberts making.. They're gorgeous.. . Everything lines up. They're the kind of templates you dream about working with.. ...

Warchild, that prop reduction gearing had me going for a while, it is reversed I think

During the last week I was busy adjusting texture mapping to maximize efficiency, and worked on the wheels & tires...

Attachment 23037

It's sure taking shape nicely.

Miltons tire textures would sure dress them wheels up

Blog Entries
    Ok guys.. tonight marks the approach to a milestone.. As you can see from the above picture, all the primary uv maps for the exterior have been completed, and they are located in a file called 5nov.zip on the teamspeak file browser.. these are just the base texture sets. there are no bimp maps, specular maps or anything fancy.. Jan?? Youve been incrediblty patient with waiting for us to reach this point. Thank you. i hope you'll find the templates useful ..
    Butch?/ If your still interested, we could really use your talents to set up normals and/or bump mapping as well as paints.
    By default template layers in the psd files are turned off. You folks will have to turn them on to use them..

I'll try and get a new version of the fde out within the next few days. i'm working on the yaw on engine out problem and as soon as i finish that, i'll upload it and announce it here..

I'd like to give Robert a real round of applause here. he's been a real trooper the last couple weeks by doing the external texture mapping when i know darned well he really wanted to be working on the interior panels and gauges.. So lets give him that applause. he really deserves it..

Pam

PS. trim tabs and spinners have not been mapped yet.. no worries..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    ole boy?? do you mean like this???
    I can't quite focus as I got headlights in my eyes. (points to avatar) squints ehem Now I see them. The textures Milton uses if I recall right were a donation to his projects. A great addition here also Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    So tonight i got to fly with PRB, Tako Kichi, Willy and others. It was quite an experience and quite challenging.. They were all flying various lightweight planes, and i of course was in the Widow. Average speed for the flight was 107 mph. Thats what made it challenging.. You dont take thirty thousand pounds of airplane and expect it to act like a cessna, at last not normally, but theres very little thats normal about the P-61. The book says she can do it, so, we did it. Admittedly i had full flaps and gear extended most of the time, and trying to not run someone over was a major issue, but the plane did ok. I wouldnt say it was spectacular, but she did ok. While waiting for everyone to land as i circled above, i decided to fart around a bit and do some aerobatics. Those were spectacular, right up until i lost situational awareness and smacked a tree. Yup, a million square miles of barren land in India, and I had to find the one tree.. sheesh...
    Even now with most of the vc still needing to be done, the plane is complex to fly. Speed, loft and even pitch angle can all be controlled by the throttle and the prop pitch. The higher the rpm's the more pill on the plane, the flatter she flies. The higher the manifold pressure, the greater the torque, the more easily she climbs. its all a matter of coordinating the levers, and that may take me a while to learn.
    At one point as we neared the field, a little p-38 scooted by at full speed underneath me. I was tempted. With my altitude, i knew i could bounce him in a heartbeat, but i figured, what the heck.. That can wait for another day ..
    She wasn't joking about the gaggle of slow flyers she was trying to stay with! In this shot Pam is aliased to the old FS9 "Ito" P-61, not the "real" one she was flying.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I can't quite focus as I got headlights in my eyes. (points to avatar) squints ehem Now I see them. The textures Milton uses if I recall right were a donation to his projects. A great addition here also Pam
    hehehe.. Thanks oleboy.. headlights are a good thing ) ...
    As for the tires, Robert actually created tire treads in 3D and all i did was search the web till i found an image that pretty much matched the tread pattern, then created a layered image of it which i manipulated t=color and opacity on before flattening it and copying it to the the texture sheet.. So in effect, the tread you see is the real deal. pure 3D. The grooves are on the tire.. Or.. at least i'm pretty sure they are.. Last night was party night and i had a bottle of sake in me when i did them.. I may have been seeing things.. But the way Robert mapped the textures allows for some pretty spectacular texturing. If i could find an image that had the writing you see on the side of the tires, i could have put that on there as well.. This aircraft could be a painters delight..

Actually, the treads are not modeled...but I was planning to get the effect via bump mapping :salute:

Here are some of the templates I've been creating. When done I plan to have labels on a lot of "odd" parts to help out. I actually have not done a lot of these, so if any of you painters out there see something that I could improve on let me know

Attachment 23059 Attachment 23060 Attachment 23061

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    Actually, the treads are not modeled...but I was planning to get the effect via bump mapping :salute:
    hehehe.. i blame it on the sake'... It had me seeing things ::lol:..

The templates look real good from what I see. I think the biggest clincher in templates, are finding everything. A case of trial and error. Having a "what is it" layer helps out a bunch.
    ....The only thing that comes to mind as for labeling that I can think of, are the "hard to find", smaller parts. That would be a painters (mine anyway) elimination of frustration

Blog Entries
    My personal thanks to the whole team...you are all a bunch of expert steely-eyed aircraft engineers! AWESOME job on this! WOW!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Blog Entries
    Thanks Txnetcop. Its appreciated..

for the team. i just uploaded the sorceress texture which includes a thumbnail image for you folks.. grab it when you can from the teamspeak server.. the filename is SOH-P61_Sorceress.zip..

On a serious note...

"Crashaz" originally was to be the external model guy. We had one good group meeting, and then he disappeared. His last visit to SOH was two months ago. I took on the work on the external model a couple of weeks after he dropped off to keep things moving. I wish I knew if he was okay.

Has anyone out there heard from him?

So after spending all of that time mapping I decided to continue working on the textures I started. I put on some invasion stripes, and some class nose art :d

Attachment 23209 Attachment 23208

I still have a few things I want to finish first, but I'll get started on the widow soon, I promise! She's looking good so far!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I haven't posted here recently for various reasons....

Latest test flight: Static Runup max RPM is 2100 RPM. Should be able to turn up max RPM. Static Power showed 2800 HP.... A bit high.

On takeoff, at 100 knots the props do come up to 2800 RPM, but indicated power is 4275 (for each engine).

At Idle and 19" MP in flight, I still get 1500 HP.....

Rudder seems ineffective and gives a small adverse roll factor. In the .air file the primary aerodynamics tab, roll, rudder contribution, should be a small negative value, not a positive value(look here at SOH under flight dynamics forum for a comment on this).

The R2800 has been modeled many times in FS9/FSX, and should only vary in small details amongst supercharged variants. One of the better ones is the R2800 modeled in the SOH (Shupe) A26, by Jerry Beckwith (AKA Sparks).

Cheers: T