SOH P-61 project - Page 14
Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH P-61 project

Blog Entries
    Just a lil something for ya'll to have.. Hope you like it.
    Pam

Attachment 16519

Nice!
    Thank you!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Master of Disaster
    I like it!! Thanks Warchild!!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Blog Entries
    So today i'm working inside the aurfile on posture and demeanor. The Pitch AOA rate was much too high ( the planes nose is leading the pitch by over 15 degrees ) , so i'm dialing it in, along with the horizontal tails lift. When the plane is in level flight, its flying with 6 degrees up angle on the nose. According to the film and the pictures i've been looking through, when the girl flies lvel, shes level, so i'll be dialing that in today as well.. The CG I am happy to report is now exact. Tom was off by less than two inches ( yes, i'm that anal ). Fully loaded rotation is at 90 mph ( or can be ) and takeoff is between 105 and 110. Settling on flaps retraction is about 100 feet per step which is about right as the manual specifies to not retract flaps till your over 300 feet high ( thanks Tom )
    Manifold pressure max without WEP is 54 pounds, with WEP its 59 pounds. I'd say thats pretty good.. Tops speed indicated with WEP is 345 knots without WEP its 325 knots which according to the documentation is correct for the difference between mil power and WEP but just a little shy of our intended goal. I dont really mind though, as its reallly super close and nothing to sneeze at..

N2056: I'm loving your gauges Keep up the great work..

Externally, we discovered a problem with the plane having the wrong type of flaps modeled ( see the attached image please ).. The P-61 uses zap flaps. These differ from normal flaps on that they are split flaps located under the trailing edge of the wing. When activated the flaps leading edge moves back towards the wings following edge, and the flaps following edge drops down. What we have at the moment is normal flaps, and that will need to be fixed before we can make UV maps for the painters.
    We make haste; slowly..

Attachment 16610

are you sure about those flaps?
    According to the book by Jeff Koln, only the first XP-61 actually flew with the Zap flaps (named after the inventor, Edward Zap). While being very advanced aerodynamically, they had some drawbacks, with the most important one being the extremely close manufacturing standards needed for them to work. It was feared that the very precise alignment could not be obtained in the field.
    At more or less the same time, a new tail design was ordered for improved longitudinal stability, and it turned out that this made the aircraft very unsafe with the zap flaps extended, another reason to drop the zap flaps, and replacing them with slotted flaps....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Begin Quote:
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

The first XP-61 made its official maiden flight on 26 May 1942, having left the ground during a high speed taxi test five days earlier (the first production contract, for 150 aircraft, was placed on 1 September 1941, nine months before the maiden flight). While the prototype had been developed creditably quickly, it would be another two years before the aircraft entered service. After a promising first flight, later tests revealed problems with the 'Zap' flap – a full-span retractable flap used in place of more conventional controls, and this had to be replaced with small ailerons and normal flaps. The YP-61s were not completed until August-September 1943, and the first production P-61A was finished in October 1943.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

End Quote:

Good work Jan.. Thank you.. You saved me from making a horrible error..

Blog Entries
    What is confusing me, is this quote from John Meyers in his introduction to Warbird tech's Northrop P-61 Black Widow Publication. I'll retype the entire quoted selection here..

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    Attachment 16650

How is he getting it to 420 mph??? Something doesnt add up somewhere.. I mean. I KNOW Mr Meyers had an inordinate and almost religious faith in these engines, but the best we're getting is 351 mph irregadless of whether Tom or i work the figures.. In a dive, i can get it to 400. I'm burying myself n the sDK.. Theres got to be a clue in there

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Just a lil something for ya'll to have.. Hope you like it.
    Pam
    Cool P-61 patch. Thanks, Pam!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    Thanks Paul..
    i do wish i could afford to have real patches made up for members to wear on their real clothing..
    ::sighs:; oh well.. really glad everyones liking this one ..

Blog Entries
    I've got to admit that i find that the last two planes shot down in world war two were credited to P-61's without a single shot having been fired. It seems the pilot "sat" on the zeros and forced them into the ocean..
    wish there was a picture of that ::LOL::..

Thank You, Pam

Following along on your progress everyday, quietly watching and learning.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Master of Disaster
    That cute, chubby little widow should have an outhouse on the side for nose art!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    That cute, chubby little widow should have an outhouse on the side for nose art!
    :::LOL:: i thought about it, but thats original world war two art work and i didnt want to change it in any way out of respect..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Thank You, Pam

Following along on your progress everyday, quietly watching and learning.
    .. thank you ..
    Putting a new video together to show where we're at flight wise.. I do believe your gonna like what you see..

PS:
    Tom.. Hold off on any more changes till you see the video and fly the new fde..
    I think your gonna like the part where i cross the runway at 420 mph. ( we did it.. we really did it (you and I ) )

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    :::LOL:: i thought about it, but thats original world war two art work and i didnt want to change it in any way out of respect..
    I understand! Just a thought.

420 mph out of a steep dive and scorching across the field.... Plus add ten percent to make a good story.

I can truthfully (sort of) say I flew a 747 across Japan at over 700 knots, but as Paul Harvey was Wont to say... There's the "The rest of the Story".

Another cute item tried on the plane was the speed brakes. Bit of an engineering bollox on that one, so effective as to rip the wings off. These guys were not afraid to experiment, a lot! Something I always liked about Jack Northrop.

By the time the "See" model came around with it's turbocharging, the thing was perhaps getting a bit over engineered, sort of in the Mercedes fashion.

Beautiful sunny morning in Shanghai, wish I was hanging around for a bit!

Cheers: T

Pam:

Sounds great. I am sure it was a thundering sight to see this big black plane go through it's paces.

Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    Meanwhile at the instrument panel...
    Can someone tell me if the needle on this compass should be magnetic or gyro driven?
    Attachment 16510
    My documentation describes that as a "remote compass". The radio compass is off to the pilot's right, and the only mention I see of calibrating any sort of heading gyro in the pilot's checklist "check and set the turn gyro", which is part of the autopilot system. I think that IS your gyro compass in the autopilot area.

As far as a whiskey compass, the only thing I can see anywhere that looks like one is in the upper right of a photo of the radar observers station in the Thompson book bu that one is dated from 1945. I don't see it in an earlier photo of that station. But then again, EVERYTHING is different between the two photos of the radar station.

BTW everyone, I'm no subject matter expert on the Black Widow, by any means. But if anyone ever needs a second set of eyes, I'm willing to help and I have the Thompson, Kolln, and Pilot's Manual books. :salute:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratermaker View Post

BTW everyone, I'm no subject matter expert on the Black Widow, by any means. But if anyone ever needs a second set of eyes, I'm willing to help and I have the Thompson, Kolln, and Pilot's Manual books. :salute:
    Neither were any of the rest of us when we started.. We still aint, but we're all learning together.. We can always use someone to test her out once we get that far, so dont go away.. Right now, we've got just the very beginnng so there isnt a lot to scrutinize yet.. But hang with us, there will be ( and plenty of it )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    420 mph out of a steep dive and scorching across the field.... Plus add ten percent to make a good story.

I can truthfully (sort of) say I flew a 747 across Japan at over 700 knots, but as Paul Harvey was Wont to say... There's the "The rest of the Story".

::LOL:: i thought someone might say something like that, so i took a lil picture.. Mind you its a P-38 panel cuz thats all i had that would fit kinda..
    Enjoy..

Attachment 16717

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Pam:

Sounds great. I am sure it was a thundering sight to see this big black plane go through it's paces.

It is, and wold be better if 80% of my tume hadnt been spent climbing up a couple thousand feet and flying around doing nothing.. I'm really losing my touch :;lol:;.. But honestly, between Fraps and its slide show stutters and Premiere pro and its cutting the image in half, its a bit frustrating..

Blog Entries
    Ok Guys.. FDE Version 1.65 Alpha has been uploaded to the main directory of the file browser.. Download it and delete the current ile set your now using before installing these new files please.. Tom, you may want to just make a backup of your current files instead of deleting them ( just in case ) ..
    Pam

Back to Anchorage, if not quite home yet! Sort of "one of those flights".

Will look at it later after getting home.

Blog Entries
    heh.. around the world in 80 hours, instead of days.. not very romantic but .. oh well.. hope you have a good flight home. watch out for those storms coming out of the Aleutians.. they're major mo-fo's