Download Oddity

Thread: Download Oddity

Download Oddity

Been meaning to ask this for ages, but kept forgetting.

When I try to d/load from this site, instead of getting the pop-up box asking where I want to save the file to, the d/load automatically starts in Internet Explorer, shown by a small d/load symbol in the bottom left hand corner.

The d/load, once finished, goes to a Temp File, which I then have to find and place it in my usual d/load folder.

Anyone know how to stop this?
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Same problem here. Since few days it is happening the same to me when downloading from some websites like Avsim. Looked for same issue on the net but couldn't find anything specific. I guess it could be related to a recent Windows update. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm still using XP.

ASWWIAH Member

Is this what you're looking for ?

Open My Computer. Select from the menu bar > Tools > Folder Options. Click the File Types tab and scroll down until you can single click on the ZIP extension. Then towards the bottom click on Advanced and in that window check the box Confirm Open After Download. That should make things ducky again.

Ok did that. In File types I don't have 'zip extension', but do have 'Compressed (zipped) folder'. So I single clicked on that, and then on Advanced. In that tab the 'confirm open after d/load' is already ticked.

Still it now seems to work. Just d/loaded MR's new Guam scenery. I got the I.E. file d/load box pop-up, which let me select the destination. Worked fine.

The odd thing is, Get Right now doesn't work properly. When I choose Get right to d/load a file, in the pop-up box it only selects local.links.php, not the actual file.

Computers!! They drive me mad!

ASWWIAH Member

Permanent fix

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    Anyone know how to stop this?
    Real easy .... switch to Firefox. A much faster & more secure browser.

- it allows you to save all downloads to anywhere you please.

Get it here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Attachment 12074

Did I mention that it's rated 5 times faster than IE8? 9 times faster than IE7?

IE is great for MS updates & checking email .... just way too slow when web surfing.

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

I Agree

I'd like to agree with that. I've had Firefox for years and I'll never go back.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post

IE is great for MS updates & checking email .... just way too slow when web surfing.
    Yep, the only thing I use IE for is doing my manual windows updates every couple of weeks or so.

Firefox is a real gem- as is Thunderbird. I use Thunderbird as my default mail program.

I am kinda infatuated with Opera, too.

PS: Before Firefox I was a Netscape user. I believe Netscape Communicator was a predecessor of Forefox. It was connected up with Mozilla somehow or another.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    PS: Before Firefox I was a Netscape user. I believe Netscape Communicator was a predecessor of Forefox. It was connected up with Mozilla somehow or another.
    You got that straight MR.

Mozilla.org is a non-profit foundation ... owned by the Time-Life-Warner-AOL Group.

The first thing I ever downloaded off the internet was Firefox (1.0) about 6 years ago.
    Dirtman

I've looked at Firefox. But I hate cookies, and Firefox doesn't support 'Cookie Wall' - which is the best cookie eliminator I've come across.

ASWWIAH Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    I've looked at Firefox. But I hate cookies, and Firefox doesn't support 'Cookie Wall' - which is the best cookie eliminator I've come across.
    Communication with websites require cookies. What you do with them afterward is important.
    A program like CCleaner will allow you to selectively save needed or desired cookies (like your email & SOH login) others are securely erased when the app is run. It also erases "Temporary Internet files" (TIF) which are the main access point of malware entering your PC.

CCleaner also cleans your Registry, edits your programs that load at Start-up, has a program uninstall function and selectively allows removal of old & unneeded System Restore points.

Cookie Wall only works in IE & only deals with cookies. But I agree that IE NEEDS all the security it can get .... as it's a "bug magnet" due to being built with MS code.

CCleaner is a multi-faceted tool that works on ALL BROWSERS. It's also freeware. You program the cookies eraser just the same as in Cookie Wall.

Find it here: http://www.piriform.com/download

Pips; you are free to do whatever you like. All I am doing is trying to educate you for your own benefit. I make $$$ fixing PC's .... most of those people only use IE .... I think of Internet Explorer & Windows Live Messenger as "job security" :d

BTW: It's a proven fact that IE8 will make your PC run slower. I noticed this as soon as I installed it ... as did many others. I'm not saying IE is a bad program ... just that there are better ones to choose from. The choice is up to the user.

Collin was once an IE fan. Till he got a bug that shut it down. He couldn't access the Internet for love nor money (only email) ... I emailed him the Firefox installer. Initially he didn't like it (because it was different) now he wouldn't trade it for a tanker truck full of grog!

The bottom line: It's a good idea to have 2 browsers in case one becomes corrupted.

Dirtman

Tanker Truck

Tanker truck of GROG didja say, DM? Ahar Billy!......Bring it on what this heatwave and all!
    Great to be here......great to be anywhere

If you're having a problem with the Get Right program , I would suggest that you contact their online Forum . Maybe they can help . I know nothing about Get Right .

Members who have read this thread: 0