"Top Gear" to launch U.S. version in fall

Thread: "Top Gear" to launch U.S. version in fall

Charter Member 2011

"Top Gear" to launch U.S. version in fall

wonder if they'll have the same budget?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100421...r-5fdf947.html
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    wonder if they'll have the same budget?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100421...r-5fdf947.html

Should be interesting, considering the derisory remarks they make about US cars.

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Should be interesting, considering the derisory remarks they make about US cars.
    As a HUGE US car fan and top gear fan, I think the world is a little too sensitive sometimes. It doesn't even bug me when Jeremy makes remarks about US citizens or cars. I have respect for the amount of patriotism and pride he has. Most don't anymore, not matter their persuasion.

He's even called everyone in America fat, stupid and rude before. I don't care. He's just talking trash and being entertaining.

The young dude balances jeremy's views a bit. He's a fan of US cars.

What makes this show great is the hosts and the type of stuff they do. As these things commonly go, I wholly expect this to be no more than a franchise expansion. I'm sure it'll be perverted and dumbed down.

I'm not too optimistic at this point. Unfortunately, being on a private channel, they will have obligations to their sponsors so they won't be able to be brutally honest like the original Top Gear is. I will definitely tune in though, and form my final opinion based on what I see :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    What makes this show great is the hosts and the type of stuff they do. As these things commonly go, I wholly expect this to be no more than a franchise expansion. I'm sure it'll be perverted and dumbed down.

Couldn't be much more dumbed down than the original, which used to be a good show until someone told these clowns they were funny. Puerile stuff now.

As long as the original still airs , i won't need to bother with this one .
    "Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the State becomes lawless or, which is the same thing, corrupt."
    Mahatma Gandhi

those who would trade freedom in order to get safety deserve neither

British shows that make the hop across the Atlantic and are re-invented for an American audience tend to be fairly poor imitations at best, but that said the success of Top Gear is really based around the presenters so if they get the right trio there is every possibility that it could work.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Couldn't be much more dumbed down than the original, which used to be a good show until someone told these clowns they were funny. Puerile stuff now.

I'll tell those clowns they are hilarious. I could simply watch them insult each other all day long.

Just to be sure, the current British version doesn't air at all in North America, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Exactly.
    Pond cross overs never seem to work very well.

Having caught up on the first couple of series over the Summer as a 'promotion' for the new series (typical Network 9 idiots!) they were more about motoring and less about Clarkson's bloody ego back then.

I prefer 5th Gear anytime, name drivers and a good testing regime.

As for local versions of Top Gear, attempted in Australia, lasted for two series only, axed.
    Unfortunate in one way, as a revised line-up and serious testing of cars were coming to the fore.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Exactly.
    Pond cross overs never seem to work very well.

Having caught up on the first couple of series over the Summer as a 'promotion' for the new series (typical Network 9 idiots!) they were more about motoring and less about Clarkson's bloody ego back then.

I prefer 5th Gear anytime, name drivers and a good testing regime.

As for local versions of Top Gear, attempted in Australia, lasted for two series only, axed.
    Unfortunate in one way, as a revised line-up and serious testing of cars were coming to the fore.

As a fan of new Top Gear I really don't want to see car reviews. They are ten a penny, you can get them everywhere, both in print and on the TV in various other shows. New Top Gear is a comedy show, and a great one at that, and long may it continue.

will they have this guy back?........... "All we know is he's not the stig...."

could be quite entertaining....

Just to be sure, the current British version doesn't air at all in North America, does it?
    it airs in the US on BBC america every monday night . i believe they air them in the US about 6 months or so after they aired in england . for example , the last one that aired was the hour and half special where they went through south america .
    "Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the State becomes lawless or, which is the same thing, corrupt."
    Mahatma Gandhi

those who would trade freedom in order to get safety deserve neither

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    As a fan of new Top Gear I really don't want to see car reviews. They are ten a penny, you can get them everywhere, both in print and on the TV in various other shows. New Top Gear is a comedy show, and a great one at that, and long may it continue.
    Chris, as in anything you are entitled to your opinion.
    Comedy you say???
    You might be right there, perhaps the American version should be titled "Two Point Five Men", as it would be around the same execrable standard as "Two and a Half Men".
    :toilet:
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Chris, as in anything you are entitled to your opinion.
    Comedy you say???
    You might be right there, perhaps the American version should be titled "Two Point Five Men", as it would be around the same execrable standard as "Two and a Half Men".
    :toilet:
    I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion. There is, however, one thing on which you are mistaken. You seem to be acting under the mistaken impression that Top Gear is a car review show. It is not and has not been for a long time, henceforth any comparison that you made earlier in the thread to Fifth Gear and other genuine review and consumer interest shows is wholly irrelevant.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ive never seen it at all
    originally came out in 77
    on BBC2
    must have been in a pub at the time:ernae:
    in my opinion cross overs never work
    ever seen the us version of faulty towers
    LOL
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

tigisfat
    Crossovers usually don't work, but that redonkulous American Idol show is crossed over to everywhere and is always a hit.

Crossovers usually don't work, but that redonkulous American Idol show is crossed over to everywhere and is always a hit.
    I think you'll find American idol is a crossover. It first started in England as pop idol.

because I don't have small pictures

Rutledge Wood to host

Check this out: http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/

Rutlledge Wood will host US Top Gear.......

Kevin