C-124
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-124

Blog Entries

C-124

Jen's C-124 at Simviation, Downloads, FS2004,Military.

SOH-CM-2023
    Downloading.....
    You can't take the sky from me...

Hi there,

Just downloaded 'Old Shakey' from Avsim.com.

Thank you so much Jens! Once again you fulfilled a great wish of mine. Fabulous!

Cheers,
    Maarten

download from here: http://www.simviation.com/simviation...ad.php?ID=8713

Thank you JBK, I will be flying this monster on Cargo flights.

Gentlemen, does anybody have historical flight routes for the C-124 within the USA?

Thanks Jens.
    Sid

Downloading now. Such a big "beautiful" plane....beautiful in the way a flop eared Bloodhound is beautiful to those who cherish the breed.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Great model! Thank you so very much. Nicely done.

WAHOOOOOOOO! This big bird is NICE! But, then again, what else would be expected from Jens B? Everything he does is golden.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C-124 has gone missing over the triangle!

Most folks have heard of The Bermuda Triangle. What is seldom mentioned is this.... the largest single loss of personnel happened in 1951 when a C-124 Globemaster with 53 passengers disappeared without a trace. ***

Icon5 Libyan flght of the C-124

I just flew the C-124, two flights in hard settings, one in fs9 from LGAT Hellenikon to LGAV Venizelos and the second in FSX, in Libya from Marsa Brega HMLB to Zueitina HLZU. For the latter flight I had real weather in the internet, 12 noon time, and had winds and sand in the air. Twice I stalled on takeoff but managed to life off very slwoly with trim the 3rd time and when I had gained some height, around 500 feet, I put the a/c on autopilot and turned around a a bit trying to decide where to go. By this time it was 3.15 am my time and I thought 'better land, so you can go to bed" so I landed at Zueitina, due north-northeast of Marsa Brega. The runway was short, or my approach too bad, and I over-ran the far end and shut engines and put on parking brakes to stop. The sea was a short distance ahead.

The airplane is fantastic in all respects. You should try Libya with an aircraft like Manuele Villa's wonderful Sparviero and high scenery settings if your machine can handle them, plus internet real weather.

My own reason for flying in Libya is that when I was a teenager I would listen to the US Air Force Station in Athens all day and I often heard the speakers speaking of flights to Libya, usually Tripoli, and I had seen these monsters on my way to the beach in the summers, when the road passed by the Hellenikon Air Base, and had sometimes wonder how such a big aircraft could fly.

The flight in Libya will lead me to downloading the scenery for it, two files so far, Benghazi and Tripoili, tomorrow, and to try with the Villa Sparviero.

Cheers:salute:

Nick Tselepides

C-124

Superlative work Jens. You spoil us constantly with your contributions.

The McChord Air Base Museum has a C-124. At the air shows they open it up and you can walk through the plane and inspect just about all of it.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Avsim link:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=145988

And thinks to whoever stuck this one!:ernae:
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Cedar Key - Or so Old John MacDonald would say
    anyone fancy doing a 94th AW paint for Dobbins AFB around ohhhhhhhhh 1968 -- used to sit on the balcony of of apartment on PowderSprings and watch them lumbering out.

Leif

Thanks Jens, wonderful work.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    The one-and-only turboprop YC-124B
    Interesting. Didn't know they turboed up a version of the C-124.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDraiggoch View Post
    anyone fancy doing a 94th AW paint for Dobbins AFB around ohhhhhhhhh 1968 -- used to sit on the balcony of of apartment on PowderSprings and watch them lumbering out.
    Leif
    Got a photo? I just looked on the web and Mr. Google couldn't find one for me. If you can get me a photo I'll see what I can do.

I have similar memories. After having "outgrown" my childhood interest in airplanes, I rediscovered it after college. Part of the stimulus was standing on the dam at Quabbin Reservoir and watching New Hampshire Air Guard C-124s heading for their home at Pease AFB, or seeing MATS and SAC Globemonsters coming and going to and from Westover AFB. I just painted myself a NH ANG plane to commemorate those memories.

Repaints

I've been fiddling, and I've come up with some skins.

One item is a set of texture tweaks. I added better quality national insignia to all the paints, flipped the upside-down USAF on one of the wings, changed MATS to USAF on the wings of one plane (not sure Jens was "wrong" for that particular plane, but I couldn't find a photo to back up his choice, and other planes in the same livery had USAF there,) added arctic red to the outer wing panels and/or wingtip pods, as appropriate, for the paints that had arctic red on the tail, and a few other minor items that I can't recall right now. While I was at it I saved all the external textures in 32-bit format for better display quality, and I saved a set of generic textures to make repainting easy.

I also made some completely new paints. One is a SAC plane, complete with star spangled blue fuselage sash. Also a New Hampshire Air Guard plane (mentioned in my post above,) and since that one had a rather plain vanilla look, a more colorful one from the North Carolina Air Guard. Finally (?) I painted one in overall Aircraft Gray (aka "ADC Gray," aka "Dorsey Gray) from a photo I found on the web.

Now all I have to do is catch up on the time I lost while repainting the Globemonster, and package up the paints for release. Maybe later today... Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Interesting. Didn't know they turboed up a version of the C-124.
    The "48 Group Program" in effect for Fiscal Year (FY) 1949 authorized the purchase of giant Douglas C-124 Globemaster IIs. The procurement schedule called for the first to reach the flightline in May 1950. Manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Corporation at Long Beach, California, deliveries of C-124As began in May 1950. The USAF bought 448 C-124s before production ended in 1955. A total of 204 C-124As were built, to be followed by 243 C-124Cs. In July 1950 Douglas received a letter contract to begin work on the YC-124B. The turboprop-powered KC-124B tanker variant was considered, which emerged as a single YC-124B transport prototype that flew in 1954.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...raft/c-124.htm

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Another picture of the YC-124B. It appears to be a test load when they were confirming that Redstone ( and later Thor and Atlas parts could fit in the -124 and probably used the YC-124B as it wasn't 'operational'
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C-124_Globemaster_II

Attachment 3871

Repaints are up, on the New Files list.

SAC 1959 with a SAC sash around the fuselage.

New Hampshire Air Guard.

North Carolina Air Guard.

MATS in overall Aircraft Gray (aka "ADC Gray.)

A collection of tweaks for Jens' textures. Better national insignia, turned an upside-down marking right side up, added arctic red to outer wingswhere appropriate, that sort of thing.

long haul

114 SOB
    23,000# cargo
    5035nm
    20:35:00 flight time
    KSUU (Travis AFB) to ETAR (Ramstein AFB) with fuel stop in CYFB (Iqaluit)

Don't leave home without a good, large book.

Photos: 1)Short final ETAR; 2) Turning inbound VFR at CYFB; 3) Landfall Europe (flight hour 19); 4) Just past Churchill Man

Hi,

MATS routes of the 1950's often flown by C-124's:

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/y...ying%20Charts/

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson
    CalClassic Propliners

chrisf36
    Has anyone seen any paints for the original Globemaster, the C-74? Been lookin around for that one but haven't found any?

Thanks
    Chris

Well, I'm sort of guessing here, but I suspect that the old C-74 was around for such a short time that they all just wore one standard livery and all looked alike except for the serial number on the fin and the Division name (Atlantic, Pacific, Continental) on the fin band. If that's so, it would pretty much kill the motivation to paint the model.

When I researched the C-124, which was in service for much longer, I found that there were just a few standard liveries, and only the small details varied between individual planes.

BTW, I agree with your signature banner! I spent most of last year fighting cancer, and while my chances of long term survival look good, I have post-op issues that will probably always be with me. (Well, at least it gave me an excuse to move my retirement date forward a bit.) Right now one of my best friends is taking his turn in the barrel, and his prospects are not nearly as good as mine. Yes, cancer sucks!

Members who have read this thread: 0