C-124 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-124

Hi,

The book "Aircraft of the United States Military Air Transport Service" shows two schemes for the C-74:

1. Solid bare metal with the yellow MATS arrow and logo under the cockpit. Black band (edged in a light color) on tail with Division markings, black USAF number under that, and USAF roundel/bars under windows between wing and horiz. stab. Black MILITARY AIR TRANSPORT SERVICE over the windows (12 windows long). MATS number on nose within geometric shape.

2. Later scheme. Bare metal, with white top fuselage with black edge stripe. Black edge stripe is just above the windows. Black edging swoops up over the top of the fuselage just behind the cockpit windows, leaving a solid bare metal nose. Black U.S. AIR FORCE under the cockpit. Black edging bumps up slightly when it encounters the U.S. AIR FORCE lettering. No number on nose. All the rest the same as scheme 1, except the MILITARY AIR TRANSPORT SERVICE over the windows is much smaller (6 windows long).

Hope this helps,

Mick's Repaints

Gentlemen, I say you 'Mick Morrissey!"

As usual, Mick, your repaints are great! You remind me of one of my favorite classical music conductors, Sir Charles MacKerras, who Janet Baker dubbed "Chuck 'em up Charlie" for his sheer ability to turn out vast quanities of work.

Keep those "Old Shakey" repaints coming!

Marc Burcham
    Marc H. Burcham
    Stone Mountain, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson View Post
    Hi,

The book "Aircraft of the United States Military Air Transport Service" shows two schemes for the C-74...
    Same as the two basic C-124 schemes (except some C-124s in the later livery also had white tops.)

Well, that's twice as many liveries as I would've expected. I didn't think the C-74 was around long enough to wear the second of those two schemes.

Maybe a repaint might be in order to give us the scheme Jens didn't paint. And maybe a better set of stars & bars on the scheme he did paint. But I really don't have the time...

Quote Originally Posted by burcham8 View Post
    Gentlemen, I say you 'Mick Morrissey!"

As usual, Mick, your repaints are great! You remind me of one of my favorite classical music conductors, Sir Charles MacKerras, who Janet Baker dubbed "Chuck 'em up Charlie" for his sheer ability to turn out vast quanities of work.

Keep those "Old Shakey" repaints coming!

Marc Burcham
    Thanks for the kind words!

I doubt that I'll do any more C-124s because we have all the basic "looks" that the plane wore, and any more points would just be a matter of different lettering. All that is left undone is a plane with a white fuselage top and without the arctic red markings. That would need a lot of work to do the rear fuselage fin junction, much more than the simple copy&paste&mix&match that the other paints were. Check out the texture files of the white topped paint, then a photo of a white topped C-124 without the red areas, and you'll see what I mean. It's possible, but not interesting enough to motivate me to do the work.

Any more paints would look just like one of the existing ones except for the lettering on the fuselage or fin. I wouldn't have time or motivation for that.

If you or anyone else are interested, I made a set of generic, factory-fresh textures of the later livery, the one that was in use longest and was worn by the most units, including all the Air Guard operators. Anyone who'd like a copy is welcome to one, just send me a PM with your e-address. Starting with this texture set, you could paint any C-124 with U.S. Air Force on the nose just by adding the appropriate unit markings. If you needed arctic red areas you could copy them from one of Jens' paints.

Members who have read this thread: 0