Blinking links are slowly driving me insane.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blinking links are slowly driving me insane.

Blinking links are slowly driving me insane.

I love the new forums system, but the only thing that's driving me a little mad are the blinking text links. When they're in the "off" state of their blinks, I can't click on them in Firefox, which means that following any link is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. Rather than just bellyaching from the peanut gallery, I thought I'd do something about it. Attached is a revised stylesheet for the forums that switches all instance of blinking links to plain underlined. Nothing else is changed but that. To use the CSS file, just unzip it and drop it into the folder and replace the main-rollup.css document.

Thanks for the time ickie and all you mods put into the forums.

I don't have any blinking links here. I wonder if it's an individual setting someplace...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

You're not the only one maddened by this 'improvement', Bill ! But PLEASE tell us just how exactly to 'drop the file into the folder' ????? I can't modify anything !

Hey All,

Firefox 3.0.18 and I play whack-a-mole too. Just click on the thread title a bunch of times and eventually you get in.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Yes Ed but it's a real PITA.......

Just fired up FireFox (3.5.2), and now I have blinking links too. Dang, this would drive me nuts! I'm going back to IE! (And I'm sending this "up the chain" to the smart people in charge...)
    HP Reverb G2

Just to clarify, this isn't a user mod, it's for ickie or someone on the team to implement. I was going to just PM him with the file, but apparently attachments aren't allowed for PMs. To "drop the file into the folder" you have to have access to the folder first.

The reason IE doesn't support the blink and Firefox does is that it uses a CSS property ("blink") that isn't implemented in IE. Normally, I'm all for full compliance with standards, but this might be one place where IE has it right. Can't believe I just said that. heh.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.2 and I ain't got no blinkin' links.....
    Ya'll update and it'll be better.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    I love the new forums system, but the only thing that's driving me a little mad are the blinking text links. When they're in the "off" state of their blinks, I can't click on them in Firefox, which means that following any link is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. Rather than just bellyaching from the peanut gallery, I thought I'd do something about it. Attached is a revised stylesheet for the forums that switches all instance of blinking links to plain underlined. Nothing else is changed but that. To use the CSS file, just unzip it and drop it into the http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s/style00025l/ folder and replace the main-rollup.css document.

Thanks for the time ickie and all you mods put into the forums.
    Did you try to blink in synch so as not to see the OFF state ?

(soooorrrrrry, couldnt help )

Seriously, the blinking does not seem to affect the hyperlinkage on my FF 3.6.2. (or I maybe lucky) It migth be some other cause at your end.
    Dominique
    Asus P4C800/3.0 Ghz @ 3.16-2 Gb PC3500 DDR-MSI 7800GS-Dell 19" LCD-CH USB pedals, yoke and HOTAS.
    Hab Mut, hatten wir durch.

Happiness Consultant
    IE8 here and no blinking. :mixedsmi:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Joe - just upgraded to 3.6.2 and still nasty red blinks all the time.........

Have done some Googling and found the answer for Firefox-ites.

1. Type about:config in the location bar and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' on the warning screen.
    2. Type blink into the Filter box.
    3. Double click on browser.blink_allowed to change its value to false. Blinking text inside < blink > tags in HTML should now not blink.

It works......

Icon5

I have Firefox 3.6.2 and the links flash but because I use the single click option in Windows I do not have the whack a mole issue.

What happens as I can see is the link should flash when you select it by single click.

Change from Double click to single click in your OS and the Blinking link is a non issue.

In XP go to the control panel/folder options

In the Click items as follows box select Single-click to open an item (point to select) and click Underline icon titles only when I point at them.
    In W7 open Explorer (folder icon on bottom left near start button)

Click on Organize select folder and search options

In the "Click items as follows box" select Single-click to open an item (point to select) and click Underline icon titles only when I point at them
    This takes you out of the dark ages of double click and into the proper world of clicking once.
    What before was the simple action of selecting a file by clicking it once is now done by pointing at it. executing which was done by the double click is not done by single click.

It does take a little getting used to and if you don't like it just go backwards.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Have done some Googling and found the answer for Firefox-ites.

1. Type about:config in the location bar and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' on the warning screen.
    3. Double click on browser.blink_allowed to change its value to false. Blinking text inside < blink > tags in HTML should now not blink.

It works......
    THANK YOU!! The blinking was driving me insane also. I have posted about it awhile back, but I guess a solution was never found or they haven't had time to get ti it. Now my search time on the forum has doubled, no more whack a mole trying to open a link YAHHHH!!

i applaud you sir

you percieved a problem, and sought a solution rather than using it as an excuse to complain. i didn't have the problem because i use opera. but doing something yourself is highly admirable, imo.

Lefty, prepare yourself. I'm about to send you a case of virtual beer. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :salute:

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Lefty, prepare yourself. I'm about to send you a case of virtual beer. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :salute:
    me too
    thanks that works
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Me too! Lefty's gonna have a lot of beer!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Me too! Lefty's gonna have a lot of beer!
    Lefty, I can assure you, is highly absorbent.............

Delighted to help, gentlemen

Awesome!

I had a hunch that there had to be a setting...but had no idea how to find it.
    Thanks a bunch for curing that little headache!

This one on me!
    Regards,
    Robert

What LOCATION bar?????

Am using Vista 64

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I get nothing but a blank screen when I go to that link. If that is what is supposed to happen, then I don't know what to do then.....

Thanks, Henry, though!

Chief, it looks like this for my Firefox...put that bit where I placed the red circle :salute:

Attachment 3427
    Regards,
    Robert

THANKS!

Who says you can't teach an old Chief new tricks?

Today isn't a lost cause after all; I learned something! That worked!!

YEA!!!!

NC

Members who have read this thread: 0