TrackIR woes

Thread: TrackIR woes

TrackIR woes

Been having some difficulty trying to get TrackIR to work properly recently. In FSX, it'll work fine for a couple of minutes or so, but soon after, it'll either start being very slow and unresponsive, as if I'm dragging my head through treacle, or it'll become incredibly jerky. The sim is running as smooth as silk, and it's only like that when I move my head, so I know it's definitely TrackIR that's causing the jerkiness/unresponsiveness.

However, each act differently within the client...
    Jerkiness - only occurs in FSX. The client view is running freely and smoothly when I move my head.
    Unresponsiveness - occurs in both.

For the record, in this test, I was maintaining a constant 30FPS, over UK2000 Duxford and Horizon VFR scenery, in the Warbirdsim P-51. Smooth at first, but soon degenerated into what I described above.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Asus P5K motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 512Mb
    2Gb Corsair something-or-other DDR2 RAM
    FSX Acceleration SP2
    DirectX 9.0c
    TrackIR 5 (although the same problems arise with TIR4)

Anyone had any experience of this, or better yet, suggestions to fix it?

ISTR that you should up the priority of the TrackIR software. HTH.

Maurice.

TIR also has problems with where it falls in the lineup of USB devices. Make sure it is the very last device you plug in. Now before you think "but my digital camera doesn't stay plugged in", it's important that TIR be the last "full time" device plugged in. It's ok to plug in something else, but just make sure when you fire up FSX that none of these "part time" devices have been plugged in.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yes, experienced this and raising the priority of TrackIR also worked for me.

There's a thread on the TrackIR forum which seems to suggest that the fix works for some, but not for others - 6 pages of discussion about this: http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/...r=40437&page=1

so if the priority doesn't solve it for you, that may be worth a dig through.

No luck I'm afraid. Tried changing the priority to high, plugging TIR in last, and updating the driver software (both for TIR and DirectX) and it still does the same. Hmm...

What's running in the background? Sometimes background programs and utilities can interfere with smooth simming. It's also possible that your computer system is being overwhelmed by the stress of FSX. 2.66GHz CPU is on the slow side and 2GB of RAM is pretty minimal these days.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    What's running in the background? Sometimes background programs and utilities can interfere with smooth simming. It's also possible that your computer system is being overwhelmed by the stress of FSX. 2.66GHz CPU is on the slow side and 2GB of RAM is pretty minimal these days.
    ATI Catalyst Control Centre, and that's about it. Bear in mind, this never (or rarely) happened before when I was on Win XP, as most others seem to be reporting in that thread that has been linked. As I say, the sim is maintaining a constant 30FPS and running smoothly, even when TrackIR is playing up. In fact, it's running even better than when I had XP, so I can't see performance in FSX as being the issue. People have also been having the same problems in other games, so it very much looks like an issue with TrackIR itself.

Then it could be the TrackIR driver not getting along well with Win7.