Laptops and FSX??

Thread: Laptops and FSX??

Laptops and FSX??

well with laptops becomeing more powerful these days i was wondering if anyone is using them for FSX?

i dont have one that will run FSX right now but i am curious to the Specs that people are running FSX on..
    if you could could answer the "Specs??" thing(im putting info in to give an idea what to put).. i am both curious for myself and think it may be useful for other people who want FSX on the go..

CPU (ie intel core 2 duo T8400@2.4 Ghz 800 FSB)
    Screen Rez (ie 1440x900)
    GPU (ie Nvdia 8600 GT 512 Mb)
    HDD (ie160 GB 5400RPM)
    average FPS (ie 30 Fps in addon sceenery with the A2A piper cub)

what FSX version you run and do you run active sky or something simular.

i just think it would be kinda cool to see what kind of specs on a laptop will run FSX
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    While I was on deployment I was running FSX on a Toshiba X205-9359. Laptop is now 2 and a half years old, and while it will still run FSX and all my add-on's it is not as visually pleasing as my new desktop, but it at least gave me an option where a desktop wasn't feasable. Add-ons I was usally running were FSX with low sliders on all except A/C, UTX/GEX USA-CAN, A2A 377/P-47, PMDG MD-11, Razbam A6/EA6B, CS 757, and Nemeth CH-53. I would get between 20-25FPS except in major cities where it would drop to crawl. NYC was mostly a slideshow. At the time I usually just stayed at GA airports and tried to avoid major cities. Here are the specs though. Have to forgive me as it predominatly sits in the closet now as I do not go on deployments at the moment:

CPU: T7300 Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
    Ram: Upgraded to 3GB DDR2 (PC5300 if I remember correctly.. was 5 something)
    Harddrive: 2X 160GB 5400RPM drives
    Video Card: Nvidia 8700GTm w/512mb RAM(not nHancer friendly by the way, drivers aren't supported)
    CDROM/DVD: 24XCD 8X DVD with burn capability
    Battery Life: I always had to have it plugged in to wall power, on the battery by itself I was lucky to get 40 minutes out of it doing any kind of intense gaming and such and that includes the start up as part of that 40 minutes. Not very long to do anything.
    USB Ports: Had a ton of USB ports, so I could plug in my external mouse, Saitek X-52, Saitek Rudder Pedals.

Overall Thoughts: While this laptop will run FSX, it is not a show stopper. I only shelled out the $$ at the time cause I didn't want to go 7 months without my favorite hobby. In the 2 and a half years since my purchase it seems there has been a lot of upgrading going on in the laptop world. So I think it may be possible to run FSX decently with a newer laptop, but I doubt they will come close to a purpose built desktop system. That is just my opinion from trying it both ways.

EDIT: Forgot to add my FSX Version, was running Acceleration/SP2.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

My new ASUS Intel i7 should show up today. I ran FSX for several years on a couple of higher end HP's and burned the video cards up from too much heat..... They worked OK though a smaller screen, at least let me do development on the road.

I think the new one should be good!

Cheers: T

Quote Originally Posted by Roadburner440 View Post
    While I was on deployment I was running FSX on a Toshiba X205-9359. Laptop is now 2 and a half years old, and while it will still run FSX and all my add-on's it is not as visually pleasing as my new desktop, but it at least gave me an option where a desktop wasn't feasable. Add-ons I was usally running were FSX with low sliders on all except A/C, UTX/GEX USA-CAN, A2A 377/P-47, PMDG MD-11, Razbam A6/EA6B, CS 757, and Nemeth CH-53. I would get between 20-25FPS except in major cities where it would drop to crawl. NYC was mostly a slideshow. At the time I usually just stayed at GA airports and tried to avoid major cities. Here are the specs though. Have to forgive me as it predominatly sits in the closet now as I do not go on deployments at the moment:

CPU: T7300 Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
    Ram: Upgraded to 3GB DDR2 (PC5300 if I remember correctly.. was 5 something)
    Harddrive: 2X 160GB 5400RPM drives
    Video Card: Nvidia 8700GTm w/512mb RAM(not nHancer friendly by the way, drivers aren't supported)
    CDROM/DVD: 24XCD 8X DVD with burn capability
    Battery Life: I always had to have it plugged in to wall power, on the battery by itself I was lucky to get 40 minutes out of it doing any kind of intense gaming and such and that includes the start up as part of that 40 minutes. Not very long to do anything.
    USB Ports: Had a ton of USB ports, so I could plug in my external mouse, Saitek X-52, Saitek Rudder Pedals.

Overall Thoughts: While this laptop will run FSX, it is not a show stopper. I only shelled out the $$ at the time cause I didn't want to go 7 months without my favorite hobby. In the 2 and a half years since my purchase it seems there has been a lot of upgrading going on in the laptop world. So I think it may be possible to run FSX decently with a newer laptop, but I doubt they will come close to a purpose built desktop system. That is just my opinion from trying it both ways.

EDIT: Forgot to add my FSX Version, was running Acceleration/SP2.
    verry cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have an HP HDX18 (18" screen) that does a decent job running FSX.

Specs:
    CPU: T9900 (3.06GHZ)
    Resolution: 1900 x 1080
    GPU: nVidia GT 130M 1024MB
    HDD: 2 x 500GB (7200 & 5400)
    Avg FPS: 20 +/- with pretty high settings, especially LOD
    FSX version: SP2

Shakenama

Laptops and FSX - Specs

My system specs:

Laptop: Toshiba L305
    Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dualcore 2.0Ghz
    Memory: 3GB DDR
    Video: ATI 3100
    Hard Drive 250GB 2.5" 5400rpm 8MB Cache

Overall this runs FSX/Acceleration SP2 decent. Nothing to get too excited about, but gameplay averages around 28-30FPS. I know I push the CPU/GPU, as the laptop gets hot when I fly.
    The scenery is fantastic with Flight Ones' Ultimate Terrain (I fly usually around the Norfolk, VA area and it matches pretty good) Ever since Javier released his amazing Nimitz carriers, I've been "doing CQ's alot off shore"
    (btw-anyone having issues with the animated shooters and steam?)

Looking to upgrade my CPU possibly to 3.0 in near future as this will help FSX (being it's CPU dependent)

Some screenshots
    http://www.flightsimulatornetwork.co...e=7aaie29a23i6

harleyman
    I have a Gateway FX laptop..Its runs FSX well. but I dont use it for that..it sits in the closet for road trips on the Harley...

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium ( 64-bit)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor 2.4Ghz (PM45 chipset = Socket P with 800mhz )
    3072 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    320GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive w/ 8MB cache2
    17.0" Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix I( 1920 x 1200 max. resolution)
    FX Design with Copper Core Accent
    Intel® PM965 Chipset and NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8800GTS with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory
    8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM featuring Labelflash™ Technology3
    Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Web Cam

poet,traveler
    TOSHIBA Model Satellite A505

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
    4.00 GB ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
    2302 MB Total available graphics memory
    110GB Free (454GB Total)

This is what I have,I have FSX but have never tried the program as I was told it won't run on this computer,I don't know.:d
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Charter Member 2015
    I've a couple of Alienware M9750's...
    17" 1920x1200 resolution
    2x Nvidia go 7950gtx 512mb cards ( 2x Nvidia go 8700GT cards in #2) in sli
    2x Samsung 500gb 7200rpm HDD ( 1x Samsung 64GB SSD and 1x Western Digital Blue 500GB 5400rpm in #2)
    Intel T7600 2.33GHZ processor
    4GB 667mhz pc5300 memory
    Sony-NEC Bluray dvd burner

I haven't tried FSX on them as it could never meet my expectations nor match the visuals/gaming experience of my desktops.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I have always wanted an Alienware for FSX on a laptop. The old ones are supposed to be the best. They are very heavy and several years old now, but are the Lamborghini of lappies...

The newest Apple Macbook Pro has a dual GC system now with the secondary GC being a hybrid dual CP and GC, with a secondary GC running. Supposedly frame rates for FSX on it is above 30 and below 40, which I find to be pretty good. Hopefully I'll be getting one soon and will find out first hand..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I have always wanted an Alienware for FSX on a laptop. The old ones are supposed to be the best. They are very heavy and several years old now, but are the Lamborghini of lappies...

The newest Apple Macbook Pro has a dual GC system now with the secondary GC being a hybrid dual CP and GC, with a secondary GC running. Supposedly frame rates for FSX on it is above 30 and below 40, which I find to be pretty good. Hopefully I'll be getting one soon and will find out first hand..

Bill
    sounds intresting.. i am actulay getting a MBP here from a friend that has been mostly sitting in the box lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Have my new ASUS G51J series with the I7 500 gb HD 4 gig mem, and Nvidia Gforce 360M.

Seems good so far and has a lot of features I like for work on the road. Runs FSX pretty well, though stepping back to a lightweight twisti stick is not ideal for travel.

Stayed away from the MAC as a photographer since the printer dialogs for EPSON are dumbded down so much as to be almost unuseable compared to the Windows versions. That and tey want an extra thou for merely a memory and HD size upgrade (worth about $200.....). I looked at them hard (my lady has one).

Cheers: T