Peculiar Plane ideas - Prop+Jet combo designs

Thread: Peculiar Plane ideas - Prop+Jet combo designs

Peculiar Plane ideas - Prop+Jet combo designs

Hey folks,
    While looking up info on the Gulfstream Peregrine, I ran accross a plane that it was derived from. The Hustler 500, turboprop + jet combo. That got me to thinking about some other prop+jet combos such as the Ryan Fireball/Darkshark and the Republic Thunderscreech. I am sure there are a few more interesting planes like that. Can engine combinations even be modelled in FS?
    Attachment 999
    Attachment 994
    Attachment 998
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No, unfortunately. Only one engine "type" is allowed.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Well.. You could cheat and say that both engines are the same type in the airfile so it will fly, but it will not be an accurate airfile representation.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

What about the C-123 Provider? There's one out there as FSx freeware. It has piston engines and two small jets. Maybe they act as additional piston engines.

And don't forget the P2V Neptune. A very successful design.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

B-36 and KC-97G come to mind as well.

-G-

I will only make a Thunderscreech if I can get an XML gauge that will make you sick when running up the engine! The supersonic blade tip speeds made sonic waves that made anyone nearby upchunk!
    AND IT WAS LOUD!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

The XF-84 was not a dual engine aircraft, it was a turboprop; granted, a very radical turboprop, but it didn't have a combo of jet propulsion and tp propulsion, say, like the XF-81. Having said that, I always liked K. Ito's XF-84, even though the FDE needed a major rework. I would love to see Piglet model one, minus the nausea, just because it was such a cool looking plane. To me it's sort of stuck between modern high speed jets and WW2 prop planes. Of course, TP's were studied extensively at the end of WW2 due to their better fuel efficiency than jets, especially the early jets. I just like the idea of a modern high speed prop fighter.

And did I mention, it looks cool?

Mercator and AJ Savage are two others.

I'd love a Ryan Fireball from a developer that knew how to do it outside the sim so two separate powerplants COULD be modeled. However a plane like that wouldn't even come close to making enough money...

Maybe if I win the lottery!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    I will only make a Thunderscreech if I can get an XML gauge that will make you sick when running up the engine!

XF-84H:
    "It flew a total of 12 test flights. One test pilot flew it once and refused to ever fly in it again.<sup id="cite_ref-air_6-0" class="reference"></sup>Test pilot Hank Baird took the craft up 11 times, with 10 of these flights ending in forced landings."

Sounds like a candidate for Accusim!

Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    I will only make a Thunderscreech if I can get an XML gauge that will make you sick when running up the engine! The supersonic blade tip speeds made sonic waves that made anyone nearby upchunk!
    AND IT WAS LOUD!!!!
    Yeah that was true apparantly just standing near one at idle was enough for you to throw up, and the pilots from what I've heard used to be so uncomfortable in the cockpits that it was dropped almost immediately, crazy Idea though!

The Iris Eagle sim has a great sonic speed sound, something like that might work
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD

I suggest the XF-91 Thundercepter as a good subject with a mix of propulsion, in this case jet and rocket power. It worked pretty well as an aircraft, but got overtaken by the pace of 50's development. There is a later model in the USAF museum, see the bottom link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF-91_Thunderceptor

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...eet.asp?id=584

Members who have read this thread: 0