WIP: FSX Solomon 1943 -- long -- - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WIP: FSX Solomon 1943 -- long --

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    i know its a big ask (i also know whats involved so i feel really cheek asking this!) but is there any chance of you the area around cape closchester (or whatever the heck its called!) and the area around lae?? just to to a favorite jaunt of mine ... actually .. whilst your at it you might as well do the whole of papua
    Nice suggestion, Stiz, expecially Cape Gloucester, which is also on New Britain. There are quite a few other places that could be made as WW2 scenario here.
    Lae is on PNG, but thats maybe outside the Solomon Scope and an own WW2 project (lot to do, think of Port Moresby etc).
    I'll put it on my list. But it won't happen soon, otherwise the Solomons never will be ready :-)

Cheers,
    Mark

Blog Entries

Rabual

Here is a site with alot of good information on Rabual in the 1940 era....

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/png_rabaul.html

I have used this site for information when building up scenery for my groups R/C war shows....Granted our shows were and will never be as good as Byron Godbersons STRIKING BACK shows, but we try to keep them as close to what the areas looked like then....
    Amazing what you can do with an R/C plane and some kerosine and gunpowder....

Thanks for the suggestion, Trucker, I visit this site for years now. A great reference for all this work.
    My work on the Rabaul photo-tile is almost finished, only a few things have to be added. Note Lakunai airfield on the images! Blends in nicely.
    I re-established myself with GMAX and made some custom scenery objects for it. Like the sand filled barrel revetments I saw on old pictures, or AAA positions. Unfortunatly, there is some material property I did not set properly, all the objects shine like hell. They should be flat. Oh well, back to reading the SDK docs and finding that parameter.

Cheers,
    Mark

Attachment 65665 Attachment 65666 Attachment 65667 Attachment 65668

Charter Member 2011
    Oh well, back to reading the SDK docs and finding that parameter
    tick "no base material specular" (or summing close to it!) down the bottom of the material rollout, same place where the "no shadow" tick box is
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Wow. thanks, Stiz, I found it!!

Blog Entries
    Hey Mark.
    Was wondering how the Solomons were comming along....
    Havent seen any updates in a while....

Hi Trucker,

it's coming along well. I had to redo the whole scenery object library and added over 100 objects (which I designed myself in GMAX) as well as making three large photo-sceneries for it, that's why it's taking so long. I opened another thread for it, see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...hlight=solomon .
    Right now I regress the Munda-photo tile to make it look like it does on the old photos I have - battle-torn as it was back then.

Cheers,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Hi Trucker,

it's coming along well. I had to redo the whole scenery object library and added over 100 objects (which I designed myself in GMAX) as well as making three large photo-sceneries for it, that's why it's taking so long. I opened another thread for it, see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...hlight=solomon .
    Right now I regress the Munda-photo tile to make it look like it does on the old photos I have - battle-torn as it was back then.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Sounds great so far...Looking forward to adding this to the rest of the WWII scenery i have downloaded....

Members who have read this thread: 43