WIP: FSX Solomon 1943 -- long -- - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP: FSX Solomon 1943 -- long --

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    I have searched the site, and have not been able to find the download....Is it still available....or available on another site.
    I'm still working on the update, but real life has me preoccupied with other things right now. But the wait is worth it, just hang on....

Cheers,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    I'm still working on the update, but real life has me preoccupied with other things right now. But the wait is worth it, just hang on....

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark. was just wondering how the solomons was comming along....Havent heard any news in a while.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Solomons

Just thought i would let others know if rogerwilco hasnt informed you as of yet.

The Solomons scenery he had been working on has been Canceled...He has had so much work to do helping in the creation of other sceneries, that this one wont be comming out.

Sad news, but thank you for the update. I think we're all very happy for the original. It is entirely excellent.

Indeed, I used the scenery for a lot of Warbird flight test and development! Added a lot of fun to the process! Sad to hear, but life goes on.

Tom

I work very closely with Mark, and to my knowledge he has not cancelled his update to Solomon Islands. It is true that it has been delayed. Mark is developing and working on new techniques that will soon be apparent with the release of the ChiChi Jima 1945 scenery. It is my understanding he will apply these techniques to Solomon Islands down the road. Mark has been sharing many of his techniques with me and I hope to supply him the support he needs to complete the update.

ChiChi Jima should be going to the beta testers very soon. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Scuttlebutt!
    Nothing has been canceled! As Tom mentioned, we worked together on ChiChi Jima 1945 which, to me, was a test bed for my further scenery development work. For example, I tried to use old aerial recon photography as photoreal airfield backgrounds, developed new FSX coastlines that match the scenery better and stuff like that. This will all flow into a new version of the Solomons. Additionally, there will be a photoreal Rabaul in it, the Kapingamarangi Atoll as well as Espiritu Santo.
    In the meanwhile, I'll release a completely overworked "old" Solomon scenario, which is already finished. I just have to get the reorganisation of the libraries done, which is awfully time consuming.
    So hang on, there's a lot going on.

Cheers,
    Mark

Sure sounds like it. Superb Mark, look forward to it.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

PHEW! My blood pressure was going through the roof! Thanks for setting the record straight Mark.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Now that Toms and my work on ChiChi Jima come to an end, I started to work on the Solomon release again.
    Even though I plan it as an intermediate release with not too much changes besides those that are really necessary, I want to employ some new learned techniques on it. I already reworked the coastline textures and made Seghi airfield a bit more 3 dimensional, besides changing a lot of scenery objects. I'll have to continue through the whole project now, and estimate a third has been done so far.

On the Seghi Image, note the guys having a beer at the bar under the camo net :-)

Cheers,
    Mark

Attachment 64651 Attachment 64652

Looking really good + looking forward to it Mark.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Now that Toms and my work on ChiChi Jima come to an end, I started to work on the Solomon release again.
    Even though I plan it as an intermediate release with not too much changes besides those that are really necessary, I want to employ some new learned techniques on it. I already reworked the coastline textures and made Seghi airfield a bit more 3 dimensional, besides changing a lot of scenery objects. I'll have to continue through the whole project now, and estimate a third has been done so far.

On the Seghi Image, note the guys having a beer at the bar under the camo net :-)

Cheers,
    Mark

Sweet!!! I foresee a movie in the future!!! -TF

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Great stuff Mark:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Guys, that is Mark and I having a beer at the bar celebrating the completion of Chi-Chi Jima 1945.

It's great having good Pacific scenery to fly around. It will be better when B12's P-39 is ready.

I don't like the stock crushed coral taxiways and runways in the Solomons, they are too bright and way too low in resolution. So here's a new version of a bump mapped texture for the taxiways. The runway is a bit more complicated.

Attachment 64845

Little quiz: where's that?

What about a little quiz. What area/city/harbour is that?

Attachment 65178

Charter Member 2011
    rabual, easy
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Good one Stiz, on the island of New Britain, north eastern end.

ok, Stiz, you got it :-)

This is what it will look like in FSX / P3D.
    Very WIP, blendmasks will have to be adjusted, as well as color saturation of the phototile and and the annotation of autogen and setting of objects. The city is already regressed to 1943 outlines, but not ready yet. I read a lot of old literature and study some old maps to make it look authentic.

Cheers,
    Mark

Attachment 65181 Attachment 65182 Attachment 65183 Attachment 65184 Attachment 65185 Attachment 65186

Great stuff, wilco...looking forward to adding this for the RAZBAM flight club sunday hops!

You rock!

Charter Member 2011
    i know its a big ask (i also know whats involved so i feel really cheek asking this!) but is there any chance of you the area around cape closchester (or whatever the heck its called!) and the area around lae?? just to to a favorite jaunt of mine ... actually .. whilst your at it you might as well do the whole of papua
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Outstanding attention to detail. This is going to be a real joy to fly around!
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Wow! Mark that is just outstanding detail!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I still have the original installed and love it. But those update pics have me salivating. Take your time though. I don't want you getting burned out.