Instant Hearing Loss, Brain Surgery, and Technology

Thread: Instant Hearing Loss, Brain Surgery, and Technology

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Instant Hearing Loss, Brain Surgery, and Technology

Hey all,

For those that do not know, last year in April, my brother woke up at 1:30 AM in the morning, totally deaf. Both ears quit working up to 95% of their ability. He had an eye infection, a small sore on the surface from a bad contact lense having not been maintained right. That was the only thing going on when his hearing decided to go out the window.

He then purchased a set of $10,000.00 special Danish high technology blue tooth super high freq. hearing aids that use new technologies for hearing. This worked for a short while, but his hearing began to decline more.

His work in the Freight Brokerage field was knocked out about 95%. His ability to understand people on the phone was hit hard, even with blue tooth high tech hearing aids. This was mainly caused by the long period of time in which he couldnt hear. For some reason, the brain 'dumps' the programming of understanding language and sounds quite swiftly when you go totally deaf for say 3 months. It was in that period of time that he didnt know that these high technology hearing aids existed. (Audicon I think is the name of the hearing aids).

So, he had to relearn English, use subtitles on and off on movies and the news, relearn how people talk. Common noises like engines of cars driving by, an airplane flying over, sounds of a womans high heals 'clack' as she walked by, became incredibly odd and difficult for him to deal with.

Well, so hear it is about a year later, and he is still allowed to go for something called Choclear Implant surgery, where they go into the outer area's of the brain in one ear area and install aparatus' of technology (implants and chips) and take out actual ear organ components, replacing them with wires and things. It was an outpatient surgery and he was out by noon today.

It will now be a while before they activate the system in his head. They say it will have a huge gain on hearing for him as the hearing aids were deteriorating.

I dont know why things like this happen to people. Its horrible to see. I wish I could lay hands on him and heal him. I did do that quite a few times, but his hearing remained gone. The chances of both ears going are astronomically high, like being struck by lightning.. But.. People do get hit by lightning, and people do lose both sets of hearing. (Your ears have two completely seperate hearing systems, one on each side of the brain, so for both to go out is totally wrong, odd, and a mystery). They still cannot figure out why they went out....

He dealt with a ton of life changing issues when this occurred. One of the only things he had going after losing his house, bad breakup, losing his cars, his business accounts, was music. Then that was gone, and daily business as well. What some people go through is pretty intense. Makes you wonder and think...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2014
    I would like to add that Mike 'Gigabyte' here at SOH, who has suffered a similar ailment, helped my brother IMMENSELY. I cannot thank him enough. Poor Robert was severely hindered and Mike opened his mind up to all the possibilities of what can be done, options, that others were out there like him. Mike and Robert are members of a hearing loss online talk center for those that have had instant hearing loss, or high deteriorated hearing loss, and they go out and help people.

Thanks Mike for helping save my Brother.. Youre awesome man! Gods blessings be with you always.

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Retired SOH Administrator
    So today was the surgery?

I did not know that... :isadizzy:

...Hannah and I will pray that this surgery will be a success... and that he may be able to hear again...

A quick recovery for you Robert!

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Thanks ChaCha and little ChaCha,

Much appreciated.

He is recovering, the drugs from surgery are wearing off. He has a huge bandage around his head. It really freaked out my little puppy Junior who realised something wasnt right. He had to sniff his bandages. (They have a bond. Junior has to go with Robert out for smoke breaks. I just hope that Junior doesnt take up smoking. His hair may turn red like Roberto's.. ).

Bill

I'll definitely be keeping him and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers, I'd add that you can't let him get discouraged but it seems as if you have that handled. Be strong, he'll be drawing energy off of you while recovering.

CAD

It's one thing to do something stupid and have to pay a price for it - yet it seems anything can happen to anyone for no apparent reason. Makes me wonder what the point of it all is sometimes . . .

I very much hope your brother can benefit from the implant.

Lionheart

I will keep your brother in my prayers. And you and Junior as well, to give you both the strength to help your brother through this period.

A few years back, I worked at the local Salvation Army Thrift store as the Assistant Manager...fun job, got to meet lots of fine folks. One day, I was making some adjustments and repairs to some of the clothing racks....and I got that feeling that I was being watched. I looked over my left shoulder, and there in a cart at the end of the isle, was the prettiest little girl I have ever seen....and she was intently watching me work. I got to talking with her mom, and found that this sweet little girl had been born deaf. She was just a couple months away from having the Choclear Implant surgery performed.

A couple times a week this girl and her mom would come into the store...and everytime, the girl had to find me.....don't know why she was so drawn to me...probably the same reason animals are...I smell like cheese or something...but I have been told by people older and wiser that children and animals have the ability to sense a person's heart and they are drawn to people with good hearts....don't know about that, I tend to go with the smelling like cheese theory as the more plausible explanation.

The surgery was a success and when they activated the implant, the little girl's life changed in ways that I could not imagine. I was on vacation when the implants were activated, so it wasn't until the third week of her having her hearing that I saw her again. They came into the store, and like clock work she was on the hunt...looking for me. And when she found me, she stood there just looking at me with those huge brown eyes and that smile that rivaled the sun..just like she always did. Her mom walked up and asked me to talk to her....I knelt down, looked her in the eyes and said "Hi". Seeing the look on someone's face the instant they hear your voice, a voice that they had never head before....I thought that was the most amazing thing in the world...until she said "Hi" back.....then I knew that hearing the voice of someone who previously did not have a voice....THAT is the most amazing thing in the world.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bill,
    I have a co-worker who had the exact surgery you are talking about. Once the surgery site had healed, she was able to activate the implant, and for her the improvement was dramatic. She hadn't realized just how loud she was talking, and it took her a couple of weeks to modulate her voice to more "normal" levels. Being a mail carrier, it makes her job much safer, as she can now hear potential dangers (dogs, crazy drivers, etc). Of course, no one messes with her anyway, since her husband is a police officer.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

Well, so hear it is about a year later, and he is still allowed to go for something called Cochlear Implant surgery, where they go into the outer area's of the brain in one ear area and install apparatus' of technology (implants and chips) and take out actual ear organ components, replacing them with wires and things. It was an outpatient surgery and he was out by noon today.

It will now be a while before they activate the system in his head. They say it will have a huge gain on hearing for him as the hearing aids were deteriorating.
    Bill
    Bill, the Cochlear Implant is a brilliant piece of medical technology and has a remarkable success record.
    I hope your brother is one the many who have had their hearing restored via the procedure.
    Best wishes.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Bill, thanks for the kind words, for me it is always pleasue to help anyone with hearing loss and especially folks like Robert who experience the same devistation of sudden major loss like I did. I checked in on his FB page and saw his picture of the wonderful head gear, man that dressing is a beauty...lol and I added a few words of encouragement as well. Make sure he takes it easy for another week or so, it is day surgery but he does need to watch things like his balance for a couple of days.

I am confident Robert will do well with the Implant, he is an excellent candidate for an very good outcome, when a person receives an Implant within the first 1-3 years of loosing their hearing they generally do very well and adapt quite quickly. The basic Auditory Memory is still fairly strong and the person does remember what words and enviromental sound mean so there is no need to retrain the brain, so that helps. Remind Robert of my motto - High Hopes and Low Expectations!

Now when he is first activated ("A" Day) the fun begins, you want a good laugh, try to be around the first time he goes to the "Can" after he is activated, when he flushes it will sound like an explosion and he will probably bolt out of the can like a rocket...lol My Audi pumped me full of coffee so I would need to use the can before I left the clinic, she and my wife were waiting outside the door when I flushed, as I bolted they stood there laughing like fools... looking back it was very funny...

Say hi to Robert, and let him know he is in my thoughts, I am confident he will do very well with the CI and he did receive the very newest Model which is even better than my own so that improves his chances even more.

Ears Hopin
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Bill --

I will keep your brother in my prayers... In the mean time, stand tall and be strong for him.

All the best to him...and you.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries
    I lost 100% of my hearing in 1 ear while I was in the Army I was in the mortor pattoon 81MM
    I have had every hearing device ever made. My other ear is at 75% I hate going places where there is a bunch of people talking it all gets garblled up. I usually do not wear a hearing aid it doesn'r do much to improve my life. I cannot hear stereo or surrond sound, just mono. In my studio I use a head phone. lol
    Look What I Have Become!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Lionheart

I will keep your brother in my prayers. And you and Junior as well, to give you both the strength to help your brother through this period.

A few years back, I worked at the local Salvation Army Thrift store as the Assistant Manager...fun job, got to meet lots of fine folks. One day, I was making some adjustments and repairs to some of the clothing racks....and I got that feeling that I was being watched. I looked over my left shoulder, and there in a cart at the end of the isle, was the prettiest little girl I have ever seen....and she was intently watching me work. I got to talking with her mom, and found that this sweet little girl had been born deaf. She was just a couple months away from having the Choclear Implant surgery performed.

A couple times a week this girl and her mom would come into the store...and everytime, the girl had to find me.....don't know why she was so drawn to me...probably the same reason animals are...I smell like cheese or something...but I have been told by people older and wiser that children and animals have the ability to sense a person's heart and they are drawn to people with good hearts....don't know about that, I tend to go with the smelling like cheese theory as the more plausible explanation.

The surgery was a success and when they activated the implant, the little girl's life changed in ways that I could not imagine. I was on vacation when the implants were activated, so it wasn't until the third week of her having her hearing that I saw her again. They came into the store, and like clock work she was on the hunt...looking for me. And when she found me, she stood there just looking at me with those huge brown eyes and that smile that rivaled the sun..just like she always did. Her mom walked up and asked me to talk to her....I knelt down, looked her in the eyes and said "Hi". Seeing the look on someone's face the instant they hear your voice, a voice that they had never head before....I thought that was the most amazing thing in the world...until she said "Hi" back.....then I knew that hearing the voice of someone who previously did not have a voice....THAT is the most amazing thing in the world.

OBIO
    That is one really awesome story, Tim. It touched me. Thanks.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Happiness Consultant
    As an indicator of how well those devices work, Rush Limbaugh wears one. (I believe.)
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    I lost 100% of my hearing in 1 ear while I was in the Army I was in the mortor pattoon 81MM
    I have had every hearing device ever made. My other ear is at 75% I hate going places where there is a bunch of people talking it all gets garblled up. I usually do not wear a hearing aid it doesn'r do much to improve my life. I cannot hear stereo or surrond sound, just mono. In my studio I use a head phone. lol
    Ickie, I am not sure about your coverage, but I know many of the folks I chat with that are ex-military and have VA coverage (I think that is what they call it?) have had Implants or BAHA's covered. If you have the coverage to be assessed and have not seen an Audiologist or ENT in the past number of years, you owe it to your self to check out some of the new options. There are some great devices avaliable for single sided deafness now, the Cochlear Implant for Sensoral (nerve deafness) and the BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) for mixed, or conductive, hearing loss. The BAHA is used quite often for single sided deafness and the folks I know that have them say they are totally amazing.

If you are interested in more information take a peak at this site - http://www.cochlearamericas.com/ or drop me a note and I can send you all kinds of realted links and Information.

I am not trying to promote or push anything on you, I just wanted to let you know there are some amazing new options out there so if you are interested check it out or drop me a line. Hearing loss is a subject near and dear to me personally so I like to raise awareness when I can.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

We're pulling for him Bill, hoping all goes well and he gets his hearing back with the implant.

I've had friends up north that were deaf and had implants. The best thing to see in the world is someone's smile when they can hear again or for the first time. It's truely a miracle.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

poet,traveler
    One of our drivers has the implants,they are very small and work well enough for him to pass the DOT physical and drive big truck.
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Prayers for your brother are arising from St. Gregory's House daily, Bill.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Bill,...you're brother is in my prayers and thoughts.....
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot