i don't understand

Thread: i don't understand

i don't understand

why i'm so surprised. i have a buddy back home. he's been pretty consistant by getting a dui about every 5 years or so but somehow never going to jail. i have expressed to him countless times how much i hate it that he does this. tonight he calls me and says "i might be going to jail, because delaware has no statute of limitations on dui offenses" so i laugh at him, not because it's funny that he's 44 and is still getting dui's, but because he feels like he deserves some leniency because he claims it's been 9 years since the last one. i reminded him that he did dui classes back in 2005. he says "well yeah, but i got the charge reduced by going to the classes". he gets upset because i laughed at him. he says "i've never been to jail before, i'm really worried"
    i told him if i was there i would have smacked him upside the head. this guy has been like my brother since we were 15. i told him i would write to him, and to ask bubba for a kiss and a reach around so he wouldn't feel used. thanks for listening to me vent. i feel he's been extremely lucky by not hurting someone or himself already. i just wish he'd grow up.:angryfir:

The problem with alcoholics is that they can't think beyond the next drink. If he's upset because he's going to jail, pardon me, but too damn bad. He's extremely lucky he hasn't killed or injured someone while driving under the influence. If he knows he's an alcoholic, he should try staying at home to do his drinking. Unfortunately jail may not be enough for this guy to change his attitude. Sorry...rant over.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Your friend has good reason to be worried, his most recent DUI may have put him at the felony offense level: http://dui.drivinglaws.org/delaware.php
    I think we pretty well covered the DUI topic in another thread here.

poet,traveler

Thumbs up

My brother is on his 2nd DUI in 6 months.He blew a .28 on the first one and I don't know on the second one.He gets mad and says it's a real shame that the cops won't let a guy have a couple of beers.....a .28...he is 57 and that is his 5th maybe?:isadizzy:
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

MCDesigns
    lock him up and throw away the key!

I dated a girl that I found out to be an alcoholic a month after we got serious and as much as I tried to understand/be supportive, even going to AA meetings with her and everything else, her inability to say no despite all the support and reasoning was just beyond my comprehension.

that's just it. i don't like him doing it either. we've had fights about it when i was back there. i agree with the rest of you that if he goes to jail he should consider himself lucky. it just blows me away that anyone could be so blind as to not see what it is about it that's wrong. or at least that he could avoid facing it.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Its crazy...

My brother had a DUI 2 years ago. Lost his car. He is supposed to go to jail for a week or two, in the famed tent city prison camp. Funny though that city politicians get a DUI and dont go to jail.

I used to yell at my brother when he would take off in his car, half tanked... Really messes with the families hearts when a loved one is doing stupid things like that. I think now he has gotten the message about drinking and driving. 40 years old...

CF,

Smacking them upside the head doesnt seem to help. The next day they forget. It does help to make you feel better.. sometimes.. not always.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Gotta agree....." lock him up and throw away the key!"

It's a wonder he's gotten caught again Cheezy. Tho they do setup Drunk Driver check points once in a while. Cops around here these days just ride around so it seems. Lights out, blarring radios, and reckless driving don't seems to faze them. "There's more important things to deal with" came directly from one of the Commanders I talked to not too long ago.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Happiness Consultant
    Down here in Jax, they have a thing that could be akin to entrapment.

I've been to bars where a local sheriff's officer will sit in the lot and report "incidents" to other waiting officers a block or so down the road from the bar in every direction.

Not unusual to leave a pub and see someone pulled over and going through the routine.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

SOH-CM-2024
    It never ends Cheezy.

One of my best childhood friends, friends throughout childhood and beyond, almost brothers, is an alcoholic and drug addict. After twenty years and countless wasted dollars on my part, I finally gave in and just gave up. He is a Vietnam vet, one more reason why myself and his AA brother tried our asses off to help him. His real problem was drugs, bad drugs, spoon drugs, if you know what I mean! he'd get on a downer and some one would show up with beer, that's it!

It's sad, he has never been a violent, bad person, is very amicable when straightened out, but he just has monsters that maybe Jack and I cannot approach. he's in Durham, NC now, currently clean and working at the VA. He has two lovely daughters, one very successful and managing a very large firm in Raleigh. It just makes me want to cry because I cannot break through.

Caz

Charter Member 2016
    Snuffy, that's not anything near "entrapment". It's just like deer hunting - they come to you in your blind with corn and a salt lick in front of you. Same concept and it prevents the drunk from getting very far into traffic.

You may have heard the old story of the "designated bait car" used when police stake out the bar parking lot. This guy comes stumbling and lurching out of the bar and seems to have a bit of trouble getting his car going. He proceeds slowly down the street (without committing any violations) and two or three cops pull him over after following him out of the lot. Well, they spend about 45 min. making him go through multiple field sobriety tests, which he passes fully, and even passes a field breath test (because he wasn't drinking at all).

The cops demand an explanation and he finally admits that while they were fooling around with him, four of his drunk buddies drove home. . .
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"