Who runs on DirectX 10? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What DirectX do you run in FSX?

Voters
625. You may not vote on this poll
  • DirectX 9

466 74.56%
  • DirectX 10

159 25.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who runs on DirectX 10?

harleyman
    Well..After such a long time of having Acceleration off my machines, I decided to load it up last night with my new install..

I must say...No config tweaks at all, , and only GEX and UTX installed so far...

Locked at 40 , running DX10 in weather, I was getting 28-35 frames that were very smooth

But...I dont get the hype about it..It all but looks the same to me....

There is no contest on my DX10 system.

Using an FS9 model.

DX9, 27fps

DX10, 40fps

No apparent difference in AA

George

Blog Entries
    Welll, i can see enough of an appreciable difference betwen dx9 and dx10/11 on my machine to get hot and heavy over the new stuff. What clinches it for me, is dx10/11s inability to deal with dx9 model textures.Since so many plans i enjoy are from fs9, and they run so much better on fsx, i use dx9 so i can fly them. its a no brainer..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    What clinches it for me, is dx10/11s inability to deal with dx9 model textures.
    The Seaking in the above shot is an FS9 model

Been 100% DX9 up until now, but just tested out DX10 and saw a massive improvement in FPS. Not had a chance to test different aircraft out yet, but DX9 was giving ~25FPS, peaking at 30, and with identical settings, DX10 is giving ~35FPS, peaking at around 47. The only problem is the enbseries DLL is no longer working. Is there a DX10 version for it?

MCDesigns
    Been reading thru this thread, the one at the FTX forums and other forums and what gets me the most is how defensive some can get towards DX10 when users that want to get the most out of it get told in direct terms, "it's a preview, get over it!". maybe so, but I have been flying more and more with DX10 and all the little difference really enhance my experience. I notice better performance, I just love what the extra shaders do for deep water, the white caps are sweet, and having cockpit shadows really enhances the experience since I fly helis mostly.
    yeah I get the occasional flickering at airports which usually can be fixed, the issue that custom ground polys have and a few FS9 aircraft have some textures issues, but it's give and take like anything else in life.

Here's hoping that one day we can find a fix for these things and even discover new things that DX10 can make shine and thus further our enjoyment of the sim.

I run on DX10 mainly for the additional frame boost and smoothness. But my water under DX9 2x mid looks SO MUCH better. For whatever reason DX10 water isn't even close to the DX9 water on my system. The runway flickering doesn't bother me.

[EDIT] Apparently the water issue lies with REX2.0. I didn't select the DX10 optimization in REX's options. Will have to fix it when I get home this evening.

Blog Entries
    Soooooo, how did you get dx9 textures to work in DX10?? curious minds want to know..

I didn't...

After talking with Tim over at REX, it can't be done. But apparently FSWC+ will have DX10 support.

Wich one?

Want to go Windows 7 and running Nvidia 285 on direct x 9...and REX 2
    One question...as far as I read it looks like we can change aleatory between direct 9 and 10..
    Is this true? Wich one do you Gents, think best? looks like 10, no?

Best regards

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Want to go Windows 7 and running Nvidia 285 on direct x 9...and REX 2
    One question...as far as I read it looks like we can change aleatory between direct 9 and 10..
    Is this true? Wich one do you Gents, think best? looks like 10, no?

Best regards
    We can allright but, for my system, as soon I installed Accel I was usiing DX10 very well (switching on/off DX9/DX10 at will) then, all of a sudden, switching on DX10 opening screen goes black and FSX refuse to start !!!!!
    This the reason why I fly in DX9 mode !!!
    Has anybody had same strange ....grrrrrr ??????

Italo

It sounds like you dont have DX10 drivers, or you have installed the Bloom mod, which is a DX9 based effects mod.

I am using Win 7 (ultimate)..switching on/off DX9/DX10 at will. Everything is awesome, FPS in the 50's and 60'S. All sliders to the right!

The only problem is I can't find an image grabber or screenshot that works.

Dick

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    CPU Cooling: Stock Intel HS&F
    Motherboard: Intel DX58SO Extreme
    RAM: 3 x 2GB G.Skill 1333MHz DDR3 HP Triple Channel
    Graphics:BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640mhz (DX-10)
    Sound: Creative SBX-Fi Audio [1000]
    Monitor: Samsung 24" 2443BW LCD
    Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA2
    Secondary Hard Drive: Old Western Digital 74GB Raptor
    Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW 216BK SATA
    Power Supply: Seasonic 700W M12
    Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE

Quote Originally Posted by sidler View Post
    ScreenHunter 5 Free works fine.

George

Thanks George...yes it worked real nice.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    ScreenHunter 5 Free works fine.

George

Thank you!

Been looking for one that works as well.
    Ark
    --------------------------
    Win7 64-bit
    Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
    Core i7 920 @ 4.0
    6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Evga GTX 480 SC+
    SB X-FI Fatality
    640GB WD "Black"
    Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

I actually like DX10 mode for the performance gains but the flickering scenery drives me nuts so I usually keep it on DX9.

LouP

I see that DX10 flickering on run- and taxyways only on larger airports, those that have that yellow taxyway lines.
    Since I avoid them like the plague anyway it's a nobrainer, DX10 all the way.
    Better performance in DX10, much less impact on fps when using bloom and more hassle-free in regards to AA.
    The newer third party airfield addons do not suffer from that flickering btw. That seems to be true at least for the ORBX USA/Canada airfields.
    Mathias

Blog Entries
    meh. On my machine, DX-10 gives me one setting of 1280x720, when my screen is 1920x1080.. looks like hell, and the rest of the anomalies ( flickering, too bright, missing textures etc ) make it not worth it...

My FSX computer is running Windows XP so picking which version of DirectX to use is a no-brainer; it's DX9 or nothing!

Regards, Mike Mann

Quote Originally Posted by mfitch View Post
    Sometimes I turn on DX10 along with a few extra features. Usually this is off though because I use NVidia's 3D shutter glasses, and that does not work with the DX10 preview feature (along with light bloom I think).
    That is a real shame, I was about to give DX10 a go with my nVidia 3D glasses

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by sidler View Post
    I am using Win 7 (ultimate)..switching on/off DX9/DX10 at will. Everything is awesome, FPS in the 50's and 60'S. All sliders to the right!

Dick

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    CPU Cooling: Stock Intel HS&F
    Motherboard: Intel DX58SO Extreme
    RAM: 3 x 2GB G.Skill 1333MHz DDR3 HP Triple Channel
    Graphics:BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640mhz (DX-10)
    Sound: Creative SBX-Fi Audio [1000]
    Monitor: Samsung 24" 2443BW LCD
    Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA2
    Secondary Hard Drive: Old Western Digital 74GB Raptor
    Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW 216BK SATA
    Power Supply: Seasonic 700W M12
    Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE
    The built-in screen shot grabber won't work?

LouP

Problems aside I have since switched DX10 back on and despite the issues, it just feels better for some reason. Maybe I'll switch it back at some point but I am doing my best to keep it on right now. Anyone know what version Flight will be using?

LouP

I've finally (and defenitevely) switched to DX10 !!
    End of going up and down DX9-DX10-DX9 again ... and so on :salute:
    Italo

Quote Originally Posted by italoc View Post
    I've finally (and defenitevely) switched to DX10 !!
    End of going up and down DX9-DX10-DX9 again ... and so on :salute:
    Italo
    How did you get DX10 to work finally? I am still having the same problems you posted above. After switching to DX10 I get the flash screen then it drops to the tool bar and stays there. In Taskmanager I can see FSX running slowly and dxdiag also. Any tips?
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Members who have read this thread: 1