SOH Upgrades - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOH Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    I really don't think that is a good idea. AVSIM made a "commercial members" group and it has caused a lot of division among members. If that sort of thing were to happen here, it is likely many developers would simply leave.

The last thing we need right now is to set some members apart from others. Division is what kills forums and communities. Why introduce something that has the risk of damaging our tightly-knit community?

The fundraiser practically just started. I know there are others like me who have not yet had the chance to donate but still plan to. Let's give it some more time.
    Nobody would be starting a "group". All that would happen is a private transaction between Ickie and those willing to pay. Members would know nothing of it, nor the amounts paid.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Nobody would be starting a "group". All that would happen is a private transaction between Ickie and those willing to pay. Members would know nothing of it, nor the amounts paid.
    could have a few conflicts though
    being the time as it is, competition is mean
    but thinking!
    i got the polls to work
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Same principle as advertising Henry. SOH has a right to collect revenue that way too. Banner ads etc. for those companies wishing to take them. Can't see the harm really... polls will speak though.

Same principle as advertising Henry. SOH has a right to collect revenue that way too. Banner ads etc. for those companies wishing to take them. Can't see the harm really... polls will speak though.
    Poll the developers then, not the everyday user. They wouldn't be the ones affected or put into that other group. Even if you didn't make a separate physical group, it would still be there and could potentially cause issues.

Blog Entries
    I am not picking on you Kiwikat.Your point is a good one and others, I am sure feel the same. The reality is that a few individuals can no longer afford to pay thousands of dollars every year out of their pockets so the rest of us can enjoy SOH.

With the new server, which is needed because of the growth SOH has seen, the yearly cost to maintain this site is around $10,000. Somebody has to pay that.

We are open to all and any ideas on how we can raise the money.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

You had my support at, "Over the past ten years...!"

Count me "staying in". :salute:

Duckie
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    Poll the developers then, not the everyday user. They wouldn't be the ones affected or put into that other group. Even if you didn't make a separate physical group, it would still be there and could potentially cause issues.
    Actually I did suggest that the poll be for developers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    With the new server, which is needed because of the growth SOH has seen, the yearly cost to maintain this site is around $10,000. Somebody has to pay that.

We are open to all and any ideas on how we can raise the money.
    Well as it is, we have already hit 55% of that 10,000 goal. It has been 3 weeks since it started...

I'd say give it some more time. We may not hit 10,000 but I think we'll get close. Every day the total seems to bump up a few hundred dollars. My "bump" will be coming within the next week.

With the addition of a multiplayer server, we might even bring in more members and a few more donations. Of course that is purely speculation, but who knows?

Third party advertising and/or paid developer advertising WOULD change the mood around here. It wouldn't be for the better either.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Actually I did suggest that the poll be for developers.
    yes you did
    and that was what i was thinking on, how to do just that
    im not realy into banner ads
    but!
    one thing i do love is being independent
    no financial ties to any company
    although i have my personal favorites
    i can still have somewhat of an open mind
    money is a funny thing
    you can make friends into enemy's in seconds
    you have my email
    give me a holla
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Coming from the peanut gallery:

The independence of this site is one of the greatest attractions in my mind. OK, we started the drive on 1 January, but as with everything, it slowly peters out and loses its steam. I suggest that with a great amount of fanfare, IN EVERY SUB FORUM, a new campaign is started on 1 March, so that it is again fresh in the minds of people. Yes, I will contribute then again, you have my promise for that. But I think that we may be able to get a number of new people to contribute then.

In the meantime I can only say that you guys do a fantastic job here, I am on this site several times a day, and have learned a lot from it and have a lot of fun here to, it is great retirement entertainment.

If this move helps us improve the quality of this Website than all behing it. Thank you and the rest of guys for all are doing for us members and this hobby.

I'll plug in another donation when the paycheck comes in on Sat. The online server will be GREAT for our RTW team!

WH
    With the wisdom of an owl, the courage of a eagle and the grace of a hawk,
    May you fly through the heavens and always land clear. — Unknown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2012
    I have not forgotten about the fund raising drive and was not able to give until the end of the Jan.

Sure hope you do not have to go to advertising banners. Thy seam to have a nasty little habit of putting tracker viruses on the PC.

flyer01:salute:

I don't think we have to worry about having banners on the site....before that happens, Ickie would begin selling copies of the video tape he has of Henry dancing on a table top dressed in drag. I, for one, am more than willing to pay to prevent the public release of that video.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    ..... I slept on it.
    When the founding fathers of SOH got together Tek, Canelo_Kid, Douglas, Mopar_Mike and myself, we decided to never have advertising, Many people told us we were never going to make it without doing this.

Well its now 10 years since this was discussed and I decided to keep the trend going even if I have to buy the new server out of my pocket.
    Look What I Have Become!

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    ..... I slept on it.
    When the founding fathers of SOH got together Tek, Canelo_Kid, Douglas, Mopar_Mike and myself, we decided to never have advertising, Many people told us we were never going to make it without doing this.

Well its now 10 years since this was discussed and I decided to keep the trend going even if I have to buy the new server out of my pocket.

I agree...We will get the funds needed .......

You guys have done a great job, way behond what would seem possible, and did it without ads. You have done so well that we now need to upgrade. Surely SOH members will see the need for donations now. Thanks for the many years you guys have worked for us. Guys, a simple thank you is not enough, here's a big kiss for ya! :salute::salute:

Happiness Consultant
    Next payday, I'll post some more funding your way Ickie. Thanks for the upgrade.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I don't think we have to worry about having banners on the site....before that happens, Ickie would begin selling copies of the video tape he has of Henry dancing on a table top dressed in drag. I, for one, am more than willing to pay to prevent the public release of that video.

OBIO
    Horrors!

He to beg his wife for more money to give to SOH.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Hmm.....What would that tape cost? I didn't know Henry could dance.:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post

OBIO
    there's your answer right there! you could sell the tape to the dept of defense! they would pay big bucks for it, and we could win the terror war over night.

Count me in as a supporter:salute:

Jim

Just made my meager contribution. Wife has had two back surgeries, supporting four people on my lowly paycheck. If I can find a little extra cash I think everyone can!

I would hate to see the commercial people have to pay to announce their wares! One of my biggest thrills is logging on everyday to see if something has been released. PLEASE PLEASE don't charge for this!

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries

im in for this , i will donate again wihtin the next 2-3 weeks , i figure some can some cant . but theres enough of us im sure to make it work for your outline .

im really excited about your intentions with site for simmers .the issue of a free zone of advertising is excellent and agree .

i guess how you and your/people ...set forth the donation campaign will be important since the ,extention of such, is POSITIVE and hoping all know why and can understand . im sure

tks

joshua

Members who have read this thread: 0