SOH Upgrades
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOH Upgrades

Blog Entries

SOH Upgrades

Over the past 10 years I have always kept us running, now the time has come to go to the next teer
    Downloads have went from 1 MB to now up to 1 GB and our server is having problems keeping up.

You all have noticed the slowdowns. I have my hands full keeping the site running.

I made us a deal on a new web server which will take us into the future.
    I plan on moving all the uploads/downloads to the new server to free up resources, this will also be a windows server so now we can finally have a game server with FSHost'ing and maybe TeamSpeak. Most big websites have 2 servers running so we will join them. I made a deal on a new web server.

Intel quad core 2.5 GHz
    1 terabyte Hard drive
    4 gigs of ram
    2000 GB bandwidth
    100 MB network (hole to the internet)
    8 IP's 5 usable
    Idrac card
    Windows 2008

This will cost us another $3000 per year We will run the bandwidth drive until March 01, 2010

I see no options to give, as we in the staff forum talked about this all day.
    We could, which I have done already to keep the server loads down is to cut downloads from 100 at a time to just 15 and the number of downloads to 3 per IP
    Cut the sized of downloads to 50 MB.
    I do not like this ideal.
    We could invite advertising, but this is against all we have fought for, and I for 1 hate pop-ups and flashing banners most want to be at the top of the page, than the problem getting paid.

This weekend Canelo and myself are going to install a new version of vBulletin 4.1 which just came out and this will fix all the errors.

Next I will be setting up the new server, moving all the download file
    note the site may be unavailable since this is labor intensive. John C will be assisting.

Next Mopar Mike will be installing the software and working out the bugs for the game server.

I only hope you all approve and dig a little deeper and get the other members to join in and become a charter member, we need your support to carry on into the next decade.

Thank you
    Ickie

UPDATE!! Jan 23, 2010
    P/S ... The new server will be delayed until next month, so I can get us a better deal.

UPDATE #@ Jan 30TH 2010
    Here are my plans, I am buying the server this coming week even thou we still haven't collected all the funds.
    I will get the new windows server up and running and all the files transfered and I will install these forums over there.
    Http://www.sim-outhouse.net/sohforums/index.php

Due to something wrong with this server which I cannot figure out, (nor my friends can figure out either)
    I plan on getting a new Dell server and move all the stuff from this server to the new server.
    I will than install the new forums vbulliten 4.0 on the new server.

My plans will always have us having a set of forums setup and our downloads will always be available.

UPDATE!!! Feb 03, 2010
    Yesterday I bought the windows server and ordered the linux server, both servers are Identical.
    I am awaiting the windows server to go online so we can set it up.
    This will be a new name sim-outhouse.net "SOH Flight Center"
    We are going to run this website with new staff and run it as an independent website.
    The forums we will have setup, well you all will have to re-signup.

The Staff will be:
    Site Administer: Mopar Mike
    Server Admin: Gigabyte
    Flight Admin: Dangerous Dave
    Virtual Paper Pusher: ickie
    Look What I Have Become!

Ickie, thank you very much for keeping SOH up and running! It is very much appreciated, sir.....

The web would be just the web without the Out-house!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Retired SOH Administrator
    Thanks for your dedication to the SOH, Ickie!

Do what is best for the Outhouse....

We are behind you 100%!

Let us all support Ickie for this upgrade....

and make the Outhouse a better, faster site to be!

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2011
    i'll try and throw a bit more into the pot next month, and agreed, the web wouldnt be the same without this place!
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Man that is awesome Ickie!!!

Finally we'll have a SOH multiplayer server. This is the best news I've heard in a very long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    Man that is awesome Ickie!!!

Finally we'll have a SOH multiplayer server. This is the best news I've heard in a very long time!
    You got that right.

Its like Christmas again
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Im pretty excited about the gaming server. Finally a place local to go flying with people online. I really missed that when we lost Netwings server.

Awesome job Ickie!

<--- a pint for hard working Ickie

<--- a pint for the squirrel

<--- another pint for H so he doesnt take it from the little squirrel
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Im pretty excited about the gaming server. Finally a place local to go flying with people online.
    I think I'd pay money to fly with you, Bill!

This is gonna be soooooooooo cool! :ernae:

While the second server will add greatly to the reliability and speed of the SOH/Combatfs family of forums, preserve the current level of the download library and bring us a dedicated SOH FS'host for on line flying....it will not be free...we have to pay for it...meaning...we the members will have to open our wallets and send money to Ickie to pay for it all. I will gladly chip in what I can when I can through out the year to help pay to keep my addiction, I mean...favorite sim site up and running. Now the site needs its members generosity more than ever....we are now looking at about $10 thousand dollars a year to keep this site up and running...and that is just paying for the servers and band width...not counting any needed upgrades or repairs that may be needed down the road.

So, SOH/Combatfs members, it is time that more of us open our wallets and make small personal sacrifices to fund this site. Simply sitting in your chair while downloading free files while letting a few hundred members foot the bill will no longer work. We are calling on those members who have enjoyed the benefit of the forums, of the download library but who have not made donations to join those of us who have supported this site year after year with our contributions. I have never been able to give much, but I have been able to give something these last few years...and I know that my something added with all the other somethings have gotten the job done.

We have close to 17 THOUSAND members on the SOH/Combatfs family of sites. 17 THOUSAND! If each one of you, each one of us, donated a single US Dollar...we would have all the money we need to fund this site and to have a nice reserve for future expansion and repairs. If half of the total membership donated 2 US Dollars, we would still be in the shade.

But having 300 members trying to fund a $10 thousand dollar a year site is simply not feasible or realistic.

I know everyone will be excited about this site now having two servers, more bandwidth, a dedicated online flying site...now how many of you will show that excitement by hitting the Make a Donation button and helping to pay the bills?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply...

Ickie,

As I said earlier, you have my full support, and I'll shake the piggy bank for some loose change as soon as I can. :ernae:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

So true Obio, even if it was Canadian dollars! Well, I sure have no problem sending a little more for this major upgrade. Members, please, help out on this.:ernae:

BladeRun
    Just sent in my donation. i found SOH in late 2006/early 2007. I had just gotten FSX and was looking around the web when I stumbled upon SOH. I had been into flight simming since 94, but this was the first place I felt was a real 'community'. One of the best times I've had flying was with the 2007 SOH Round the World Team, I think we came in 2nd. What a blast!

I stopped flying that spring/summer. Every now and then I would stop by just to see what was going on. I was stoked when SOH won the RTW in 2008 (I think it was 08), wtg guys!

I'm back now and can't wait for the future! :salute: FSX is even better, more planes (Kodiak Quest) and scenery. Good luck Ickie!

Home for tea and tiffin! BeauBrummie's Avatar
    From those of us who need this upgrade I salute Ickie and his team. I shall cerainly splash out some more pounds as it it a most worthy enterprise.

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAUBRUMMIE'S CFS3 WEBSITE
    The Mosquito DBKF DH98 PROJECT
    Check out my YouTube video's
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    We have close to 17 THOUSAND members on the SOH/Combatfs family of sites.
    Wow! I had no idea we had so many visitors. Just goes to show what a well run and well moderated family of forums we have.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Im pretty excited about the gaming server. Finally a place local to go flying with people online. I really missed that when we lost Netwings server.

Awesome job Ickie!

<--- a pint for hard working Ickie

<--- a pint for the squirrel

<--- another pint for H so he doesnt take it from the little squirrel
    Bill, shouldn't that have been 2 for H? The aquirrel is a slow drinker and H might pinch the squirrel's drink anyway .

And Ickie, even though I have already kicked in for this year I will see what I can swing your way next week. That is my pay day.

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

...Will be diggin' deeper in the next day or so. Look for the snail mail letter to appear.....early next week.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Here's an idea.

A large proportion of people who frequent these forums are just pursuing a hobby and to charge for a site like this, no matter what the reason, will always engender a negative result and members will drift away. Human nature..

May I offer a possible solution?

Besides those willing and able to donate something to the running costs, I do not think it unreasonable to charge those payware companies that frequent and use these forums to announce and launch new product. Ordinarily (I include AH in this) we would pay for conventional advertising to promote our wares so why should this be any different?

There's strong following for many brands here and don't tell me that most of us don't use this place for market research or to canvas for the next release.

I hope I speak for most of my contemporaries when I say that we would pay a fee quite happily to have representation and access to the SOH members. It is valuable to us and always has been.

May I suggest a poll (private if you like) amongst payware companies to establish a reaction?

Bazzar
    Aeroplane Heaven Team

Blog Entries
    Bazzar
    run a poll lets see what happens
    Look What I Have Become!

Not sure how to do that?

Tried the polls section, says I don't have privileges?

Anyway, happy for you to do same. I am sure you get a good response.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Not sure how to do that?

Tried the polls section, says I don't have privileges?

Anyway, happy for you to do same. I am sure you get a good response.
    ill check one out tomorrow
    probably better coming from a non
    commercial person
    thanks for the idea
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Blog Entries
    Yes, same thing happen to me. I tried to start the poll. Not enough rights.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Hi Henry,

Happy New Year!

When you going to tell me what those models will cost?:ernae:

B

Here's an idea.

A large proportion of people who frequent these forums are just pursuing a hobby and to charge for a site like this, no matter what the reason, will always engender a negative result and members will drift away. Human nature..

May I offer a possible solution?

Besides those willing and able to donate something to the running costs, I do not think it unreasonable to charge those payware companies that frequent and use these forums to announce and launch new product. Ordinarily (I include AH in this) we would pay for conventional advertising to promote our wares so why should this be any different?
    I really don't think that is a good idea. AVSIM made a "commercial members" group and it has caused a lot of division among members. If that sort of thing were to happen here, it is likely many developers would simply leave.

The last thing we need right now is to set some members apart from others. Division is what kills forums and communities. Why introduce something that has the risk of damaging our tightly-knit community?

The fundraiser practically just started. I know there are others like me who have not yet had the chance to donate but still plan to. Let's give it some more time.

SOH-CM-2024
    Ickie,

You know you will get whatever support I can give. When the check arrives next month, I'll PP another donation, don't mind it a bit. This is truly my hole-in-the-wall, my pub outside that I can go to inside.

Caz

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Henry,

Happy New Year!

When you going to tell me what those models will cost?:ernae:

B
    happy new year
    when i can find a way to ship
    but i am working on it
    H