Vietnam War era scenery and ai traffic

Thread: Vietnam War era scenery and ai traffic

Vietnam War era scenery and ai traffic

Does anyone have any recommendations for some freeware Vietnam War era scenery and AI traffic packages? I read Euroastar's thread on the Hueys that he is doing, that got me in the mood to fly Duane B's D model Huey in Vietnam...but flying a 60s era Huey over modern day Vietnam just didn't feel right. I would love to roll Vietnam back to the correct period, complete with AI traffic....so are there any good freeware packages out there in terms of scenery, mesh, land class, AI traffic. Would love to be flying along in my Slick and see a flight of F-4s or A-7s streaking by.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vietnam

Obio,

I know this is the FS 9 forum, but as you also fly CFS 2, you should try it as the sim to recreate Vietnam.

There is good mesh, landclass and airfield packages for the former French colony.

Xavier's Far East scenery has numerious airfields there and Ian Elliot has Bien Hoa, Cam Rahn Bay and Danang airfields set up for the US Air Force.

Rockster has a good SAM site that you can modify to place anywhere in North Vietnam, and as you know, the are numerous aircraft armed, fueled and ready to fly.

You can also set up Navy carrier battle groups at Dixi Staton and Yankee Station too. Several angle deck carriers are available that are authentic as well as many supporting ships.

With the mission builder you can set up everything from Eagle flights of Hueys to F-105 strikes in Route Package 1.

Heck, you can even put Sweedish ships in Haiphong Harbor!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

I remember a guy over at Com-Central did some scenery. I went over there and checked and there is one file in their FS2004 scenery download section for Vietnam. Name of the file is...

"Phu_Bai_Redux: Phu Bai/Hue, Vietnam '69-'71"© by Doug Kibbey

Wasjust over on Flightsim.com and found a lot of Vietnam era scenery by George Knowles. It is FS2002 scenery, but he states that it works/should work with FS2004. Will have to download some of it and give it a try.

Jag...concerning CFS2 and Vietnam...I never had much success getting CFS2 modded in terms of GSL scenery and all that jazz...kept corrupting things and kept having to uninstall and reinstall. I got to the point of saying Phooey on it and leave CFS2 scenery installs alone and just use it to shoot down planes.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi, Ive got my install set up for cal-classics and i do a lot of military flying Saigon, there's no military ai but the airfields look really good, your given the choice of a 1962 or 66 install with blast pens and military hardstandings.cheers ianFS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 SceneryFS2004 1962 Indochina Scenery
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: indoch62.zip Size: 3,710,754 Date: 04-21-2009 Downloads: 578
    FS2004 1962 Indochina Scenery. This scenery package contains the major airports for Indochina and Burma as they were circa 1962, based upon material and photographs. The following airports are fully detailed: Rangoon, Burma; Mandalay, Burma; Phnom Penh, Cambodia; Saigon, South Vietnam; Da Nang, South Vietnam; Hanoi, North Vietnam; and Vientiane, Laos. Pakse and Savannakhet, Laos, are done in minor detail with backdated AFCADs. In addition, included are added parking and backdated AFCADS for many minor airports in the region, thus adding parking locations for AI, and removing the irritating strobes, taxi lines, and other features that did not normally exist during the 1950s and 1960s. By Mike Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by Trans_23 View Post
    I remember a guy over at Com-Central did some scenery. I went over there and checked and there is one file in their FS2004 scenery download section for Vietnam. Name of the file is...

"Phu_Bai_Redux: Phu Bai/Hue, Vietnam '69-'71"© by Doug Kibbey
    Yes, that is an excellent scenery, but drop your scenery sliders down. Pretty FPS intensive, especially at the main base! Lots and Lots of eye candy, even with the sliders turned down.

~A~

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    Chu Lai Scenery by Al Simms. Gives you the entire district with all fire bases and military instalations in the district. Not on my FS machine at the mo and me old addled brain cannot remmember where I actualy got it from.

Steve

This is the link I had for Al's site,

http://members.aol.com/asimmsjr/index2.html

now closed down

If I remember correctly (50/50 chance) the file is available from one of the main sites, If OBIO cannot find it he can drop me an email addy via pm, and i'll send it over too him.

search 'Albert E Simms Jr' at Avsim, top of the second page, Chu Lai Vietnam circa 1968.

Look for his DUC PHO scenery also. Heres a few screenies I found on my HDD taken around Chu Lai.

try the 'Apocalypse now' and 'Apocalypse redux' sceneries too by Ron Jeffers
    at avsim (or were before the 'hack',probably on other sites too) --->

File Description:
    Apocalypse Now 04 (Redux!) This is an addon to my previous file (Apocalypse now 04) The addon now adds thrice the scenery and effects including- Random napalm strikes- as Col kilgore loves it,enemy flak and flare effects,dirt spray and orange haze, and special night scenes to bring out the effects which includes the (last outpost)at the Do lon bridge which make the nung river trip more erie than ever in which sound files are also added all around and along the way. So take another ride with Capt Willard into the Nam! You must have my previous file- Apocalypse now 04 installed. It can be found here on this site.FSE program is required for full effect,all download info included... By:Ron Jeffers jeff6449@bellsouth.net

File Description
    Apocalypse now scenery addon. (FS 2004 ONLY) based on the 1979 movie Apocalypse now.. This file requires Lago FSE scenery enhancer (Link included if you dont have it) Take a trip back to the 1979 movie with ole Capt.Willard,Col.Kilgore,the Chief,Chef,Clean,Lance and (of course) Col Kurtz in an adventure that takes you right into the invasion of the mouth of the Nung river and then launches you right up the Nung river itself..Includes tons of palm trees,fire effects and moving objects and plenty of horror. Special thanks to Lynn Rogers and Tim Conrad for permission of their aircraft and boats for this file. Dedicated to all our Vietnam vets..Thanks..

loads of Huey's, explosions and more

ttfn

Pete

I remember a freeware scenery of a detailed airbase with static helos in the air, released not too long ago, by a vet. This was only available at his website. Does anyone recall this?

Al Simms' Chu Lai scenery is also available over at http://www.bobholland.com/fs/scenery.htm
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Quote Originally Posted by dogknot View Post
    Al Simms' Chu Lai scenery is also available over at http://www.bobholland.com/fs/scenery.htm

That's the one I was thinking of earlier! Not the Phu Bai....doh!

just had an email conversation with Doug Kibbey and here reccommends that you download his Phu Bai from com-central as he belieives it is newer there than at hovercontrol and it is definitely designed for FS2004. He also suggests Baptiste's SEA scenery mesh and to make sure that you read his read me file. some of his comments
    Actually, Al Simms (mentioned in that thread) did the airport terminal to my specifications and photos...he also did the figure api's and put "my" pic in api format (guy in Tiger Stripes on the Huey skid in front of the terminal).

Al's Chu Lai is also good, and HUGE.
    View of Phu Bai north takes hardest frame hit, if you keep view to south side, it's not so bad if your system is marginal.
    Doug is a great guy and has a couple of other interesting sceneries out. HTH

I've put all those scenerys including the ones for
    FS2002 in and they all work in FS2004. Some of them are just basic facilities, specifically the FS2002 versions, but Al and Doug's are pretty detailed. I was one of Doug's beta testers for the Phu Bai package. Al's bases are covering a preatty large area if you get all of them. There are a lot of helicopter facilities and LZ's if you fly them too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Look for his DUC PHO scenery also. Heres a few screenies I found on my HDD taken around Chu Lai.
    You can get the DUC PHO scenery also at Bob Holland's web site:
    http://www.bobholland.com/fs/vietnam.htm

Freeware mesh for SE Asia that works great with Al Simms' sceneries available at flightsim.com library. Filename: sea1srtm.zip Author: Werner F. Vogt

I remember a freeware scenery of a detailed airbase with static helos in the air, released not too long ago, by a vet. This was only available at his website. Does anyone recall this?
    I don't know about recent, but the veteran Al Simms "Chu Lai" scenery has the static airborne helos.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

It's not Vietnam, but I really like Virtual Flight Air America's Laos Scenery.....lots of airfields and hidden surprises....

It's in French, so you might need a web translator, but it's worth a look.

http://vfaafr.free.fr/

Thanks Brent, Chu Lai is the scenery I was thinking of.

Members who have read this thread: 3