RAW vs. JPEG... - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which format do you shoot in?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • RAW (or sRAW)

22 28.57%
  • JPEG

46 59.74%
  • RAW + JPEG

9 11.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAW vs. JPEG...

Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by Cratermaker View Post

I'm surprised that Nikon doesn't provide a RAW manipulation program with their camera? My Canon came with on that tweaks pretty much all parameters, even come with profiles to correct for barrel or pincushion on those massive range zoom lenses.
    Nikon has Nikon Capture that does all that and a host of other things. since buying it i rarely use photoshop. The problem with jpgs is that quality is lost every time you save the file. you might not notice the loss at first, but if you save half a dozen times, you will.

Best wishes
    steve p

RAW only. So much more control over the image in the processing. Things like exposure and white balance which you simply can't recover from a JPEG.

rsgunner
    I shoot exclusively RAW images.

I feel that RAW lends itself to better post processing of images.

I just need to buy bigger memory cards though. I can go through a handful of 8 GBs in a very short time.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by rsgunner View Post
    I just need to buy bigger memory cards though. I can go through a handful of 8 GBs in a very short time.

Russ
    Long time no see!

What camera body are you using? I get nearly 500 raw files on my 8 GB with a rebel XSi.

rsgunner
    Kiwikat

I am currently using a Nikon D2X.

I have a ton of glass.

Russ

Russ,
    Good seeing you also :ernae:

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

I still use my old SRL camera bought on R&R in Australia 1968

And in the "poll" could we have a "I don't give a rats rear" choice

Skipsan

jpeg - doesn't take up much space and I save the majority of my pics on DVDs/ hard drive backup

I find the simple editing I do with GIMP takes care of my needs.

I'm not profressional so no need to do the hard core pre/post processing
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

RAW!

I deeply, deeply regretted taking pictures in jpeg format 3 years ago when staying for 6 weeks in Malaysia / Borneo. I have a Pentax K10D and was a little skoshi on sd card space back then (can't buy sd cards in the jungle...), but I rather should have taken less pictures or should have sorted them out immediatly other than taking them in the jpeg format.
    I guess it depends on what you expects from your own work. If one expects to do all sorts of corrections afterwards there's no other way than taking RAW pictures. There are huge losses in picture information after the jpeg compression.

Needless to say, I never took images with the camera in jpeg after that again.

Cheers,
    Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0