New Bonanza - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Bonanza

Brett I love your work. Your Saab 340 was good but this is amazing! It's a blast to fly and it just looks so good! My only critique is mirroring the wings and V-tail makes it hard to do certain repaints like some Swiss ones that have the registration on the bottom wing and the flag on the outside of the V-tail. Aside from that nit picking I love it! Amazing work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2011
    That light is a head-scratcher.. I tried making a "shield" (one-sided canopy), but it didn't help. I intended to research it later, but it got lost in the shuffle
    you get that affect if the material doesnt have any spec maps. However if you dont want the hassel of doing spec maps just scroll down in the material properties and tick "no base material spec" (or something similer, cant rember the exact name) and you can then use the old fs9 method of setting shine etc useing the sliders at the top of the material properties
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Hi Brett

The comments by jimjones and Stiz got me to think of a solution that I have applied to some building in our Denmark Scenery project, which had a similar shiny effect. They were the only objects in the scenery made with FSX materials, and the cure for the unwanted shine was to adjust the basic specular shine in the material editor as seen below. The default values are 229, 229, 229, and setting them to 0, 0, 0 will give you a non shiny surface. Maybe this is the easiest solution?

Regards
    Kim

Charter Member 2011
    Heres the method i use with a picture, i prefer it to changeing the spec colour as it doesnt make the model "flat" so to speak, you can also still change the spec colour and still have some shine, just play about and see what works

(click for bigger pic)
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Interesting stuff... :ernae:

I do have a material in there, named "dull". I can't remember the exact recipe, but it was for the tires, and the traction tape on the right wing. My crude modeling style, is to just keep throwing stuff around until something works.. And each model gets a little better.

I've taken up work on the Bae146, and it's hard for this old brain to shift gears.. but this model is popular enough to warrant a "service pack", at some point in the future :mixedsmi:

playing with gimp...but I don't get the whole 'alpha' layer thinger...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

They look good

Without the alpha channel though.. you can see where the chrome (spinner and many smaller parts), end up not looking very "chromy". The glass suffers a bit too..

You can use freeware like DxtBmp to "insert" the alpha channel.. and then save it as an extended bitmap (DXT5).. and then for extra efficiency, change that into the DXT file type with ImageTool..

To get the alpha bitmap.. just make it the only visible layer in the paintkit.. and save it as a regular bitmap (that bitmap is what you import into DxtBmp)..

There are several tutorials out there on repainting..

thank you Brett - I will look into the tutorials and I appreciate the kind assessment

it has been fun both to fly and paint your P35 :ernae:
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Hey, I've been working on another nostalgic paint, but there are a couple of parts I can't seem to find in the paint kit. Could somebody point me in the right direction? See the images below.

Also, I've been working on a new panel. What do you think?
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Looks goood :salute:

Misc.. parts were all mapped in the free area "between" the two empenage sides.. this should get you close..

Thanks! I'll see if I can find them there.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Brett,

Thank you for this wonderful aircraft. She is a joy to fly, and I'm really enjoying it!

NC

Also, I thank you for this great plane. To be able to download aircraft like this for free is a great part of what makes FSX so enjoyable!

Members who have read this thread: 1