Win XP 64-bit: ok for FS9 and FSX?

Thread: Win XP 64-bit: ok for FS9 and FSX?

Win XP 64-bit: ok for FS9 and FSX?

A serious system crash is forcing me to rebuild my rig.* I have ordered a newer, larger drive, and am trying to decide which operating system to install: Windows XP Pro, which is what I am using now, or Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

If I do move to 64, can I still run FS9 and FSX?

* Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard, Q6600, Nvidia 8800GT, 4Gb RAM, X-fi Gamer sound
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    A serious system crash is forcing me to rebuild my rig.* I have ordered a newer, larger drive, and am trying to decide which operating system to install: Windows XP Pro, which is what I am using now, or Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

If I do move to 64, can I still run FS9 and FSX?

* Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard, Q6600, Nvidia 8800GT, 4Gb RAM, X-fi Gamer sound
    Yes there are current drivers for it
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I guess a further question, which should have been part of my first, is: is it worth it?
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Charter Member 2015
    In order to fully utilise your 4GB of memory you'll need a 64bit OS.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

fcfcfc
    Is it simply as case of the more RAM the better when it comes to using 64bit or does framerate plateau off after 4-6 Gb?

XP64 will only help with Ram usage, installtion speeds and (un)zipping performance, not FPS.

I'm testing XP64 on my PC myself (no FSX experience yet though), by the way (after Vista 64 and Server 08 both gave me random BSODs on a-ok hardware), but I messed up my partitions on take one. That's why I'm typing this from my laptop as I move important files on my PC to safety.

I just *****ing hope that XP64 will be the end of my OS journey. I'm sick and tired of constant reinstallations...

fcfcfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    XP64 will only help with Ram usage, installtion speeds and (un)zipping performance, not FPS.
    Thanks Bjoern, but indirectly I presume more RAM available to it would help to speed things up that would eventually result in better FPS would it not (sorry, I am still fairly ignorant)?

More ram will help with load times not fps, fsx is more dependent on the cpu.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

fcfcfc
    I see. Thanks Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by fcfcfc View Post
    Thanks Bjoern, but indirectly I presume more RAM available to it would help to speed things up that would eventually result in better FPS would it not (sorry, I am still fairly ignorant)?
    No, not at all.
    The only way to get better FPS is more quicker video card than a faster CPU and more Ram.

However, a video card alone won't help with smoothness and calculation of other sim elements.

So a well balanced system is more important than a kick-arse video card paired with a weak CPU and little Ram.

P.S: I am somehow in love with XP64...hopefully no BSOD will spoil my honeymoom.

Members who have read this thread: 1