WWI Zepplin Is Landing
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WWI Zepplin Is Landing

WWI Zepplin Is Landing

German WWI L Class Zepplin

L44 CFS2 Zepplin by Gary Aumaugher
    http://www.filefront.com/17709324/L44.zip

Gary Aumaugher has very kindly given us his L44 German Zepplin CFS2 model for uploading and sharing here at SOH. He says it is an alpha condition with some more adjustments he wanted to do, it but has very generously agree to launch it over to us, and it is landing now. I will attach the files as they are currently, he is going to send me the Pantshop Pro texture template files so we can make skins for it, it has a nice gray skin now, according to our first tester, "in overall gray which comes out a nice silver with a little specular shine" Also hopefully if tweaks are needed I am hopeful that the seasoned and experienced hands here can help with that. This was a very generous and kind gesture on Gary's part and gives us a important unit to add to our growing WWI revival for CFS2. I wil upload it here as soon as i get the texture templates.

The read me is included and updated to include Gary's request that we keep all the origina fles together. Those who understand and can pls check over the controls, and panel, I may have an alternate panel if we need one.

Three Cheers for the Kaiser

Zepplin over Kiel Regatta Year unknown.

WWI and Zepplin's
    Naval and Army Use of Zepplin Rigid Airships
    Often used in squadrons of up to 8 units at a time, for reconissance and bombing and harrasement misions, these were the most effective ariel units of the war until the development of fighters caught up with them. Most use was by the Imperial German High Seas fleet though early on the German Army tried to use Zeps (technically, I think the Army's airships were wooden-framed Schutte-Lanz types not Zeppelins) in their intended role of reconnaisance and paid the price, though IIRC AA fire may have been more effective than planes. The Navy used Zeps extensively early war in maritime reconnaisance over the North Sea mainly, until seaplanes and the likes of Camels launched from various seaborne means became a threat. Several airships were lost to these means; the 2F1 ship's Camel was often seen in the markings of a Zeppelin-killer, Cully IIRC.

The most famous clashes between Zeps and planes were during the (mostly night-time) airship raids on England. Leefe-Robinson, shot down in a new Bristol Fighter F2A by Jasta 11's Festner in April 1917, got his VC for shooting down SL11 in a Morane Parasol. Combat Aces, the CFS2 WW1 add-on, has some anti-Zep night missions in an Avro 504C, which are quite fun, in a dark, slow-motion kind of way, with decent effects and a suitable RFC plane or two.

There are several good books on the subject but I particularly recommend "The Friendless Sky" by the great writer Alexander McKee. Has a very readable chapter on zeppelin operations, long out-of-print but may be available cheap on e-bay. No illustrations but a more readable and enjoyable account of WW1 in the air from about every viewpoint would be very hard to find.

Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

OldWheat was kind enough to test the new Zepplin for us and discoverd that the texture in the texture folder is not what shows up on the the craft...

, it is actually finished in overall gray which comes out a nice silver with a little specular shine. I don't know what ...that 'fuselage 1' .bmp is mapped to. I suspect it is linked to nothing & is in the texture folder by mistake. Looks like an aircraft to me. It flies quite realistically & shoots down nicely but not too easily. Perhaps the .dp could be tweaked for more smoke & flame.
    sounds promising.... Gary has said to me that he had wanted to do more work in it but perhaps that was tweaking as he tries to get things as totaly historically accurate as possible.

from Gary:
    Chris,
    No problem on the L 44. I will get you the PSP files to work from. I haven't touched the Aerocrate files in a long time. I am still design aircraft but now I have to go to the field to fly them. I have been become totally immersed in radio control again after a 15 year layoff. The first thing I started with was an SE5a. I quickly moved on the higher performance and now pattern ships but biplanes still tug at my heart.
    Anyway, the L 44 was never finished. The flight model has some real problems and it has nowhere near the detail I intended but just ran out of time to devote to it. All I ask to to credit and keep the files together.

here are pics courtesy of OldWheat

and the panel has working guagues...

Maybe we can get one of our scenery wizards to enarge one of the stock or community made hangers into a Zepplin Shed
    Admin

FlyTexas
    Very nice! :ernae:

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    OldWheat was kind enough to test the new Zepplin for us and discoverd that the texture in the texture folder is not what shows up on the the craft..

I had noticed that before I sent it to you but opted not to remove that file. The L44 folder I have is over 20MB in size and contains extra model files and a PSP file named ZepPanel that was in the panel folder. I extracted all that extra stuff before I sent the zip to you. If either you or Oldwheat want those extra files (of if Gary doesn't provide them) let me know and I'll forward them to you.

Cody I would love to get all the files thanks. Gary said he was busy and it might take some time to get me the files. I would love to see it all.

i will pm you various options for sharing
    Admin

Just obtained the complete FULL set of files for the Zepplin contains additonal textures and model files.
    Full CFS2 German Zepplin L44 Model Set
    http://www.filefront.com/14825217/L44---Full.zip/
    Admin

R C CAWTE
    Just D/Ld her.Ive been looking for one of these for ages.:ernae:

Cheers RC, yep this is the only one I know of we have currently. And Gary just sent me the texture files which I will attach here, which will allow us to make new skins. Happy Launching!
    Admin

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    New skins will most likely be 'shades of gray' with different numbers. Anybody have any possible schemes? Also, where & how did the zeppelins stow their bombs?

Note Iron Cross on underside, format for Number and the gondola design. This was in one of the Zepplin sheds. Photo also gives some detail for them.

an actual Zepplin Fleet attacking England taken fromm another Zepplin. Evidently fleets of up to 12 Zepplins attacked at times, one fleet had 8 naval Zepplins and 4 Army Zepplins. There were two major manufacturers and three differnt types that evolved.

At the beginning of the war, the Zeppelin airships had a framework composed of triangular lattice girders, covered with fabric and containing separate gas cells. Multi-plane, later cruciform, tail fins were used for control and stability, and two engine/crew cars hung beneath the hull driving propellers attached to the sides of the frame by means of long drive shafts. Additionally there was a passenger compartment (later a bomb bay) located halfway between the two cars.

Not all the "Zeppelins" were in fact Zeppelins some (including Leef Robinson's victim) were Schutz Lange which differed from the Zeps in the hull design (continuous curves) and construction (mainly wood). Some Parsival rigid airships were also used in mainland Europe. The range of true Zeppelin types also varied as the war went on with new height climbers and 'super zeppelins'. As a result the bomb load and types of bomb varied considerably but in general released from bomb racks from within the hull.

Zepplin Library
    http://www.ciderpresspottery.com/ZLA.html

Great article here...

http://www.firstworldwar.com/airwar/..._zeppelins.htm

and here:

http://www.richthofen.com/dark_autumn/

Castle, H.G. Fire Over England. Secker & Warburg, 1982
    Manchester Guardian History of the War. John Heywood LTD. 1916
    Robinson, Douglas. The Zeppelin in Combat. Schiffer Military History, 1994
    Scheer, Reinhard. Germany's High Sea Fleet in the World War. Cassel & Co. LTD. 1920
    Zeppelin! by Ray Rimmell, ISBN 0 85177 239 0;
    The Zeppelin in Combat by Dr Douglas Robinson, ISBN 0 85429 130 X; and
    The Air Defence of Britain 1914-1918 by Christopher Cole and Frank Cheesman, ISBN 0 370 30538 8.
    Admin

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Ask And Ye...

Man - give me a quiet night and a fast internet connection....

I Found a TON of "New To Me" WW1 dirigible images - included below is a small list of the better resource pages, and a few teaser photos...

OW, PM me with your email addy - I have an early Holiday Package for you...

=======================================
    http://www.airshipmodeler.com/ [Membership needed to view images]

http://www.rodenplant.com/HTML/framemodels.htm

http://spot.colorado.edu/~dziadeck/airship/gifts.htm

http://www.airship-model.com/Luftschiffe.html

http://p.webring.com/hub?ring=zeppring

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfzepp.htm

http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/aviation.htm

http://www.usd116.org/ProfDev/AHTC/images/WWI/WWI.html

http://www.earlyaeroplanes.com/archive3.htm

======================================

http://www.historynet.com/zeppelin-w...-leviathan.htm

"...Graf Zeppelin was not only an airship but also a work of art. Aesthetics
    and aerodynamics seemed to meet in its graceful form. Its cotton skin
    was protected by no fewer than six layers of paint and dope. The paint
    was silver, the better to reflect the sun’s rays and thus reduce the heat
    inflation of the hydrogen. As an added touch, the painted surface was
    sandpapered smooth, leaving a’sculptured’ sheen that offered little wind resistance..."

======================================

Enjoy !
    SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

fantastic work SC

here are some really helpful shots:

L30

L 30 after the addition of machine gun implacement on topside.

L95 in dark paint

L 63 showing white outlines cross
    and a fantastic picture of a base....can anyone make one of these for us ???

If we had one generic base we could make a bunch of them for the diffeerent locations...esp if the sheds were GSL and destructable.
    Admin

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I notice that a couple of 'hydrogen fire' effects are called for in the .DP. Does anyone happen to have them?

Library Staff
    Here they are:

This is truely a very interesting post. Thank you Guys!

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Kdriver! Off to check 'em out.

P.S. I'm going to see what I can do with zep hangers this weekend. I'm not really sure how the 'destroyable' thingy works but assume it is an LOD linked to a trigger which brings up the question: will 'destroyed' & distance LODs work in the same .mdl?

thanks a million for the sheds, i am a noob at making things in here, hope to learn but am running to catch up at work.... sheds would give us good centerpieces for missions, and the allies did raid and destroy a number of them and the Zeps inside. There were over 125 Zepplins in service thru the war, there must be some sheds left standing i imagine just as there are still some of the huge hangars here in the US at Moffit Field and other places.

I am not sure if we will be able to fly the Zeps in and out of hangars but at least maybe we can make a static model of one to put in them.
    Admin

This is all very welcome. I just took the Zep for a flight and it looks great. The only addition I would make is to the ordnance. I have seen a photo of large bombs next to a Zeppelin hangar. Some of the bombs were well over twice the size of the men standing beside them. It seems to me most likely that this ordnance would have been stored vertically, probably in cells. I seem to recall having something like this for one of the large 4 engined WW1 bombers.
    CrisGer, you would be able to place the Zep in a large hangar using the MB to place the "aircraft" as a static object.

Can you imagine flying trans Atlantic in one of those monsters??? Anybody got an arctic sleeping bag?
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Parlez Vous ?

I don't remember much French, but here's an image of the combination Crew Quarters / Bomb Bay (!!!)

SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

FlyTexas
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Can you imagine flying trans Atlantic in one of those monsters???
    Can you imagine trying to sleep in the bomb bay of one of these hydrogen-filled beasts?? These guys were nuts!

Brian

Life on the Zepplins got a lot less comfortable and a lot more nervous after they began to be shot down on the raids over London, moral reportedly plummeted after one of the largest of the main fleet Zepplins was shot down over London and fell on fire from many thousands of ft. There were no survivors. I wonder why they did not have parachutesx.
    Admin

I just found a Zep base from the late Aer. The file is called zep.zip. never tried to install it, but in case you want it, just give me your mail again.
    Finn

Yes that is a good one, it has a base near the front line and that is the one shed we have so far. I believe they have that at simaviation or flightsim, not sure which.
    Admin

R C CAWTE
    Anyone else having problems with the Zep in MB? It tends to just spin out of control and crash for me:isadizzy:.

Im using it as AI for target practice,but she starts to wobble and lose height as I enter the combat area and crashes before i get to shoot at her.

(I guess it saves on bullets)My Sopwith Pup is getting lonely up here!!!