Bump..Bump..Bump and More Bumps

Thread: Bump..Bump..Bump and More Bumps

Master of Disaster

Bump..Bump..Bump and More Bumps

I feel like I'm going to get whiplash flying FSX! My frame rate goes back and forth between 19 and 45 (set at 45). I getting tired of it to say the least. Question is what causes it so I can fix it.

Also I'm ready to OC my Q9450. Can someone point out a good guide that can walk me throught the process? Thanks!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

harleyman
    Hi MM...

Its more than likely your equipment, and maybe stuff running in the back ground....

Can you post all your specs..Including Ram speed

If your E Mail address is showing here I will send you some guides for OCing

Send me an E mail and I will shoot you the guides.

computer.care1@yahoo.com

Overclocking your CPU may give you a good performance boost. When I was running my E6850 at the stock 3.0 GHz I could barely manage 24 fps and 20 was a far safer bet, but at 3.6 I can pretty easily hold 28 fps except in places like New York City or Los Angeles where there is so much terrain scenery. There seems to be quite a bit of debate as to what it takes to run FSX with all the scenery and effects set to their highest and still maintain acceptable frame rates.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

harleyman
    I have yet to see a system that will run FSX with all its settings at their highest.....

If there is one...I will have to be proved wrong as I build systems for FSX all the time and have not been able to produce one yet ...LOL

Master of Disaster
    System specs:

CPU Intel Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
    RAM 2 sticks Total 4.00 GB Corsiar DDR3
    MOB EVGA 790i Ultra
    Artoc Cooling Freezer 7 pro Fan
    Power supply PC Power and Cooling 750 Quad
    Zotac Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT Video Card

My email address should be listed?

I would swap out the Freezer 7 if the Q9450 gets overclocked. While being an extremely good cooler for overclocked dual cores, the Freezer operates at the top end of its capabilities when mounted on an overclocked quad core.

As a replacement, I suggest a Xigmatek S1283. I have it and my overclocked Q9450 remains very cool.

I second the motion to switch to a Xigmatek S1283. I'm using one on my dual core E6850 and the fan is still running in low, holding max temp to 63C in the summer. That's only 12C above the max temp with the CPU running at stock speeds.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

harleyman
    Hmmmmmm..

Ok I totally disagree on the Freezer Pro.....

Its one of the best out IMO..

Plus they just came out with Rev 2 for it...

Here are the specs on a Q9650 with one running Prime 95 for hours.

You tell me how well its doing?

Its OCed to 3.6

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    System specs:

CPU Intel Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
    RAM 2 sticks Total 4.00 GB Corsiar DDR3
    MOB EVGA 790i Ultra
    Artoc Cooling Freezer 7 pro Fan
    Power supply PC Power and Cooling 750 Quad
    Zotac Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT Video Card

My email address should be listed?

OC that chip to at least 3.4
    What speed Ram?
    8800GT is a tad weak....

Your handicaps are CPU clocks
    Possibly Ram(depends at what speed its running)
    Better Graphics card if after OCing , and ram running at least 1066 and still having problems

Thats just my opinion too!

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Hmmmmmm..

Here are the specs on a Q9650 with one running Prime 95 for hours.

You tell me how well its doing?

Its OCed to 3.6
    It sounds like the PC you just built for me Mason . Q9650 OC's to 3.6 . Gigabyte MB with 1600 FSB , 4 Gigs DDR3 memory . The Artic Freezer Pro 7 (Ver 2) runs in low to mid 30's(Temp) and after an hour of heavy FSX use in the mid to high 40's . Vid card is a 1 gig Radeon HD 4890 . I havn't run a ATI card for years but I'm sold on this one . I have FSP locked at 35 and it runs smooth as silk without stutters or vidio artifacts . Color is clear and vivid . I have GEX , UTX , FS Genesis Mesh & Land Class . Even MyTraffic cranked to 80 to 90% it still runs smooth , which is the "name of the game " with FSX . I rarely get into large urban airports(LA , Chicago , NYC , London etc) IMO there isn't a PC built yet that will ever enable anyone to max out the sliders(AS my FS9 setup is) . It just doesn't exist . I'm NOT a PC expert for sure but OC'ing along with a decent video card is MORE than enough for FSX .

Rich:ernae:

harleyman
    Hey Rich..

That well may be your specs I posted.....LOL

I have a pile of them collecting dust around here....:ernae:

I have my Q9450 OC to 3560 w 8x mult 445 bus speed and 1066 memory running at 1066. Artic freezer 7 pro and 1.35 volts. I have OC the processor to 3.8 with 1.45 volts but when running prime it was getting close to throttling temp and never really noticed a difference with FSX. 3.4 - 3.6 seems to be a sweet spot for OC my processor. DO NO USE more than 1.45 volts on air, if you do you are asking for trouble and generating more heat than added performance anyway. 1.35 -1.4 volts should give you a stable OC at 3.6.

If you don't want to and much heat or volts, I found I could OC to 3.0 with default voltage and 3.2 with only 1.25 volts. Around 3.4 ghz is where the processor starts really sucking the voltage to get added performance. I leave all the thermal and energy features enabled on my processor because it helps save wear and tear on the processor along with electricity and heat generation. There should be no need to disable any of these for an OC of 3.6 or less.

I just upgraded from my 8800gt video card and it really didn't get me much in FSX. I now run a 3890. With my 8800gt I would set my FPS lock to 16 and with my 3890 I set it to 20. I do run with my 3890's quality all maxed out for picture Quality in its software so FSX looks nicer and I also now max out Everything in the Scenery Tab in FSX and also enable light bloom which I couldn't do with my 8800gt. My system still will only get 13 fps around busy airport under certain conditions and I use quite a few CFG tweaks. Here are some of my CFG Tweaks for my card and all of them should be fine with your card except
    FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 and Poolsize=200000000. I would set it to .33 and 60000000 with your video card. Set Texture Bandwith Mult to 2 to 4 times what ever your upper frame limit is as a general rule. The lower your upper frame limit is and the faster the video card you have increase the amount you can increase this. It simply regulates how much extra texture data is sent to the video card for it to crunch with the extra processing power left over because you have limited the max number of FPS it has to maintain with the Upper frame limit slider in FSX. ie if the Texture Bandwidth Mult is 2 times the upper frame limit then twice the texture data is sent to video card so it can work on textures ahead of time with its extra processing power. It is important to use the Fiber frame time fraction tweak because it sets the % of time the GPU will spend drawing Frames vs Creating them. My new video card can draw frames real quick vs my 8800gt thus why I can set it to .15 vs the .33 my 8800gt was set at. This means that my new video card spends 85% of its time working on data vs the 8800gt spending 67% of its time working on data. This makes a big difference in how well your video card's processing power is utilized.

I hope some of this may help.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
    TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80
    Poolsize=200000000
    UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20
    TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1400
    TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700
    LOD_RADIUS=7.500000

harleyman
    Very nice layout Major_Spittle...

Thanks for all your knowledge.....:ernae:

Master of Disaster
    OC that chip to at least 3.4
    What speed Ram?
    8800GT is a tad weak....

Your handicaps are CPU clocks
    Possibly Ram(depends at what speed its running)
    Better Graphics card if after OCing , and ram running at least 1066 and still having problems

Thats just my opinion too!
    If my 8800GT is weak what do you recommend? And what is the Rev 2 in reference to with my Freezer Pro 7? Thanks

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Major_Spittle View Post
    I have my Q9450 OC to 3560 w 8x mult 445 bus speed and 1066 memory running at 1066. Artic freezer 7 pro and 1.35 volts. I have OC the processor to 3.8 with 1.45 volts but when running prime it was getting close to throttling temp and never really noticed a difference with FSX. 3.4 - 3.6 seems to be a sweet spot for OC my processor. DO NO USE more than 1.45 volts on air, if you do you are asking for trouble and generating more heat than added performance anyway. 1.35 -1.4 volts should give you a stable OC at 3.6.

If you don't want to and much heat or volts, I found I could OC to 3.0 with default voltage and 3.2 with only 1.25 volts. Around 3.4 ghz is where the processor starts really sucking the voltage to get added performance. I leave all the thermal and energy features enabled on my processor because it helps save wear and tear on the processor along with electricity and heat generation. There should be no need to disable any of these for an OC of 3.6 or less.

I just upgraded from my 8800gt video card and it really didn't get me much in FSX. I now run a 3890. With my 8800gt I would set my FPS lock to 16 and with my 3890 I set it to 20. I do run with my 3890's quality all maxed out for picture Quality in its software so FSX looks nicer and I also now max out Everything in the Scenery Tab in FSX and also enable light bloom which I couldn't do with my 8800gt. My system still will only get 13 fps around busy airport under certain conditions and I use quite a few CFG tweaks. Here are some of my CFG Tweaks for my card and all of them should be fine with your card except
    FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 and Poolsize=200000000. I would set it to .33 and 60000000 with your video card. Set Texture Bandwith Mult to 2 to 4 times what ever your upper frame limit is as a general rule. The lower your upper frame limit is and the faster the video card you have increase the amount you can increase this. It simply regulates how much extra texture data is sent to the video card for it to crunch with the extra processing power left over because you have limited the max number of FPS it has to maintain with the Upper frame limit slider in FSX. ie if the Texture Bandwidth Mult is 2 times the upper frame limit then twice the texture data is sent to video card so it can work on textures ahead of time with its extra processing power. It is important to use the Fiber frame time fraction tweak because it sets the % of time the GPU will spend drawing Frames vs Creating them. My new video card can draw frames real quick vs my 8800gt thus why I can set it to .15 vs the .33 my 8800gt was set at. This means that my new video card spends 85% of its time working on data vs the 8800gt spending 67% of its time working on data. This makes a big difference in how well your video card's processing power is utilized.

I hope some of this may help.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
    TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80
    Poolsize=200000000
    UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20
    TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1400
    TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700
    LOD_RADIUS=7.500000
    Thanks Major those cfg settings helped settle thing down a lot!

harleyman
    If my 8800GT is weak what do you recommend? And what is the Rev 2 in reference to with my Freezer Pro 7? Thanks

Personally I love the 4870 and 4890 cards...

The revision 2 means nothing...just a newer model , with a slightly different looking attachment for the mobo..

You are fine with that heatsink...

If there really is an improved rev.2: Point Taken.

If my 8800GT is weak what do you recommend?
    Geforce GTX275. Almost as fast as a 285, but cheaper.

harleyman
    YUP...

That 275 is awsome ! But I perfer ATO colors over Nvidia personally..

Not a fanboy...just for my eyes ...

The new Rev2 I think is the same cooler with a different approach to mount it as far as I can see....

My Freezer Pro works great for cooling my Q9450 and I have tried 3 diff. types of HS and fans. That being said I am sure there are better coolers out there, but the Freezer Pro is completely capable of OC any Q9450 to 3.6 and if you already have one don't throw away money changing it. If it isn't cooling the processor something is wrong with its installation, fan, fan settings, cpu settings, cpu, temp software, case cooling, or you have a defective heat sink. I have a few builds with this Heat Sink and it has always worked great and most people on OC forums tend to use it for these processors along with my friends at Intel on their builds.

I had a GTX265 OC edition before my ATI 4890. I like my 4890 much more.

Just my 2 cents