Saunders Roe SR-45 Princess Uploaded - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saunders Roe SR-45 Princess Uploaded

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    This looks awesome but can someone please tell me how you can start a free flight on water in FSX?

Thanks

DaveQ
    Thanks to all - will look for MoCats scenery and give that a go. Meanwhile slew works for me!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Engine gauges not working..?

Quote Originally Posted by PutPut View Post
    I uploaded the "Princess" to Simviation and flightsim earlier today. It should show at these sites tomorrow. The SR-45 first flew in 1952 and was one of the largest flying boats ever made. It was powered with 10 Proteus turbine engines geared to combinations of single and double contra rotating propellers. I included a custom XML gauge by Warwick Carter that turns the turbine exhaust on and off at 80% throttle. It has the default factory livery and the proposed BOAC paint job. It has .dds textures and a specular shine. The VC has animated flight controls and working flight gauges. I did NOT model all the gauges for 10 engines ganged to the 4 the simulator allows, so the flight engineer station is a picture. It has reverse thrust which is recommended on landing as this boat has a lot of momentum and will float forever.

Cheers, Paul
    I have tried using replacement turoprop and older prop engine gauges for replacement on the 2D panel but am having limited success.
    I don't see that the default engine gauges work, is there something I'm doing wrong..?

Replacement air file..?

Any recommendations to replace the air file for this monster..? (looking for the engine gauges to work) (I know little about editing the air file)

The reason engine gauges are not working is that they used piston engine instead of turbo prop. I configured the panel to use turbo gauges. Overwrite original panel.cfg with this one. You can leave cab file in the panel folder or copy it to gauge folder. Your preference. Robert
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by mcanx View Post
    The reason engine gauges are not working is that they used piston engine instead of turbo prop. I configured the panel to use turbo gauges. Overwrite original panel.cfg with this one. You can leave cab file in the panel folder or copy it to gauge folder. Your preference. Robert

Thank you..! Nice gauges, good looking panel.

SR-45 Princess Resources

I'm looking for detailed pictures of the cockpit and flight engineers station for the SR-45.
    I've combed thru Google and seen the out of focus cockpit shots. I have the Saunders Roe PR info
    while having nice pictures of her being built and flown, nothing that clearly shows the pilots panel.
    If you know of any pictures or books it would be information greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    I'm looking for detailed pictures of the cockpit and flight engineers station for the SR-45.
    I've combed thru Google and seen the out of focus cockpit shots. I have the Saunders Roe PR info
    while having nice pictures of her being built and flown, nothing that clearly shows the pilots panel.
    If you know of any pictures or books it would be information greatly appreciated.
    I did a bunch of research for Paul when he was building the model and yes, it is hard to find good info with the normal searches. Here are links to the best of what we had:

Smiths' Instruments advertisement from 1952
    1952 | 2934 | Flight Archive

Cut-away drawings of the Princess. Note that the FE station is labeled as "Flight Engineers" (plural) and shows two seats. Six crew- 2 pilots, Nav, RO, 2 FE
    1952 | 2837 | Flight Archive
    1952 | 2843 | Flight Archive
    1952 | 2844 | Flight Archive

On this page you will find the best (some not great) pictures of many details including the various panels and systems. Scroll through and click on the thumbnails for larger images.
    http://www.seawings.co.uk/saroprinwalk.htm

Edit - forgot one - Popular Science overview including one view of a mock-up of the cockpit
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=nik...iven%22&f=true

There are a bunch of flight items that need some help (and further research)... drag/thrust, flaps, probably tuning of contact/scrape points, but in other ways it's a fun model that flies as ponderously as you'd expect for such a monster.

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    I did a bunch of research for Paul when he was building the model and yes, it is hard to find good info with the normal searches. Here are links to the best of what we had:

Smiths' Instruments advertisement from 1952
    1952 | 2934 | Flight Archive

Cut-away drawings of the Princess. Note that the FE station is labeled as "Flight Engineers" (plural) and shows two seats. Six crew- 2 pilots, Nav, RO, 2 FE
    1952 | 2837 | Flight Archive
    1952 | 2843 | Flight Archive
    1952 | 2844 | Flight Archive

On this page you will find the best (some not great) pictures of many details including the various panels and systems. Scroll through and click on the thumbnails for larger images.
    http://www.seawings.co.uk/saroprinwalk.htm

Edit - forgot one - Popular Science overview including one view of a mock-up of the cockpit
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=nik...iven%22&f=true

There are a bunch of flight items that need some help (and further research)... drag/thrust, flaps, probably tuning of contact/scrape points, but in other ways it's a fun model that flies as ponderously as you'd expect for such a monster.

Rob

Hi Rob,
    What an incredible wealth of information...! The instrumentation pics are all that I could hope for. The pictures portray an historical look an aeronautical engineering for that time period
    that is priceless. Please accept my thanks for sharing these resources.

Regards,
    Tony

Available in the Avsim Library now!

Search for the following file:

saunders_roe_princess_boac_v2.0.zip

A redo of the default BOAC paint scheme in a slightly higher texture resolution. The graphics around the nose had some texture mapping limitations so I could not recreate the historically correct graphics to my satisfaction. Still I think it's a nice addition to this aircraft.

Tommy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

If you want a beefier sound set, search the internet for the following file:

Tu-95_Sound.zip

It's for the Russian Bear bomber, but I tend to use it for most of my "heavy" multi-engine turbo props.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Nicely done on the repaint, thanks..!

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Nicely done on the repaint, thanks..!
    Thanks for the kind words. Maybe sometime later on down the road (this year) I'll find some time to do a update of the all metal version too.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

saunders_roe_princess_boac_v2.0_white.zip

Similar to the previously released repaint noted above, but with white color accents.

Tommy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SR45_974.jpg   SR45_975.jpg  
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post

saunders_roe_princess_boac_v2.0_white.zip

Similar to the previously released repaint noted above, but with white color accents.

Tommy

Nice work..!