Auto Start?

Thread: Auto Start?

Auto Start?

Is there a simple modification that can be made to either aircraft.cfg or .air files so we can avoid the complicated start sequence that some developers have put on their aircraft? While I applaud these developers for their realism, I want to get in and fly an airplane.

How many switches and in which aircraft?

I like the cold starts in FSX but in the hand full of planes I have acquired, there are at most only a few switches and levers to throw to get things going so...

I think the PBY is the most involved plane in my hangar WRT cold starts.

but for the most part its fuel on, mags on, mixture full rich, fuel pump, flick the starter and we're off...still need to set flaps, elevator trim and cowl flaps if we got 'em - but thats not much more than 'Ctrl+E' ..is it?

maybe a quick unofficial poll is needed?

how many FSXers usually use Ctrl+E ?

how many usually cold start - or practically cold start?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I rarely fly the Cera 412 because I don't feel like spending all that time starting it. Between class, afternoon naps, and work...I'd rather just hop in and fly every once in a while.

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by djscoo View Post
    I rarely fly the Cera 412 because I don't feel like spending all that time starting it. Between class, afternoon naps, and work...I'd rather just hop in and fly every once in a while.
    yep, same here!

harleyman
    Cntl E for me.....

I do set start and shut down as keys on my stick.....

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I feel the same way. Taking 20 min's to start a plane when I only have 30 min's for a flight can really cut it short... However, I might get airborn before I have to quit, lol..

:d
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Generally speaking I start my flights cold & dark. Most aircraft I can have running in just a couple of mins. Only exception being the PMDG MD11. WONDERFUL Sim but even though I am proficient at it still takes me 15-20mins to start & set the FMC.

I do occasionally use the ctrl+e too though.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

well the Ctrl+E fliers are off to a rapid start...get it???

is it true then?? most people like the option of having cold and dark for when they feel like it - but would rather just get in the air with the quick start?

if thats the case - why not just have air starts and forget about the time consuming takeoff roll??? hahah
    enter..the Sandman

About 95% of the time, I run the procedure. Part of flying is managing the systems. If I want a quick and dirty jump in and go, I'll fly an aircraft that fits the scenario. If I use Ctrl-E its because an aircraft has systems that aren't modeled in detail. One example is an aircraft that requires a manual prop start.

Glenn

it all makes perfect sense - time constraints, or the use of models that either don't have adequate cold start capability ...or too much fidelity?

Doesn't Ctrl+E always work - even with all 3rd party planes???
    enter..the Sandman

I use ctrl e about 95% of the time ..simply dont have enough time to run through systems. Home life is too busy with three young kids...and I need to sleep sometimes

Ctrl-E may not work in complex addons, and there's no simple cure for that. However, many developers include a way to quick start the airplane even if it's too complex for standard Ctrl-E to work.

For example you can quickstart A2A Accusimed airplanes with Ctrl-E but only because custom routines are coded for this shortcut. Or it's possible to click autostart option in 2D panels too. In Aerosoft's F-16 and Catalina there are special buttons on 2D panels. In Iris F-16 there's a hidden switch in 3D cockpit. Aircraft from Level-D and PMDG can save the complete panel state separately from flight and you can load it on demand later.
    Mike

I'd also auto start
    To many time is lost in clic clic to someone who has little time

There are plenty of ways to go flying quickly.

Start up once and with the aircraft ready to go, save your flight.
    Next time you load up your flight, she'll already be purring on the threshold ready to go.

Another way: Start with a cold dark cockpit, hit Slew and using "Q" key, go up to height you want. Unslew and the aircraft will start flying with the engine started automatically. Tuck up the gear, throttle up and off you go.

Saving a flight with all the pre-start checks and processes done will also shorten up the pre-flight time if you want to play by the book.

You should be able to save a flight with the default c172, engines running and all. Then save it as default flight. Then open your payware plane and everything should be on.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

For my opinion there will be only one way - all Planes and Choppers should have running engines and systems when start FS. If someone like to spend his time for "simulate" a complete check and start-up procedere, he can save a "cold and dark" flight. I cant understand why some developers make such a "hickhack" with their otherwise fine Products. If you have the ND Bo105 or EC-135 or the MD500 - all have running engines and system, also the UH-1, why to hell they make a step back with the Puma.
    I think sometimes it will be forgotten that it is a hobby - not a "second life" - i never fly SuperPumas in "Reality" so i don`t need to know the exactly Start-Up
    Procedere.

Please Developers - give us back the "Fun-Factor" of the Sim

Dirk

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Different strokes for different folks
    personally im a jump in and fly guy most of the time
    but every now and again i like cold starts
    I believe that the devs are doing it right.
    My biggest problem is not starting using ctrl e
    but once you are in the air engine splutters and dies
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    My biggest problem is not starting using ctrl e
    but once you are in the air engine splutters and dies
    H
    I agree with you there. Sometimes I forget a fuel pump, or power switch and the n1/n2 spools up but no ignition. :isadizzy: Then I have to go back and find out what I missed.

It would be nice on some planes to have a pop-up checklist (I know the AS Cat has one) for the start-up procedure.

-G-

Ctrl+E for me
    Greg :USA-flag:

And that's why they call them "Personal computers". Whatever flies your plane . If you haven't noticed it, there about about six ways to do almost everything in Windows - all are valid.

Glenn