My Big Question...! - Page 3

View Poll Results: How often do you fly in multiplayer, either FSHost, Gamespy, VATSIM, IVAO, etc. ?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Often

40 18.10%
  • Rarely

35 15.84%
  • Never/Not often enough to mention

146 66.06%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Big Question...!

Part 3, on a roll here, lol
    Setting up FSHost Client is very easy, you download the Client software, install it, adding an icon to the desktop or taskbar and then click it to open. The menu is pretty self explanatory, you just enter your call sign, the IP of the server you want to connect to, click search and when the server name comes up click on it and click "join". You're in and that will automatically bring up the chat window as well.

One area that can be a real pain here is if you are running a router. All the ports required by FSX and FSHost to run must be forwarded. If not, then either you'll be kicked off or you'll cause someone else to get kicked. Most admins on a server keep track of this and can usually tell who it is that didn't forward the correct ports, but not always, so look at the brand of router you have and check online to get into your routers setup and forward all the necessary ports. Chances are, if you've never flown MP or it has been a long time since you have and you are using a router this port forwarding will have to be done.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    I see a few people here who don't know HOW, both from a technical perspective and from a flying perspective.

We provided 'MP & Flying' lessons via the Emma Field Flying Club a few years ago and successfully got quite a few people to master both setting up multiplayer AND flying FS aircraft.

Key was to have a patient instructor, do it one-one-one or one-on-two (to get rid of the 'shy' thing) and to NOT make anything too formal.
    Quite a few of the people who learned back then are the ones STILL flying MP today !

It was fun and rewarding to get people into this new aspect (to them) of simming and I wish I stil had the time to do it. But it DOES take time, especially with less computer-literate candidates...

That sounds great! I do want to fly just for fun but would definately like to learn from more knowledgable people. I tried teaching myself navigation but didn't get anywhere.

@Kiwikat, PM comming soon (few minutes).

edit-typo

Part 4,
    Team Speak as mentioned above IS NOT REQUIRED. The obvious advantage however is that you can simply talk while flying (very natural) and enjoy what's going on around you. The only disadvantage might be in getting your headset/mic or desktop mic setup correctly. TS can be a bit quirky in that respect.
    Installation is no problem, very similar to FSHost Client. You simply install the program, add an icon on the desktop or taskbar and click to open. The easiest way to initially get into team speak is to use the "quick connect" option. You input your call sign, the IP address you want to connect to (many times it's the same one being used for the MP session itself), click join and you're in. Once in though be aware that you may have entered the "dead zone", lol. You can hear everyone else, but they can't hear you. It's quite common and usually, if at least you can hear them, you can get the setup tuned in correctly and you're good to go. It can take some time though, so be aware that this is one area that may take a bit of tweaking before it's setup correctly. In the long run though, way better than having to type the whole time you're flying.

Current System Specs:

I voted rarely, seeing as half the time I simply can't be bothered with anything more than a quick 20 minute flight on my own. But, I've got nothing against using multiplayer, and in fact some of the best sessions I've had in FS have been on multiplayer. I'd support the MP group if it got going.

FSHost would be good if it was as smooth as Gamespy. Currently flying with FSHost is akin to flying in FS9 multiplayer - jerky and certainly not smooth enough for formation flying. However Gamespy is a pain the arse seeing as you can't seem to change your aircraft, or very many settings at all as a matter of fact (display, weather, time, etc etc) unless you come out of the flight and reload it all. That can get extremely annoying!

I voted often because I only fly online anymore,offline only if testing something. started back with joining Margarita Air Club and doing it ever since. I host the 2 FSHostservers for the club plus also fly on Alaska Winds server and FSVintage server. Nice thing about FSX is if u are the only one on the server and want company u and use the Sim AI traffic and it's ATC if u want. Can't do that with FS9 thou.
    As for the other questions they have been pretty well covered already.
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick C View Post
    That makes me wonder how other professions would fly. What about those from the 'oldest profession', would they be bouncing and weaving all over the place, their engines screaming and groaning? Perhaps that's for another thread though. :d
    Perhaps a lot of 'touch-and-go's' ?

Mike

I voted never, as I have never had a decent enough connection untill I moved recently(it's still not perfect, but it's faster than it was!) I loved your P-51 fly in, Kiwikat, and would love to do some more like it, it was unlike what I expected, as that had put me off-I was maybe expecting too much rigid ATC, also I dont think I fly that well, and also mainly being generally shy of intruding into a group that may well be. for all I know, an established group of mates that dont want a stranger in their midst.

But if someone organises a fly in like the P51 one, or a regular session then I will do my damndest to be there :ernae:

SOH-CM-2024
    I use to fly multi-player with my brother, until my computer outzipped his and he cannot fly FSX at all.

Like many others in this community, I find greater pleasure in creating than playing/flying. Like Banana Bob, I have acquired a hand at making prop washes and I have been doing repaints since FS2002. With my appreciation of aviation history and with so many historical planes and scenery that are available for FS9 and FSX (no longer do FS8), I am a hopeless addict!

BTW gang, I just got back up from a terrible MB fry when lightning ran in on my tower four weeks ago this past Sunday. It has been a Dante's Inferno too broad to mention.

But by the will of God and no thanks to the technician (let's not get into that, my BP rises) at Tiger Direct/COMPUSA, I have everything back up and running and both flight sims and all add-ons up and operable. I have yet to install Bill Lyon's blessing, GW3, but that is in the planning too, disk laid out. I have yet to install many of my favorite add-on aircraft. Lionheart, I may need your help again on the payware keys. However, I have most of my stuff from the past year backed up on an external HD (best purchase I ever made).

Anyhow, it's so good to be back and have a rhyme and reason to do repaints, etc. again. After seeing Ito-San's Whirlwind again, I didn't even look for the CD zip, I went straight to the link. So what, I added two Rolls-Royce Merlins to my sound package! Sue me!

Caz

Piglet and Bill Womack, double thanks:

I use MP mainly for VATSIM, and vatsim is only about 10% of my flying.

The rest of the MP is screwing around on Gamespy (when I can actually connect, because I get booted 50% of the time lame)

I would play more if GS wasn't so laggy and buggy
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Other than connecting two of my own computers a few times, I have never used multiplayer. The primary reasons are probably the following.

My piloting skills are not good enough to be safe in multiplayer unless I stay a long ways away from everybody.

I prefer to fly near my actual residence (Anchorage) with little interest in other locations (except for carrier operations).

My schedule, like others who have responded, usually means I do a lot of 30 minute flights. These are squeezed into spare moments.

I have never been described as overly social. In a couple weeks I will meet 130+ needy people. After work hours I would rather have only my wife around.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitch View Post
    I have never been described as overly social.
    I've got to be one of the most antisocial people on earth.

It is still really fun getting to know the people you talk to on forums a little more.

Kiwikat's poll here has had some really interesting responses, it's been very enlightening to read.

Aside from the drawbacks of gamespy, which admittedly is finicky to say the least, and certainly no friend of mine this week, I think that most of the concerns about multiplayer would be solved simply by finding a good group of people to fly with.

In my experience the types of sessions around are as varied as everyones' personalities. They range from screaming kids ripping around in F-18s to hardcore ATC sessions and anything you can imagine inbetween.

To find a good group of people to fly with means wading through all of this, the good, the bad, and the ugly, so you have to get your riot shield out for the first little while, but when you finally find those people, ones whose attitudes and schedules line up with your own, man there's just nothing like it. In my experience though most people don't judge each others' flying skills. I can't remember ever running across it actually, and I've done a LOT of mp flying!

The road wasn't easy in finding my 'place' in the multiplayer world, but now that I've found it I can just never go back to solo flight. I've met so many cool people all around the world through it. A couple of them have become really excellent friends too, people I communicate with all the time outside of FSX, and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Socially I consider myself a bit of hermit really, hehe, but in multi I'm all for meeting new people. And besides, in reality it's not always easy to disengage from a situation you don't enjoy, but in MP, the disconnect button is right there.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    An example of an organized MP flight would be the folks at WSP (World's Serious Pilots). Every Wednesday evening they get together for a group flight, usually at least an hour in duration and most of the time everyone is flying the same airplane. They have a set flightplan, everyone knows the route, altitude, airspeed, etc and real world weather. Off they go and all use TS for Comm, so there's chatter going on almost non-stop.
    Well, the only difference to a normal flight is that there's real chatter via Teamspeak.
    To me, this simply isn't worth the effort (install TS, install GameSpy, get a Gamespy account, set up everything, etc...). If I want in-flight entertainment I just read while cruising along or get out my laptop and do something else.

Don't get me wrong though, I normally like multiplayer modes in games (been an avid online player of BF1942: Forgotten Hope and Joint Operations), but MSFS is a big "no-no" for me.

In other games, like shooters or strategy titles, you got an entirely different experience in multiplayer, since the all-seeing, all-knowing AI is replaced by humans will all their benefits and drawbacks. You die way more often since your opponents usually aim better, but at the same time you can employ ambush tactics and combat behaviour learned in your military days which work out since you usually won't be seen behind shrubs, trees and walls.
    In MSFS, well it's just standard phraseology and the occasional nonstandard comment. Worth the effort? For others yes, for me no.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Well, the only difference to a normal flight is that there's real chatter via Teamspeak.
    To me, this simply isn't worth the effort (install TS, install GameSpy, get a Gamespy account, set up everything, etc...). If I want in-flight entertainment I just read while cruising along or get out my laptop and do something else.

Don't get me wrong though, I normally like multiplayer modes in games (been an avid online player of BF1942: Forgotten Hope and Joint Operations), but MSFS is a big "no-no" for me.

In other games, like shooters or strategy titles, you got an entirely different experience in multiplayer, since the all-seeing, all-knowing AI is replaced by humans will all their benefits and drawbacks. You die way more often since your opponents usually aim better, but at the same time you can employ ambush tactics and combat behaviour learned in your military days which work out since you usually won't be seen behind shrubs, trees and walls.
    In MSFS, well it's just standard phraseology and the occasional nonstandard comment. Worth the effort? For others yes, for me no.
    No comment. . .to each his own Bjoern.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    To me, this simply isn't worth the effort (install TS, install GameSpy, get a Gamespy account, set up everything, etc...)

In other games, like shooters or strategy titles, you got an entirely different experience in multiplayer
    The time it takes to do those things you said is about what it takes to get FSX loaded... maybe even the time it takes to boot your computer if its slow. So the amount of effort and or time is completely irrelevant.

As for the multiplayer experience, I think it is very different from single player. Adding even a little interaction when there used to be none is a big deal imho.

But as falcon said, whatever floats your boat. I know I can't change peoples' minds whom are already set. There do seem to be several people who have responded that may be interested in learning though. Hopefully we can set up a session and we can introduce more people to the multiplayer world.

BTW, Falcon, did you get my PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    The time it takes to do those things you said is about what it takes to get FSX loaded... maybe even the time it takes to boot your computer if its slow. So the amount of effort and or time is completely irrelevant.

As for the multiplayer experience, I think it is very different from single player. Adding even a little interaction when there used to be none is a big deal imho.

But as falcon said, whatever floats your boat. I know I can't change peoples' minds whom are already set. There do seem to be several people who have responded that may be interested in learning though. Hopefully we can set up a session and we can introduce more people to the multiplayer world.

BTW, Falcon, did you get my PM?
    Since i have 2 servers already set up would be willing to use one of them for a session if interested. PM me if u want.
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

No comment. . .to each his own Bjoern.
    I know. Just wanted to elaborate...a bit more. :d

The summer before FSX came out, I flew on VATSIM almost every day; learned a lot. Then FSX came out, sans SquawkBox, and I never got back in the habit. Coordinating timezones and locations is part of the problem; a lot of my flying is for reviews, and if it's a scenery review, my flying is pretty localized.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Z-PurpleBubble

Just voted

I just voted "never" merely for the fact that online flying is laggy to me... Probably my connection.

I'm also a bit of a solitary person and a very bad pilot.

I tried setting up multiplayer following instructions on here some time ago, but got completely lost when trying to understand how to open ports, god knows what else and never did get online. I used to play CFS2 alot online and it was so much simpler then even on dial up !

If it can be made easy, I would have a dabble on multiplayer, but my previous experience put me off even trying again.

Part 3, on a roll here, lol

One area that can be a real pain here is if you are running a router. All the ports required by FSX and FSHost to run must be forwarded. If not, then either you'll be kicked off or you'll cause someone else to get kicked. Most admins on a server keep track of this and can usually tell who it is that didn't forward the correct ports, but not always, so look at the brand of router you have and check online to get into your routers setup and forward all the necessary ports. Chances are, if you've never flown MP or it has been a long time since you have and you are using a router this port forwarding will have to be done.
    This is where I got lost last time. I really didn't understand what I was doing here.

I voted for Never, as it's been a looonnnngggg time for me. In FS9 I flew online with some friends, one living in Spain at the time. For FSX I use to have Sunday morning flights with a guy from Greece, which allowed for the time differences. He was worried about flying online because of his accent and "almost" 100% understanding/use of English. I just told him to listen to my Greek for a second... <long pause> ... and said if he didn't make fun of my lack of Greek-speak, I wouldn't make fun of his English. We got along well on those Sunday excursions.

When I fly nowadays it's to check out WIP or already made scenery. Some people have some of my stuff, Don or eD wELLES, so if anyone ever wanted a tourist guide I'd be happy to adjust my schedule. Hoping as life settles back down to it's normal, boring ways that opportunities might arise in the future.

But should that day come..., there is a valid reason some of my Spanish-speaking friends call me "Loco Gringo"!

Quote Originally Posted by guzler View Post
    This is where I got lost last time. I really didn't understand what I was doing here.
    Yep, I got rid of my router after I dropped one PC from my setup and was glad of that. It took me a bit to figure out the port forwarding as well. One option would be to get Team Speak setup and then get on the TS Server when Dave or one of the other knowledgeable folks are online in the evenings. They could probably walk you through the process and get you setup.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Recently

I have started flying on the sim-outhouse server quite frequently. Have noticed some others but other than my Dad I have not flown with anyone else. If people are interested I can be found online and on TeamSpeak3.

The initial setup takes some time but once you have it installed and setup its easy to get on FSHost.

Jake

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Don't

limited bandwidth

Members who have read this thread: 0