Which KPDX Portland for FSX? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which KPDX Portland for FSX?

me too. I had some traffic after the first bringing over the files and before we added those i got from the other guys. I sure want to keep that lovely traffic, it is as busy as an ant hill with heavies and lights landing and taking off and crusin around all over the place. i am working with FS9 and FSX side by side and hopefully we can find the right way this way. I will ask the other guys too about traffic.
    slow and steady wins the race.

FS9 KPDX nice mix of heavies

mix of heavies and medium weights at the gates

and the Air Force is present too

i WAS able to add some traffice with adding WoAI, and the usuals like Continental, and American, etc. but the only one that is showing up at this point is FED EX. nice details tho, with the delivery trucks.

Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

I'm posting some shots I just took of the parking on the Airport side as well as the Military side. This includes the "tree" bgl that you sent me. It also shows the lack of any AI right now, bummer.

On the Military side, the shot that shows the back sides of the Main hangar and Ops buildings and the Static display, that thin light line that goes along the Ops building and around behind the hangar is supposed to be a fenceline. I deployed there 2 and a half years ago and so I remember a lot of what it looked like.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

that is pretty much what i have too....now we just need to figger out the AFCAD sit, i remember there were ppl on the flightscenery site that had the same problem and they fixed it, but i am going to have to try to find an archive of that page.... maybe on Wayback.... and i will ask pj too, who has been helping me with those bgls. i tried adding everything from WoAI and will see if that restores the traffic. the main airlines i saw in the FS9 version were Continental, Delta, Horizon, Southwest, ...and a bunch of others who i did not recognize and there were some cool other statics too, including a Beaver float plane on the river side area....

that military side looks good, did you add stuff over there? if so, do you have a bgl for it?
    Admin

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    . . . . .the main airlines i saw in the FS9 version were Continental, Delta, Horizon, Southwest, ...and a bunch of others who i did not recognize and there were some cool other statics too, including a Beaver float plane on the river side area....that military side looks good, did you add stuff over there? if so, do you have a bgl for it?
    The airlines that I saw flying out of the Airport side every day while I was there were Horizon, Southwest, Northwest, Delta, FedEx and some American Airlines.

Yes I did add stuff on the Military side but it's not complete yet
    . I still have to find a good "fence object" so I can place the fenceline correctly. The AI is paramount now. If I can get some F-15's either static bgl files or AI traffic, then I can place the age equipment and other things in and around the parking spots to make it realistic.

Current System Specs:

YEs, American was there too, forgot that.

ok good re the miltiary side. i will work on getting any info i can about the air traffic.

ok, i found a note on this from the previous work on this project:

they say:

I also used the FSXPlanner and the Airport Design Editor programs to edit the FSX master Airport Afcad APX15150.bgl which is found in the FSX\Scenery\0101 directory...
    This APX15150.bgl was easily converted using Bgl2Xml.exe if needed...
    i am going to dig for that bgl

here it is: http://www.filefront.com/14219919/APX15150.bgl

i will try putting it above the scenery in the Addons folder to see if it will restore at least the default traffic
    Admin

Ok, I uninstalled the entire package to start again from scratch. At this point, everything is installed. . .I haven't started removing anything. Here's the freaky part, no AI during the day, but from about 8:00pm until dawn. . .traffic. . .let the sun come up and it's gone again. I installed a bunch of MAIW packages with F-15, F-16, C-130 and KC-135 aircraft along with packages for American, Horizon, Frontier, FedEx and a few others. Now Horizon is the big carrier at Portland, but American, Frontier and a lot of Southwest flights go in and out daily, but none of them show up. . .nor does the default aircraft which we all know and love, lol.

Pretty frustrating!

Current System Specs:

i think i recall that they fixed the no aircraft during the day by taking out some of the lights...

yes, i do recall that now, it is some of the light bgls that interfere with the presence of planes.

i have all those packages installled too but no go yet. lets keep working, it is close close

UPDATE: ok i got most of the traffic back using WoAI, the statics are there too, the fighters at least, during the day, not just at night. but you are right, continental and American are not showing as they should. I am going to try removing some of the light bgls. will check FS9 for confirmation one more time.
    Admin

i think i recall that they fixed the no aircraft during the day by taking out some of the lights...yes, i do recall that now, it is some of the light bgls that interfere with the presence of planes.
    Yep, I pulled the lights and the AI (Horizon and Alaskan Airlines) shows up, but not Southwest or some of the others
    Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer
    UPDATE: ok i got most of the traffic back using WoAI, the statics are there too, the fighters at least, during the day, not just at night.
    Ok, I've got no Military at all, so you're one up on me there. Still working it though.

Current System Specs:

sigh, hard work this, so close

i have lots at night, and none during the day, even with WoAI, dont know why. i may try re installing from start again too.

here is the most detailed worksheet from the work the guys did preiously dont remember if i shared this exact one so here it is:

"Hi Everyone... Its been months since I've added anything here but after seeing Vauchez' response above I felt good to know we have not been forgotten, and it was reassuring to hear, "A promise is a promise..."
    One year ago I took on a slow 2 day process of adding and removing FZ02 bgl's to see which ones worked in FSX and which ones caused problems... I wrote my findings in a Post at the time and these temporary mods have helped several friends who are using FZ02... The Black roof's are addressed, as are the black trees...
    As an X- KPDX scenery designer who helped write the last major Portland Scenery available, before Vauchez created what I still consider to be the finest Scenery package to ever have been released, I know and respect others data so I have not edited, nor would I edit anyone's bgls, however I have found many bgl's that conflicted with FSX and by removing them until an FSX FZ02 upgrade is available at least I and my friends have been able to fly with very good frame rates...
    Now with FZ02 loaded and only using the FlightZone02_SC scenery directory which I have modified as listed before by only removing the problem bgl's Portland works beautifully on my 8800GT\Quad CPU\4GB Workstation...
    I'd like to note that I am not using the FlightZone02_LC Landclass directory at all because I am using, and have really enjoyed the wonderful Landclass, Roadway\Railway\River\Lake\Creek\Stream, software GEX\UTX which covers the whole USA and has incredible satellite based GIS\GPS accurate detail...
    After FSX SP2 we have all heard good and bad about it... For me it smoothed out all my flying and both SLI graphics boards just sing along with the multi CPU's working hand in hand to make flying very fluid on the Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS...
    Like many others GEX kicked up my FPS even better by about 4 to 5 frames consistently... The stock settings however for UTX put a bit of a hit on my system, but seeing every creek and stream accurately placed in all gullies and draws was worth the small FPS hit... With all roads and railroads perfectly in place I saw no need personally for the FlightZone02_LC Landclass directory, as every Portland, street, railroad, creek, lake, farm pond, was in it's proper size and location, including every logging road throughout the State and Nation just as you see them from Google earth... At least for now the FlightZone02_LC Landclass directory was not needed with UTX's, Satellite\GIS accurate, roadway\railway\waterway, accuracy...
    Anyway enough of this... Here is what I removed until our beloved FZ02 is finally made available and of which I hope I live long enough to see...
    Note 1: I do still get some FZ02 ground texture bleedthrough if my camera is close to the ground but if I pan in spotview at about 40' or 50' AGL the bleed disappears...
    Note 2: Backup your existing FZ02 FlightZone02_SC & FlightZone02_LC...
    Note 3: The entire Landclass FlightZone02_LC directory can still be used in FSX\Sp1\Sp2 as I have tested it with no problems at least on my machine... It was beautifully created and is very accurate for the FZ02 area if one is not using the GEX\UTX addon packages...
    Again I'm sorry this is so long... Here are the files I found caused many on the problems in FSX for me...

1W1-ground01v2.bgl (great PDX photo scenery but many of the buildings are black... If the bgl was recompiled without all those black buildings the whole FZ02 area would look just about perfect...
    All FZ02 Tree bgl's needed removing...
    PDX_trees03-01.bgl
    PDX_trees03-02.bgl
    PDX_trees03-03.bgl
    PDX_trees03-04.bgl
    PDX_treesAMF.bgl
    PDX_treeseastpk.bgl
    PDX_treesFltcft.bgl
    PDX_treespt5.bgl
    PDX_treespt9.bgl
    PDX_treespt11.bgl
    PDX_treessouth.bgl
    PDX_treestwr.bgl

pdx-dirtsrwyCv2.bgl
    pdx-dirtsrwyEv2.bgl
    pdx-dirtsrwyWv2.bgl

All pdx-tarmac bgl's needed removing...
    pdx-tarmac2_E.bgl
    pdx-tarmac2_W.bgl
    pdx-tarmac2_Wa.bgl
    pdx-tarmac2v2.bgl

phx-2004seasons.bgl needed removing...

ttd_tarmac01.bgl
    ttd_tarmac02.bgl
    ttd_tarmac03.bgl

ttd-trees.bgl

vuo-tarmac01.bgl
    vuo-tarmac02.bgl
    vuo-trees01,bgl
    vuo-trees02.bgl
    vuo-trees03.bgl

hio-rwy01.bgl
    hio-rwy02.bgl
    hio-tarmac01.bgl
    hio-tarmac02.bgl
    hio-trees01.bgl
    hio-trees02.bgl
    hio-trees03

I also used the FSXPlanner and the Airport Design Editor programs to edit the FSX master Airport Afcad APX15150.bgl which is found in the FSX\Scenery\0101 directory...
    This APX15150.bgl was easily converted using Bgl2Xml.exe if needed...
    I still need to move a bit more the default FSX APX15150.bgl's, Jetways and parking to align with the FZ02 Terminal buildings and Jetways more accurately and this can be done nicely in either of the free FSXPlanner program or the Airport Design Editor programs which sync's nicely with an FSX Top-Down slew mode while FSX is running...
    I hate to add anything else here but I have to note, that at least for me, if I also remove:
    kpdxrwylights.bgl
    kvuorwylights.bgl
    kttdrwylights.bgl
    I keep all my Dusk\Nite\Dawn runway lights and flashing strobes\Rabbit turned on during these hours... BUT, and for whatever reason I cannot explain, and maybe Vauchez can, I lose seeing all daytime AI aircraft... Dusk\Nite\Dawn AI aircraft show up perfectly, only the daytime planes disappear... This has happened only since FSX SP2... All the AI is still working, you just cannot see the planes... I see all their lights and rubber smoke on landings, but no aircraft, if those bgls listed just above here are installed... Remember crazy as this is with these same bgl's removed I also see all my Dusk\Nite\Dawn runway lights...
    Now if I install those 3 bgl's I will see all my AI aircraft perfectly during Day\Dusk\Nite\Dawn but I will loose all my Dusk\Nite\Dawn runway lights and strobes within the FZ02 area... If I'm flying to Seattle's SEATAC KSEA all AI aircraft and runway lights work perfectly because I'm out of the FZ02 area... Go figure... I have removed SP2 and everything works fine in the FZ02 area regarding seeing all my AI aircraft and all runway lights but SP2 does something strange to say the least within these 3 bgl's...
    So by just renaming or removing these FZ02 files and playing with APX15150.bgl I was able to put together a most wonderful to look at FlightScenery FZ02...
    Have fun flying everyone and remember, "A promise is a promise..."
    bnick??"
    Admin

Good Morning Chris: Falcon: I see you have been hard at work! I downloaded the files you had posted earlier, and then chopped out the three rwylights bgl's and now have modest traffic: I think I must have loaded up Flight1's Ultimate Traffic, NA only, as I see two Flight1 MD-80's and th Flight1 763 in, and just east of "D" parking. I have a plethora of Alaskan, both in "C" and "D", along with two Southwest 7xx's, an America West 7xx in "C", another Flight1 7xx, and then in the "B" area several Delta, and an American Airlines 7xx. There are also a few aircraft scattered on the south side. Time was around 0730 local.
    I must say, you guys have done an amazing job of bringing it back to "how it should be": it looks great. How are you going to fix the floors in that multi-level parking building, though? That must present an awful challenge.

Did you get the other piece of the FZ02-UT_USA patch Chris?

pj

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Good Morning Chris: Falcon: I see you have been hard at work!. . . . .How are you going to fix the floors in that multi-level parking building, though? That must present an awful challenge.
    Did you get the other piece of the FZ02-UT_USA patch Chris?
    pj
    Hi Paul,

I'm still working on the AI, I even downloaded AI_FlightPlanner and was able to convert the traffic files from WOAI to FSX Format, so I at least have more traffic than yesterday. I was going to simply make up some new arrival/departure legs for just KPDX, but the program is asking for info that I have no clue how to input. A work in progress!!

As for that multi_level parking area, it's an alpha problem for sure, but the fact that no one else has ever been able to correct it tells me It's an FSX "thing", that can't be corrected without getting into the mdl files. So it probably will have to remain a problem. I would imagine that if it could be corrected though it would up the fps a few notches as well.

Current System Specs:

Hi Paul, welcome to the effort here is the unlock file for the UTX compatablity:

http://www.filefront.com/14229005/USUnlock.rar/

that is great what you were able to get, i havent seen any Alaska yet, or Amwerican West, just have southwest, Horizon and Hawaian but that was becasue i installed WoAI, i will re read your post and see if i can shadow what you did,

the traffic issue remains the final challenge, as there is plenty at night but almost none during the day and from what i recall from the working forum topic on the now vanished FlightScenery site, they had that problem before and solved it but i am not sure how yet

yp that parking garage has the alphas.. but i can live with that if we can get other things working

cheers
    Admin

Can you use FS9's TrafficTools in FSX? This is what I used for Rhode Island's Quonset Point when adding the ANG + other odd aircraft. (This was my "home" base" in FS9). I'll give it a shot later on today (have "chores" to attend to...).

I guess I've found the answer... you don't need to - it's in the SDK/EnvironmentKit/TrafficToolBoxSDK......

i am buying Ultimate Traffic X to see if that will get the traffic back. will report later.
    Admin

i am buying Ultimate Traffic X to see if that will get the traffic back. will report later.
    I used AIFlight Planner (thanks dhazelgrove) to convert the FS9 WOAI Packages that I downloaded. Even though when I download them from flightsim.com or Avsim the header says FS9/FSX. . .they are not. . .they can be easily converted, but those packages are not FSX ready. Once they are converted everything comes back, to include the default traffic as well.

As mjrhealth noted also, even though the flightplans are converted doesn't mean we'll automatically have all our spots filled. The person who made up those plans will have had to include KPDX with enough frequency for it to really fill up the slots.
    I can tell you, they did not. Using AIFlight Planner you can add extra legs to include KPDX with more frequency, but as they are, once the files are converted, is all we can expect for now, which is far better than none at all.

As for the Military side, the best plan of action is to write a separate flight plan for KPDX to encompass the C-130, F-15 and KC-135. AIFlight Planner will do, and I assume for someone who is versed in the program it's no big deal, but actually it's not really that simple, not impossible, but not simple either.

Current System Specs:

OK AIFlightplanner it is then, i do have a lot of those files and that will really help thanks a lot for that tip. i have some expensive payware that needs to be sure to have all traffic files in FSX format or i wont see their add ons flights, so that is just what i need for that too. thanks. We are very close to having succeeded i think thanks to much effort by many including esp you Falcon
    Admin

... and I'm right back to the shorelines in the water around Seattle whenever I use FZ02.... What have I screwed up, Chris? I've enabled and disabled every part of UT_USA, but they come back the second I enable '02.. I didn't have this before I started messing with it again...

i have those double coastlines too, i guess that will be one of the bugs we cant do anything about.
    i see that UT US has no repair function, ah well.

wow that conversoin process is great very easy, i have tried two other conversoin programs and neither worked, this one went like a charm, thanks so much for that heads up Falcon, i cant wait to see all that traffic in there now

/me cheers

i got it working with full traffic finally that conversion did the trick. I am done i think, and will move on to other things, this was a fun learning experience. I will share my final file set up with anyone who owns this and is interested.

if you do end up with a detailed bgl for the military side Falcon i would love to see it.

the jetways dont line up right..but i dont have the skill or the time to learn how to fix that. someone who has the skills can do that
    Admin

. . . . .wow, that conversion process is great very easy, i have tried two other conversion programs and neither worked, this one went like a charm, thanks so much for that heads up Falcon, i cant wait to see all that traffic in there now. . . . . . . i got it working with full traffic finally that conversion did the trick. I am done i think, and will move on to other things, this was a fun learning experience. I will share my final file set up with anyone who owns this and is interested.

if you do end up with a detailed bgl for the military side Falcon i would love to see it.

the jetways dont line up right..but i dont have the skill or the time to learn how to fix that. someone who has the skills can do that
    You have three times the AI traffic I do even after the conversion. Not sure what's up there.

I'll work on the Military Traffic this week and hopefully I can make sense of it all and get some traffic going over there as well.

The jetways can be moved, that much I know, but like you I'm unaware of exactly how.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    The jetways can be moved, that much I know, but like you I'm unaware of exactly how.
    Well, moving the parking spots (can be done with ADE) might be easier than hacking the scenery and moving the jetways.

Working on the Military side right now. In Lieu of AI Traffic, until I figure out AI again, I placed some C-130 objects along with a lot of the normal AGE equipment, stands and specialists you might see on the line. This is a definite WIP, but it's taking my mind off the stupid AI snafu.

Current System Specs:

falcon that looks just great. i am sure we will figure out the AI eventually, what i did was try the bgl for traffic i singled out earler as a seperate add on in the add on file, it gave me some planes but not many, .... so i resorted in the end to just WoAI and lots of it, just about all the american carriers i could find and a lot from overseas too. but, i have decided to try the Flight One Ulitimate Traffic FSX to see what it can do as it advertises military traffic too. I think we have the main points of how to work the scenery and with the two bgls to add some trees and to exclude and replace the default terminals with the good ones from the scenery...and with the addition of the extra trees and the military side you have done, if you feel comfortable sharing them with us, i think we have this moved to FSX comfortably. I took out the three main runway light bgls and that seems to have solved the no planes during the day problem. I dont see any way to restore the traffic that they built into the FS9 version, but i have hopes that we can handle that with either WoAI which is freeware or Ulitmate Traffic X which is payware.... for future ppl to follow us on this. I will also try to contact the designers on the original scenery and see if we can get some help from them, and or if they plan to work on an updated version. It would be interesting to see if we can learn about some of the changes needed, but over all i would say I think we have done a great job on this. It is great to see such a nice terminal there in KPDX and with your military improvments on that side, it will be a beautiful addition to any install.
    Admin

. . . . .I will also try to contact the designers on the original scenery and see if we can get some help from them, and or if they plan to work on an updated version. It would be interesting to see if we can learn about some of the changes needed. . . . .
    I'm afraid that since the website is gone and I know the original designer is gone (that was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen too), I doubt there will be any help coming from anyone connected with FlightScenery. I know there is someone, probably Vauchez (sp?) who knows exactly what needs to be done to correct even the small problems we still have, like the alpha channels and the AFCAD file, but he disassociated himself from the project right at it's height and never returned. I don't know what ever happened to him, maybe burnout, maybe a serious illness, who knows. I just know that one day he was there, then poof. . .gone and never even a single line posted by him after that in his own forum. He just disappeared.

Current System Specs:

Almost forgot, I'll get all the bgl's and textures together in a zip file and send them on to you to test on your system for the additions I made ASAP.

Current System Specs:

thanks re the zip, and ys, i knew about V moving on, he moved over to the French set of AddOns, the VFR set for Paris, and differnt regions of France. I have them installed but have not had time to test them yet, so I am thinking I maybe able to find him there. If there is no plan for FlightOne to do an update maybe he can and will help us, who knows? thanks again for sharing those files, this has been a fun project, I really enjoy working on things to help our community enjoy FSX even more.

and i will test and compare Ultimate Traffic with WoAI, i suspect either one will work to restore the traffic.

I think maybe one reason i have more heavies than your install is that i made a double install of some of them by mistake so i have two copies of some of the big guys, and was going to have to clean them out Guess there wont be any problem with full flights in my instance of KPDX
    Admin