Aero L-39 Albatros - Page 5
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Aero L-39 Albatros

Hi Death Eagle, thanks, glad you like it. On the altimeter, unfortunately no, it's imperial only, but it is the only imperial gauge in the aircraft, all of the other steam gauges are original metric. Most military L-39s (the ones outside Russia anyway) and almost all privately owned planes had their metric altimeters replaced with Imperial ones in the 80's and 90's to conform to ICAO standards and it seemed logical to follow suit, especially when considering FSX. A metric altimeter option may be possible, but not at this time.

Since all of the gauges are 3D it would require a separate VC export pipeline to maintain, which at this stage is simply too risky. I will give it some thought if I decide to update the plane at all at a later date though.

Dag, thank you. I think I've seen the ones you're talking about. L-39s end up in quite a lot of excercises in Norway it seems. They're pretty tough to find on radar, especially in those mountains, and being so small they make challenging targets haha.

Bjoern, thanks, glad you like the scratches. I'm happy to say though that they are a minor feature.

Since all of the gauges are 3D it would require a separate VC export pipeline to maintain, which at this stage is simply too risky.
    I'd say it would require only a little visibility trick and a hidden clickspot. Just an idea
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    Bjoern, thanks, glad you like the scratches. I'm happy to say though that they are a minor feature.
    But a damn good one!

yago9
    Lol.Kiwikat can do all the repaints on this one.It didn,t even cross my mind to paint this model.It looks perfect to me as is and I don't think I need any extra ones.

Wow! How did you did those scratches? Is it tiled normalmap? Come on, share your secrets :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by some1 View Post
    I'd say it would require only a little visibility trick and a hidden clickspot. Just an idea
    Yes, on a normal aircraft you'd be right, but there's more to this than meets the eye and the plane's hierarchy is quite sensitive. The plane is done and wrapped now, so I'm not willing to mess with it and possibly introduce bugs or inconsistencies just days before release. If I decide to update it later on I'll keep your request in mind.

As for how I did things... I'm glad you like it, but I have to keep some things to myself, sorry. 15 months of blood, sweat, and tears...and headaches..*lots* of those.....

Anyone here going to paint the two Albatrosse from Tomorrow Never Dies?

Quote Originally Posted by An-225 View Post
    Anyone here going to paint the two Albatrosse from Tomorrow Never Dies?
    Actually a little trivia on those two planes. One of the guys who has helped me out with a great many technical and systems questions during the project, Bernd Rehn, was the same person who acquired and provided those two aircraft for that scene in Tomorrow Never Dies. If you look closely on the missiles hanging under the wings of one of them you'll see his company's sticker there: "Aero Contact".

It's a pretty stoopid and unrealistic scene overall... afterburners? on an Albatros? Still, I cheer every time I see Bond's L-39 blow the truck over on its side with its exhaust.

They appear to be one former East German and possibly one Estonian Air Force planes. East German (yellow tips) will be the next free paint I make.

They appear to be one former East German and possibly one Estonian Air Force planes. East German (yellow tips) will be the next free paint I make.
    Brilliant! It is an iconic scene (in my opinion). Even if SB-5 torpedoes have no real counterpart, it was a fun part of the movie, and I may look into renovating Courchevel in FSX to give this bird a home. :ernae: The ground turning radius looks quite amazing in the movie, I would imagine those gun pods and B-8 rocket pods would be a lot of fun.

It turns out they are both former East German AF planes, so I'll be doing the yellow tip one for sure, and it's no bother to do an orange as well, but they will retain their original insignias, which were removed for the film obviously.

Some more pics from the making of that scene if you're interested.

http://www.aero-contact.net/Firma/Hi...ery1996-JB.htm

On steering radius, yes you're right. The L-39 has no nose wheel steering, only differential braking, so if you stomp one brake and give it just the right amount of power you can almost spin it in place.

Actually a little trivia on those two planes. One of the guys who has helped me out with a great many technical and systems questions during the project, Bernd Rehn, was the same person who acquired and provided those two aircraft for that scene in Tomorrow Never Dies. If you look closely on the missiles hanging under the wings of one of them you'll see his company's sticker there: "Aero Contact".

Judging from what I've read on the L39.com website Bernd is pretty much "the expert" when it comes to all things L-39.

Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by hews500d View Post
    Judging from what I've read on the L39.com website Bernd is pretty much "the expert" when it comes to all things L-39.

Darrell
    Indeed. Between him and Chuck Kerber I doubt anyone else knows more about the L-39. I was only able to stump Bernd with one question out of maybe 100, and then he simply called up one of his friends at Aero who built the real ones to get me an answer. All of the folks in the L-39 community I have gotten to know are seriously generous people. It's been humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by italoc View Post

When? Where ? How ?
    Italo
    When: Very soon! Probably less than a week.
    Where: Simmarket & FS Pilotshop probably
    How: Direct download + registration key

I'll make a release post here when everything is finished and ready. Cheers.

Hi Lotus

Waiting patiently with my money ready :ernae:

Regards
    Rick

I love the Albatros as an airplane of course but I have to be honest in saying that I detest about 99% of the paint schemes that have been put on them over the years, some are just aaawwwwful haha.
    Cheers guys,

-Mike
    Hey Mike I couldn't agree with you more. For your info our paint shop here at IJ is trying to do something about that. So hopefully at least a few of the real ones will have decent paint schemes that are done right.

Hey one of those planes, N43722, belongs to a customer of ours from Florida. I have done some avionics work on it.

Members +

Aero L-39 Albatros

Is it going to have a civilian version ie: no gunsite, for us guys that are not intrested in shooting anybody down but would't mind buzzing the highway an scaring some of those cars an trucks in FSX Dave

Hi Dave. Yup, answered your question before a couple pages back hehe. There are several civilian models without gunsight.

Cheers.

Is the end of this weekend or the beginning of next week going to be a good one for all of us wanting the Albatross ? :d

Darrell

Yes sir, the beginning of next week is very likely. I highly doubt it will be any later than this coming Wednesday.

Yes sir, the beginning of next week is very likely. I highly doubt it will be any later than this coming Wednesday.
    sounds good

BR
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hews500d View Post

Darrell
    Maybe, but we have a couple guys here at International Jets that are up there too. One of our guys went to school with Bernd many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    The RXP GNS430W looks like it could fit snugly into the cockpit according to this pic

http://www.rafale-imagery.com/images/L39/milpit2.jpg

Actualy I wish it would fit there in real life. It would make my job so much easier. But the box is way too long so we have to put them above the instrument panel. Hey but it does look nice down there on the console.