Autosmoke gauges

Thread: Autosmoke gauges

Autosmoke gauges

I'd first like to start by saying I've very little knowledge about gauges - at least the inner workings of them, so bear with me!

Now as anyone who knows anything about jets, especially from the 1950s/60s, they can be pretty smokey beasts when they want to be. However I don't think it's very well produced in FSX, mainly because they all seem to use one file, which is either switched on or off. Common sense (and simply watching such aircraft) would lead you to conclude that an engine at 20% throttle should be producing a whole lot less smoke than one at 100%.

So, is it possible to perhaps layer the effects so you have them coming on at different throttle settings? Say for example you reduced the opacity of the default effect, to about 1/5th of it's original opacity, then set several gauges to make each one come on at a different throttle setting. One gauge for 20%, one for 40%, one for 60% and so on, therefore gradually building up the smoke by adding the effect each time.

If I've not explained what I'm trying to get at well enough, then by all means ask me what the hell I'm on about! The fact that nobody has tried this before (to my knowledge) would make me think that this isn't possible, but you never know.

N332DW
    quite possible, but they would be lights gauges and not a smoke gauge..
    smoke is smoke , on or off
    you would need seperate smoke effects files for each opacity level or they could be additive
    each light gauge could control a different light I.E logo;cabin;recog;taxi
    each smoke opacity effect would be declared in the aircraft.cfg lights section for each light type
    a range could be setup in the XML like: throttle_lever_percent, GT 25 && LT 50 and so on..

Members who have read this thread: 1