Dell Tech Support?

Thread: Dell Tech Support?

Dell Tech Support?

Does anyone know of a way to contact people that work for Dell Computers in the USA? The new rig is quickly falling apart from the inside out and I need to get it fixed. The boys in India just don't seem to get it....

Dell

If you got Vista 64, then it's no wonder. I had nothing but problems with my Dell XPS 630 w/Vista 64. Got absolutely no help from India, Philipines, or the US. Totally usless people. Threw out Vista; added XP Pro SP 3. & away all the problems went. I'll never buy another Dell.

Retired SOH Administrator
    What is she doing. I have found out in the past when it comes to dealing with Dell support....ya might be better off trying to get it going yourself......Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    Does anyone know of a way to contact people that work for Dell Computers in the USA? The new rig is quickly falling apart from the inside out and I need to get it fixed. The boys in India just don't seem to get it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

There was a day when Dell support was second to none. Dells are just another throw away machine anymore. Another American company that forgot what got them on top.

i also have a dell. their tech support has made me want to pull my eyes out at times. funny thing is, i have a buddy who is buying one. after he explained to me what he wants it to do, i tried to tell him how he could build it for probably $500 less. he replied "yeah, but with dell, i get a warranty and tech support" so i said, dude! their tech support sucks! you think it's worth $500? and he said yes. UGGHHHH!!!!!!:isadizzy:

Dell support is as bad as Microsoft support, I would not buy a Dell for nothing.. You should see the piles of Dell Laptops and Desktops that we call our Dell Graveyard at our shop... Dell is just not what it used to be.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Happiness Consultant
    JMHO ... never should have bought a Dell. As long as I live I'll never buy another manufacturer configured computer.

"Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

I went with Dell again this time because I they replaced my 2004 XPS for free after repeated problems trying to get a new power cord for it. The warranty had run out and they sent me a top-of-the-line (though reconditioned) XPS 1710. It never gave me a lick of trouble until the video card quit. You usually have to go through hoops to get to someone in the US that has a clue, but, unless things have changed, it can be done.

As for what it's doing.... I had to uninstall Sid Meiers Railroads! and reinstall after one use. Seems to be working ok, when I can use it... I've had to remove and reinstall McAfee three times. I often see the blue screen of death with BAD_POOL_CALLER. (If you can't call a pool, I guess that really is bad...) I get a laundry list of errors- since I've been writing them down in the last three starts, I have seen seven unique error messages. Only a few of them are repeats. A lot of them are messages that a program has stopped working.

I'm not sure if this is a Vista problem, although I can't stand it already. I wasn't given the XP option when I purchased the computer.

Heck at this point, I'd settle for a snail mail address to the corporate office.

Suspect drivers or the old chestnut bad ram.
    Dell are geared up to provide for business needs not gamers so I'd suggest updating all drivers yourself and using a driver cleaner first for the vid card.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Blog Entries
    I have an old 1.8 Dell from around 2002 with 1 GHz of old pc 133 memory, and it never gets turned off, my magic jack is the only thing is has to run along with XP, and it is built like a battle ship.
    What problem's do you have??

Contact Dell Customer Service by phone. Please have your system's Service Code, Express Service Code or order number ready.
    Customer Care Phone Number Hours

Home 1-800-847-4096 8am - 9pm EST Mon - Fri
    Home Office 1-800-387-5757 8am - 8pm EST Mon - Fri
    Look What I Have Become!

Got a Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX50 Systems for free for my old mum and although basic and 7 or 8 years old it runs solid as a rock, however I wouldn't want to run a sim on it.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

SOH-CM-2024
    I went with Dell again this time because I they replaced my 2004 XPS for free after repeated problems trying to get a new power cord for it. The warranty had run out and they sent me a top-of-the-line (though reconditioned) XPS 1710. It never gave me a lick of trouble until the video card quit. You usually have to go through hoops to get to someone in the US that has a clue, but, unless things have changed, it can be done.

As for what it's doing.... I had to uninstall Sid Meiers Railroads! and reinstall after one use. Seems to be working ok, when I can use it... I've had to remove and reinstall McAfee three times. I often see the blue screen of death with BAD_POOL_CALLER. (If you can't call a pool, I guess that really is bad...) I get a laundry list of errors- since I've been writing them down in the last three starts, I have seen seven unique error messages. Only a few of them are repeats. A lot of them are messages that a program has stopped working.

I'm not sure if this is a Vista problem, although I can't stand it already. I wasn't given the XP option when I purchased the computer.

Heck at this point, I'd settle for a snail mail address to the corporate office.
    Well, half of your your problem is right there IMHO, Norton and McAfee are total load suckers, I wouldn't have them on any of my five computers! Last two I built, I did so simply because I didn't want them bloated with 90-Day trial programs that I would never use, Norton or MeAfee anti-virus being particularly two I wanted to stay away from. The best thing you can do is uninstall McAfee and all of its folder, hell, I even remove the registry keys, and install AVG Anti-Virus. The other three are H-Ps and came with the bloatware, which I instantly uninstalled and got rid of. That's the main problem with going brand name, you just get so much unnecessary add-ons that bloat up your hard drive. A plaque on the lot of them. As long as New Egg and Tiger Direct stay in business, I'll be making my own towers.

Caz

hi all,
    I have a 9200 dimension as my back up machine.never had a problem with it.But the first thing i did when it arrived was reformat the HD.Got rid of all the crap and put the drivers on I wanted and not the supplied ones.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

poet,traveler
    Vista's not your problem and I would NOT run AVG 8,it is absolutely awful.I run Avast and windows firewall,download 200+ gigs of files a month with no problems.Vista,like every other out of the box OS,needs to be tweaked to run effectively,and yes that includes XP which runs like crap from the box.I just got thru clearing all of the crap out of my girlfriends old XP machine ,so I know what I am talking about.Don't listen to all of the nonsense about Vista.Go here http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html and here http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Read and learn and Vista will run great,I am on my second Vista laptop and have great performance out of them.:ernae:
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Charter Member 2015
    I've a Dell XPS420 in use as a htpc (got it for a bargain price...so couldn't resist). I wiped the hdd's original Vista 32 Premium and installed Vista Ultimate 64. I've had absolutely no problems with it.
    I'd be the first person to recommend a self build system.....but for those that don't/can't then I'd have no problem recommending a Dell.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    I've a Dell XPS420 in use as a htpc (got it for a bargain price...so couldn't resist). I wiped the hdd's original Vista 32 Premium and installed Vista Ultimate 64. I've had absolutely no problems with it.
    I'd be the first person to recommend a self build system.....but for those that don't/can't then I'd have no problem recommending a Dell.

the trouble with buying a dell is, they are built for a specific purpose/price point. they are a pita to upgrade. for example, the computer i am using right now. my sister gave it to me, otherwise i wouldn't have it. she bought it to send emails and do facebook and stuff. she never opened the box, so after a year she gave it to me. it had 1 stick of 256 ram in it, and the mobo is all pci slot. it took me a long time to find a video card to go in it. i had to mount the extra hard drive in the spare disc drive slot because there isn't anywhere else to put on internally. everything i have done to this box has been a struggle because it was built to be exactly what my sister ordered and never more than that. the dell tech told me on the phone they don't want people to upgrade what they have, they want them to buy another.

Cheezy, it's the same for all the other store-bought computers. They don't want you to be able to upgrade them at all . Planned obsolesence is the name of the game.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    the trouble with buying a dell is, they are built for a specific purpose/price point. they are a pita to upgrade. for example, the computer i am using right now. my sister gave it to me, otherwise i wouldn't have it. she bought it to send emails and do facebook and stuff. she never opened the box, so after a year she gave it to me. it had 1 stick of 256 ram in it, and the mobo is all pci slot. it took me a long time to find a video card to go in it. i had to mount the extra hard drive in the spare disc drive slot because there isn't anywhere else to put on internally. everything i have done to this box has been a struggle because it was built to be exactly what my sister ordered and never more than that. the dell tech told me on the phone they don't want people to upgrade what they have, they want them to buy another.
    Not necessarily.....I've upgraded the chip,memory,hard drives,gfx card,sound card,tv card,optical drives,OS and fans on mine.
    I've an ancient Dell Dimension 4550 too that I've upgraded the chip,memory,hard drives, gfx etc etc. The only real issue I've run into into with the cheaper/older Dell's is upgrading the mobos ....as most are Dell specific. With the newer XPS range eg 7xx series, however, you can now upgrade the system with 3rd party motherboards.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks guys!

I'm still working with India, trying to figure this thing out. I sent them a list of errors, tried resetting the RAM boards and now it won't work at all. I think we've narrowed it down to the motherboard, but I'm waiting for them to figure that out.

Thanks guys!

I'm still working with India, trying to figure this thing out. I sent them a list of errors, tried resetting the RAM boards and now it won't work at all. I think we've narrowed it down to the motherboard, but I'm waiting for them to figure that out.
    I just went throught this with them, it was bad! If they say they are replacing it they will send a refurbished unit. Tell them up front no refurbished unit. Call the number for new sales and demand an American tech, they have the ability to do this.

Blog Entries
    I use AVG 8 with no problems.
    Railrunner, here is part of an email I got from Dell when I was working with their support people. It has a number. maybe this will help you.

To chat online with us, please go to http://www.dell.com/GoToChat and provide the following information:
    1. Your system Service Tag

To contact us through email, please reply to this email, and include the following information in the body of the email:
    1. Your preferred method of contact (email or phone if you would like us to call you back)
    2. Please include your phone number and the best time of the day to call you if phone is your preferred method of contact

To contact us through the phone, please call 1-877-671-3355, select option 1, then enter the extension null when prompted and provide the agent with Case #*********.

For all new issues, please contact Dell XPS Hardware Warranty Support by chatting with us online at http://www.dell.com/GoToChat or by calling 1-877-671-3355, selecting option 3 for technical support.

Thank you for choosing Dell.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Yea. I think that's who I'm working with. They had me back track a little. I feel kinda stupid that I didn't think about it first. They had me toy around with the RAM cards. I think I've got a bad one. I'm on the road and am using the 2002 machine, not the new rig, so I'll have to mess with it a little more before I declare that to be the problem.

I know most of you slam Dell but I bought a Dell XPS 700 several years ago (just after FSX came out) at quite a deal (less than $2k) and it has been doing great. I run XP even though the machine is Vista capable. I got it with 4gig or Ram, NVidia GeForce 7900GTX card, E6600 dual processors and a 1Kw power supply. It handles FSX with no problem and plays most other FPS' that have come out that bring other PC's to their knees. The only addition I've made is to add another HD (it has space for 3 more if I want).

Perhaps I got lucky.

-G-

It's been my experience that Dell computers usually run well until they near the end of their service lives. It seems that once I replace the AC adapter and/or battery, it's time to replace them. (I haven't seemed to learn that lesson though. I buy the replacement parts, then it goes bad....) My issue with Dell is tech support. I can't stand trying to communicate with someone in India that can barely understand english and has to rely on a decision tree to help.

That being said, while I treat my computer well, it travels everywhere with me and it must suffer from those effects on occasion. Knock on wood, I haven't jarred anything lose, cracked a case or blown a screen.

What I'd really like is an easily upgradible game machine in a toughbook-like case that has a waterproof keyboard. A built in AC Adapter would be awesome too.

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...en&~ck=anavml\
    Online chat solved speaker and CD drive problems.
    Of and of ...
    These persons speak typewriter ...
    jbtate ...