The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 991

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Quote Originally Posted by cthornburg View Post
    .... Comper Streak .....
    I don't think so. The Streak and the Kite were significantly different aeroplanes.

Yes, have to go with PH here - the Pobjoy engine is the clincher.

..... as is the second cockpit. I know that it is claimed that two Streaks were produced, the second of which 'had provision for a second cockpit' (q.v. https://www.nickcomper.co.uk/the-kite), but I've haven't seen any corroboration for that claim or a photograph of a two seat Streak and I know of only one Streak with a British civil registration mark, namely G-ACNC. The Kite, which was registered G-ACME, emerged from the Comper works a little more than a month after the first flight of the Streak. It had a fuselage slightly longer than the Streak. But for the Streak having a Gipsy Major and the Kite having a Pobjoy Niagara, the two aeroplanes visually were very similar. But they were two different aeroplanes. However, all of this is just for the record and I have no wish to be an impediment to SC posting the next mystery.

All the best

pomme homme

....... I think PH has it .....

I was just going on what I found in the caption. Not an expert in civil except for flying.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Thank you, Chris, lefty and SC.

Here are the mortal remains of something that was quite advanced in its day.

P.s. what was the source of your photograph of the Kite, Chris?

'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay,
    That bring the fog and mist.'

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Well done, you Ancient Mariner. You saved me trotting out my Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac clue! This bird was brought low (well, that's being rather dramatic - it force landed) at Pucklechurch on 6 October 1940 and its mortal remains are depicted outside the Old House at Home public house in Burton, Wiltshire, having been recuperated by the indomitable Jim Packer.

pomme homme

When I'm wandering around the web and find something I think might be used here. I just download it. So where I found this I don't know. I try to get a collection of mystery
    pics that I can use. Most times it's been used before. Just like the pix of the Beech Model 40 I should have saved it but didn't. I try to find something of interest that will spark saving the history of it.

Thanks

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    Well done, you Ancient Mariner. You saved me trotting out my Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac clue! This bird was brought low (well, that's being rather dramatic - it force landed) at Pucklechurch on 6 October 1940 and its mortal remains are depicted outside the Old House at Home public house in Burton, Wiltshire, having been recuperated by the indomitable Jim Packer.
    So, if the truth is to be told, 'tis the remains of DH Albatross:
    Fingal
    Passenger variant was registered G-AFDL and delivered to Imperial Airways (later BOAC) as Fingal in 1939. Destroyed in a crash landing near Pucklechurch, Gloucestershire, England on 6 October 1940.

The quote, as others may have discerned, is from the Samuel Taylor Coleridge epic "The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere" (1798), which, in my warped youth I once recited in my English Lit. class - all 650+ lines of it.
    As the myth goes, to shoot an Albatross will bring untold hardship and a lasting curse or death. "Frobisher", Albatross G-ADFI was destroyed on the ground during a German air attack on Whitchurch Airport on 20 December 1940. 'Nuff said...

I'm in the midst of reconstructing a wall in the basement originally made by someone with NO (zero, zilch) skills or knowledge. If I do not post a mystery within 12 hours, consider it open house.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

ID please

It is again very quiet here. I'll take advantage of the lull to request some help.

This contraption is supposed to be roadable, flyable, and floatable. And designed in 1928.
    Does anyone know who is the designer, and what is the designation?

(Source: rarehistoricalphotos.com)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flying car + boat 1928.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	90322

Using TinEye only found it's English from 1928

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00003c40_medium.jpeg  

I've seen it before, some time ago, but I can't find it again! I believe that it was a mock-up, created and used for some exhibition, like the Ideal Home Exhibition, as an indication of what future personal travel would be like.

Back in 2016, someone called dan_inbox posted on the secret projects forum that it was 'an attraction in a London exhibition, on the theme of 'the house of the future' and how we'd live then' (q.v. https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thr...ns.4480/page-2).

Thank you for the SPF pointer, PH.
    Post #49 in the same thread says: "this mock-up design was called the Aerocar of AD 2000, and was part of the 1928 Ideal Home Show in England, which I think was organised by the "Daily Mail" newspaper."

So we have the designation and the confirmation that it was a mock-up only.
    Time flies, and so does my memory. I participated in that thread, but since it's a non-flyer I didn't file it ...

Thanks to you and Chris.

Am I the only person who looks at the forward image of the Aerocar of AD 2000 and thinks he can see where VW got the idea for its post-war microbus!

Change of topic. On one of my regular world tours in Google Earth, found myself in Burkina Faso, a country about which I know absolutely zilch.

The capital, Ougadougou, is a vast sprawling city. In the middle of it, came across this- now I cannot find any references to Ekranoplans ending up in this godforsaken place - or is it something else ? can anyone come up with the answer, please ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bfaso.jpg  

Do you have the coordinates for it, I'm going crazy trying to find it on Google Earth?
    Andy

Isn't a twin engine plane with outer wing panels removed much more likely than an ekranoplane ?

Could be something like a Beech C-12 ?
    Last edited by dan_pub; April 8th, 2023 at 22:18.

Google map reference is 12.35268145002458, -1.5375043295033006

There is an airfield within a mile or two, and I'm sure dan is right about the wingless plane, but...why ?

I can see from where dan_pub is coming, because my initial thoughts were similar to his. But if you extrapolate from the image, by adding outboard wings, you end up with a somewhat strange looking airframe - particularly the wings, which are potentially of quite high aspect ratio, and the engines, which project an extraordinary way forward of the leading edge of the wings. However, against it being an ekranoplan is that I cannot find an example whose layout matches that in the google earth image. The closest I can get is the Alexeyev SM-6, but this appears to have mainplanes of greater chord and tailplanes of greater angle of incidence.

Could it be a Beechcraft B200 King Air? The length is about right and the planform kinda fits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King Air.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	90398
    Andy

Think it's this one which was used by the BF Air Force, and which seems to have been allowed to fall into disrepair !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0371016.jpg  

It did look like big airframe at first glance but a smaller twin makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    It did look like big airframe at first glance but a smaller twin makes sense.
    It is why I asked for the coordinates, to be able to measure it & narrow down the options. Nice that we've been able to solve the mystery.
    Andy