The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 1000

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

With apologies for the delay, curiously here's a non-military single seater from a major manufacturer.

Well Mike, according to various sources, I think this is F-BBGC, which is a Morane-Saulnier 560, 563, or possibly 570 ! (Think I'll plump for the middle one...)

Spot on, Mike, on both counts. It is F-BBGC and a MS.563, the second and last aircraft in the MS.560 series.

As I can't find a wine glass icon, I'll offer you a virtual glass of chilled Quarts de Chaume, perhaps a Chateau Bellerive 1988, to toast your success.

Well I thought I had posted a reply early this morning but it has disappeared !

Try again - a floater that has suffered from a vent malencontreux - haven't we all on occasion ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floatdump.jpg  

..... yes, but generally without such disastrous consequences!

Sorry to have let this drag on - pretty sure Pomme homme knows it -- but one more clue - three Farman 500hp motors, and she was designed for work with mail and passengers in the south Atlantic. From a well-known company.

That's the one, Dan ! Over to you

What puzzles me is that the only photographs that I found (on the airwar.ru website) of the Laté 34 show a passenger cabin with windows above the sponson, which seems to be absent in the photograph which you posted, Mike. Maybe the airwar.ru photographs are not of the Laté 34? Furthermore the recorded history and fate of the Laté 34 doesn't seem to tally with your narrative, Mike. The only other three engine (two tractor, one pusher) Laté hydravion I found was the Laté 50, which doesn't have a passenger cabin with windows (it was a postal aircraft), but I failed to find anything about its history or fate and only one side-on photograph. Maybe the source of your photograph, Mike, can shed more light on this?

Thank you Lefty.

Here is a modern non-floater:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOT 2023-07-09.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	91283

SOCATA TB-9 Tampico?

A Tampico indeed. That was fast!
    The baton is yours.

Thank you, Dan. I was able to respond swiftly to identify the Tampico because examples of its big brother, l'Armée de l'Air TB-30 Epsilon, used to fly low over our house on a regular basis.

This picture is from page 104 of Cuny's book. It is a Late 24. Somebody digitally altered the foto to delete the LATE.24 in giant letters on the forward fuselage. It was damaged in a storm at Salanque which caused it to crash into a jetty.

So more info on the Late 24

Chris

Yes Chris has nailed this one - it's the Laté 24. Sloppy work from me when I OK'd Dan's answer without checking.

The pic indeed came from Cuny's book, to which I treated myself as a birthday gift (big one last weekend !)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img20230710_08130628.jpg  

On the basis that the baton reached with me as a result of a misidentification, I demur in favour of Chris.

The Latecoere book looks like a keeper. Must get a copy.

Happy 80th Mike!
    Last edited by Moses03; July 10th, 2023 at 09:10.

I didn't do it for the baton. I just like finding info out about the obscure. I'm sure I can find something but will leave as it now. I like trying to find stumpers. It hard with you guys.

Chris

Please let me off the hook, Chris. I've nothing on the stocks at present!

Here's an easy one to keep going.

Chris

An here I am in my office researching Cessna 402. Still going strong at 72.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChrisOffice.jpg   WOTJul11.jpg  

I squinted...
    and squinted even more...
    and I think I see a Luscombe T8F ( maybe a T8F-L)

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

OOPS! forgot I had to find a horrid critter in a grainy photo..
    No, not senility, just too many things sur le plat.
    (Like finally winning a two-day battle to find one house in Deux-Sevres )

BRB

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    (Like finally winning a two-day battle to find one house in Deux-Sevres )
    You should have asked. I've lived in that département for over twenty years.

PH, it's a long story. Was actually going to ask you a couple of Q one of these days, so I'll PM you the saga), and thanks for the thought.

Since we've been looking at the undersides, here's another...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH 14-7-2023-1.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 90