The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 994

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thanks Mike.

Something more modern.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery-1503946032-gettyimages-517766500.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	90740

The oddly-designated XF9F-9? Prototype of the F11F Tiger.

"Look Ma, I can shoot myself down!"

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Ah well, 'tis a better day for posting than most this month (With a METAR like this I'm staying inside - METAR CYYC 161500Z 34026G33KT 5/8SM -the vis is reduced in SMOKE thanks to the 30 Kt wind blowing all the wildfire smoke down from the northern half of the province)
    so let me offer this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH 16-5-2023.jpg  

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Caudron C.670, the not very successful light high speed bomber version of the Typhon.

Ba-da-boom!

So successful, they made only one.

And WOW! we're up to 1 3/4 Sm vis in smoke.

I fly to Spokane every night smoke hasn't made it this far south. Fire season has been light this year so far in Idaho.

Chris

Thank you, srgalahad. Here's something from a much earlier era.

Last edited by pomme homme; May 17th, 2023 at 05:10.

Oh wait! I know that one! Saw it in the catalogue the other day.
    Apparently it only takes minutes to assemble with the included little L-shaped Allen wrench!

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Oh wait! I know that one! Saw it in the catalogue the other day.
    Apparently it only takes minutes to assemble with the included little L-shaped Allen wrench!
    I think you're right. Is it the Ikea Kallax pomme homme?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fast_Show_I_ll_Get_Me_Coat.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	90762
    Andy

IKEA wasn't even a twinkle in Ingvar Kamprad's eye when the designer of this triplane commissioned Gabriel Voisin to build it! But as you mention large stores, curiously he, the designer, had a connection with a famous London department store.

Well I've no idea who the designer is, but I'd lay good money down on the department store being Selfridges, sounds like the sort of circles Gordon Selfridge frequented.

I know there is a Voisins department store in St Helier, Jersey (from childhood holidays), still family owned apparently; but I have no idea whether there is a familial link to Claude, I'm having enough fun tracing my own family tree (which has thrown up some very big surprises!!) to dig into it.
    Andy

Your good money would not have been wasted!

A Goupy? Not as far as I am aware, Kevin. This triplane - or some say one of two triplanes - started life in France before finishing it in England. However its journey between the two countries was made by land and sea, rather than by air - which says much about its flying capability. This, apparently, amounted to no more than a series of 'hops'. There is no record of it achieving sustained flight. It carried the name of its designer, which should be easily ascertainable by pursuing a line of inquiry from the answer to the clue given by AndyG43 in the first line of his last post here. He - the designer, not AndyG43! - produced one new design post-WW1 and then disappeared into obscurity.

How about the de Bolotoff triplane effort? Described as a "Goupy type" build.

Spot on, Kevin! It is the de Bolotoff Triplane, the handiwork of Prince Serge Vincent de Bolotoff, the husband of Gordon Selfridge's eldest daughter. Et maintenant de retour au Texas!

Thanks Mike.

From triplane to trimotor...

Caudron C.25 at the 1919 Paris Salon.

Done and done!

Wish I had a time machine to go back to one of the Salon shows and wander about.

Thank you, Kevin.

I think that I'd be asking for a time machine large enough to permit me to get a few of the exhibits into it and bring those back with me to the present day! Does anyone have a spare tardis?

Anyhow, onto the next challenge - of which I'll say no more than: Home, James, and don't spare the horsepower!

Mike, I am thinking this is the Bleriot XXIV with the four passenger cabin.

Then you are thinking clearly and correctly, Kevin. It is the Blériot XXIV Limousine - equipped with a speaking tube to enable the passengers, from the comfort of their coach built enclosed cabin, to tell the pilot where to go! Back to Texas, if you will.

Stepping away from the early ones. A modern monoplane in comparison!

Two built and this was a modification slightly beyond the first one. A few of it's stablemates have appeared here previously.

Members who have read this thread: 92