The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 978
Page 978 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 478878928968970971972973974975976977978979980981982983984985986988 ... LastLast
Results 24,426 to 24,450 of 25194

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Has a hyphenated name and named after a bird I think! My brainpower is not what it used to be.

Yes and if you were to stretch a point .....

There's a sad tale of how its co-designer/builder came upon it in flames beside a road during a war.

Thankfully I had some recall. It's the Guinea-Severt 2DDM from Spain.

Indeed it is, Kevin, a victim of the Spanish Civil War. Here's to your brain cells and over to Texas!

Thanks Mike. Onward with a big brute.

And not a Brit either !
    After some fruitless research, decided that the hatted gentlemen had a colonial air about them, and lo! all was revealed.
    This machine is the AAEC B.1 designed by Harry Broadsmith in Mascot, NSW

Now try this strange skinny effort - no - I haven't photoshopped the image ! (other than to remove the reg)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stretchy.jpg  

Western Europe, 1950's, originally a glider

Not going to let this one drag along any further. It's the Schleicher Rhönlerche II Storch, from

Please proceed, gentlemen...

Interestingly, despite its glider lineage, it seems not to have been deemed to be a motor glider, and presumably instead deemed to be a light aeroplane, as it is not listed at https://www.j2mcl-planeurs.net/.

Figured it was German but didn't find any trails leading to it.

I found it in 1000AircraftPhotos - but reckoned it was fair game for the mystery as it didn't really look like the average motor glider !

This photograph looks like it has been lifted from the cover of the Led Zeppelin II LP - but it hasn't!

This biplane emanated from what is presently a topical country.

Not sure WHAT it is, but it has Imperial Russian insignia on the tail. Must be some sort of Sikorsky? Not an "Ilya" since it's too small, but definately Russian.

My guess is this:

https://imperialairpowerrussia.blogs...auxiliary.html

Could be wrong, though.

Jorge
    Miami, FL

You are very warm, Jorge. You have the manufacturer but not the type. This one was built as a single seater rather than as a two seater. Only one was built and that crashed in Romania. When it was built, the factory then was in Imperial Russia. The city in which that factory was would not now consider itself to be in Russia - and, no doubt, would have no wish to become so again!

Hmm ...

Sikorsky worked for a company in Russia that had three factories: Riga (current Latvia), St. Petersburg (still in Russia, but known as Leningrad during USSR times), and Moscow. Since Riga is the only one that is not in Russia, my guess was that it was an aircraft built by the Russo-Balt Co. (Sikorsky was the lead designer from what I've found out so far) at their Riga plant, which eventually made it all the way south to Romania.

Since I still couldn't find anything about the actual model, though, I did more digging. The tail and wings look like a version of the Anatra airplane in the link I posted, but Anatra was a Ukranian company within the Empire. It was based in Odessa. Russo-Balt -- where Sikorsky worked -- was Russian.

So ...

I took a longshot and checked for "Anatra" and came up with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatra_Anadis

Picture's on the bottom right-hand side.

Looks like this thing would've been a good fighter had it been produced!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

This time you've hit the nail on the head, Jorge. It is the Anatra Anadis fighter. With this one done, I look forward to seeing your challenge 'mystery' aircraft! So over to Miami - where, curiously, the temperature today appears to be lower than in Western France!

This one may not be an easy one, but we'll see. I'm currently working on aircraft.cfg-based dynamics for the FS9 one available here at SOH.

aero_quiz_01 by Jorge Rechani, on Flickr

This unique find is from the 1930's and somewhat obscure compared to its more prevalent, older cousin. It would've been another, "Pirate of the Caribbean," if it had gone into production, but alas, there was only one manufactured -- yet two were built.

It's name would continue, however. Its "son" (in name) would be a type of "eliminator" who would "whistle death" upon its enemies. Its "grandson" would carry the name until retired in the 1990's, though use of the "grandson" in other countries continued until 2014..

I censored out the national insignia (albeit misspelled), but other than that it's a stock picture.

Jorge
    Miami, FL

I'm sure of answer so on with the next challenge.

A one of in a string of 3.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTAug2.jpg