Video Card Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Card Advice

Charter Member 2015
    From my understanding of things FSX was, from the outset, never developed to fully utilise multiple processor cores (the services packs were only to help out texture loading on duals/quads)...and to make this possible would require the game code being completely re-written. I'm sure that this would have been top of the list to be addressed in FSXI.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    I've tested every i5 board, and i5 CPU, and I've tested every i7 and i7 board now available to the public for FSX. If you all you do is fly FSX/FS9 you may as well just stay with Penryn. The frame rate gains are about 5-7 and that's it. Penryn (Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad) does a fairly good job of handling the wonky programming of FSX. But if you play other games that have come out lately ya gotta love the i7 Cores!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Would an ATI 4890 be a significant upgrade over a 4850 for FS X?

Flying from London TO Melbourne with the Sim-Outhouse ROund the world gang and stumbled onto these threads. Lots of good information

Thanks

BB

E7200
    ATI 4850 512
    2GB DDR 800
    ABIT IP-35
    Buzzbee - TeamAVSIM

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzbee View Post

Flying from London TO Melbourne with the Sim-Outhouse ROund the world gang and stumbled onto these threads. Lots of good information

Thanks

BB

E7200
    ATI 4850 512
    2GB DDR 800
    ABIT IP-35

Well yes and no...Its a much better card for sure...

But your ram is the main hinderence with just 2 gigs along with youe E7200 if its stock clocks...

Typo'd my Processor

It is an E7300 running at 3.2 Ghz

The RAM is the weak part of my OC, I am sure. IN WIndows XP will 4 gigs make much of a diff in FS X is the OS only sees 3 gigs?
    Buzzbee - TeamAVSIM

harleyman
    Yes it will make a difference in Vista....

It will then show 3.4 or so , but it still uses the ram installed..It just does not show what the OS is using .....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzbee View Post

Thanks

BB

E7200
    ATI 4850 512
    2GB DDR 800
    ABIT IP-35
    If you are looking for more frame rates you may be disappointed. My HIS HD4850 Turbo ICEQ4 Overclocked is as fast as an HD4890 and the texture backfill looks identical, however the Sapphire HD5850 I had tested a couple of months ago does provide a few more fps and texturing is very nice. Because it is a 1GB VRAM video card it works especially well with Quad Cores.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102857

The price is hard to beat too.

I have to put a plug in for the Nvidia GTX260/275/285 these are great cards as well combined with quad cores. I just wish Nvidia could get their freakin' drivers right!!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I could use some advice on what would be the best upgrade for my system. I'm currently using the specs recommended by Harlyman's "beginner's guide to FSX set-up". I average 20-25 FPS and under 10 FPS when things get heavy. I believe my system could do better than this and I'm a little confused on how to improve FPS. Would upgrading the vid-card make much more of a difference? Recommendations?

Biostar A770+ motherboard
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8.0 GB Low Latency Patriot DDR2 (2 GB x 4 sticks), 800 MHz Dual Channel
    Windows 7 64 bit OS (upgraded from Vista 64)
    Nvidia FX 9400GT (1 GB) DDR2 PCI-E

Your CPU is running at 2.3 GHz. To me, that seems slow for FSX. Have you tried overclocking the CPU? I know I got a big increase in FPS when I bumped my Core2Duo from the stock 3.0 GHz up to 3.6 GHz. I went from 24 fps (12 in heavy areas) to 30 fps (15 in heavy areas).
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Retired SOH Administrator
    I think a lot of this has to do with which plane you are flying, what is running in the back ground, and what type of add on scenery you have installed. I might be wrong here but I never have had any luck with a processor settings below 3.0. Any thing above that will help. Being since I too have a quad core I have also found out that FSX hardly touches the third and fourth cord. I have found out for me at least to get all the candy eye I want and to fly a jet I need to OC mine to 4.0 and above. At 4.8 my system comes unstable. I noticed when flying a prop plane I have no skipping or stuttering, as soon as I fly a fast jet I have problems with anything below 4.0. Sometimes I feel no matter what you do or have when you go to New York, Washington...ect..ect... for some reason your FPS still have a drop at the airports, once you leave the airport areas things seem to settle down a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Would it be safe to say that the RAM and the quad core are overkill for the motherboard? Maybe swap it out for something above 3.0 Ghz to see any improvement? I don't want to get into OC just yet for the simple reason that I don't really know what I'm doing.

I understand what you're saying Moe. It just seems that no matter what tweaking I do the FPS always tanks. I want to enjoy the add-on scenery without it looking like a Picasso painting. I feel like I'm missing out . . . it's really frustrating.

Retired SOH Administrator
    I feel the MB,processor and memory makes the biggest difference. The video card helps some but the processor is the main thing in my book. Some guys in here buy a faster processor and either put it on a old MB or a board that just can't really do what it needs to do. I do some video editing and the quad core gets a good work out. All four cores are used. To really get a computer to talk to you like ya want it to every component has to be matched up right including the power supply. The system I have now pretty much holds it course for me right now.It's getting a tad bit old but I wanna hold off on things before I dump it. If you want to get the best kick for your buck and enjoy flying. Buy a 500gig hard drive and only put the OS and FSX and just your add ons...you should get it to do what every you want. Putting FSX on your main computer along with all the other programs to me is a waste. It is cheaper and better in the long run to buy a separate HD and just do gaming with it only...Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll just upgrade the board and run FSX on an external drive by itself until I can get a better rig.

harleyman
    Whats up..

Hell Yea...ATI smokes Nvidia in FSX in smoothness and clairity of colors and all graphics IMO..