UT

Thread: UT

UT

We had a discussion not to long ago about the tail markings on the Enterprise Avenger.Remember the Enterprise was basically used for night ops at this time.Here's 2 actual pics of them in 1945 my son found,1 in January and the other March.Notice they are different,one maybe white and the other maybe black,it's tough to tell the actual colors.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TBM_VTN-90_trapped_on_board_the_carrier_Enterprise_on_March_8_1945.jpg   TBM_VT-90_CV-6_Jan1945.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hiede View Post
    We had a discussion not to long ago about the tail markings on the Enterprise Avenger.Remember the Enterprise was basically used for night ops at this time.Here's 2 actual pics of them in 1945 my son found,1 in January and the other March.Notice they are different,one maybe white and the other maybe black,it's tough to tell the actual colors.

Hiede
    Maybe two different squadrons -

Hiede,

Yes, I've since come across similar photos. A few look like they've rough-sprayed black over a white insignia.

So maybe the squadron was changing the appearance based on feedback from flight crews, whilst on operations - & experimented with dark vs light tail insignia.

Heide/ut....

...this site may give you some info on the colors or where to proceed. http://www.cv6.org/1945/nightops/nightbirds.htm
    Then again you might have already been there.

Members who have read this thread: 45