April 18,1942

Thread: April 18,1942

April 18,1942

16 B-25's took off from the USS Hornet and bombed Japan.It didn't cause much damage except to the Japanese pride.It also bolstered the US moral.

I have actual film my Great Uncle took from Hornet as the planes took off.He was on the Hornet until it was lost at Santa Cruz.He served on another carrier later in the war.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1457615637637.jpg  

When I was a cadet at the Citadel (I'm Class of 1997) I was fortunate enough to meet one of the Raiders who had graduated from there. For the life of me I can't remember his name, but he was still sharp even at that ripe, old age! I think it was during my 3rd Class year (Sophomore, in civilian terms) during one of the events we would have throughout the year honoring famous or important graduates.

What I do remember is that he said most guys didn't think they would actually see each other again after the mission.

God Bless them!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Heroes all.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Also on this day in 1943 Admiral Yamamoto was shot down and killed in the Solomons.

Hiede

Hmm. Never made the connection with those two happenings being the same day Hiede. Interesting.
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 66