Can I Pick Your Collective Brains?

Thread: Can I Pick Your Collective Brains?

Can I Pick Your Collective Brains?

Hi All,

I just wanted to get some advice regarding the latest sim update download.

I normally do not have much of an issue when downloading updates & the decompressing normally goes reasonably quickly too, but...

I've been downloading since yesterday & have had nothing but trouble when decompressing these downloaded files, MSFS seems to hang for ages (overnight).

I've had to shut down MSFS, restart Steam - restart MSFS, where it again, goes through the process of decompressing. It looks like all is going fine until it appears to get stuck on decompressing again.

I've tried verified the files within the MSFS folder & deleted any files that may have been causing issues within the Packages/Official folder, then attempting the download again.

So my question is (before I pull out what remains of my hair!) Do you think that this is down to the server loads at Microsoft/Asobo's end, with many people trying to download at the same time or is it at my end with my PC?

Thanking yous in advance!

Keith.

IMHO the initial problem was more than likely server overload, giving you the heartaches you have now. But after those problems, there's a couple of things that you have to take care of.

In your official folder, you'll find a folder called ".fscontent" in which you'll find a textfile listing the files that fave problems. Delete all the files listed and the folder ".fscontent" with the textfile in it.

Then start again. That should work.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Watch the progress bar. If it's slipping back, you're in a download loop. The only way to fix it takes a couple of steps. First, shut down the sim, next, find your Official folder, and look inside for anything that's not a folder and delete it. When you restart the sim, it will continue where it left off, and hopefully it won't get stuck in a loop again. On my own rig, I've had a couple of update cycles where I had to do that twice, and one update took three tries. Good luck!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I can resolve these loops just by stopping and restarting the download, which generally picks up at the last module it completed. I don't recall having to restart the sim and I have never had to go looking for temp files to delete.

August

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

I have finally seemed to have resolved the issue.

At first I thought it might be something to do with the community folder, I changed the name so MSFS could create a new one - No joy.

Deleting the .fscontent folder didn't work, so I then tried deleting the whole of the packages/official folder with the same result.

After much research I found that if you jotted down the name of the offending file that was hanging the progress, shut down MSFS,
    delete that file/s, restarted MSFS - It carried on decompressing the data until the next offender hung everything up.

So, after spending quite a few hours rinsing & repeating the same process, it eventually decides to do its job & opens the MSFS home page.

Once I got there I noticed that some of the menus were not appearing, specifically the content manager, I shut MSFS down, then Steam & rebooted my PC.

I restarted MSFS & it goes back to decompressing but it's now doing what its supposed to be doing & not stalling!

Its nearly completed the 137Gb required, hopefully I'll be able to access the content manager & get flying again!

Thanks Again,

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    I can resolve these loops just by stopping and restarting the download, which generally picks up at the last module it completed. I don't recall having to restart the sim and I have never had to go looking for temp files to delete.

August
    I tried that once and it didn't work for me. My guess is that stopping the download automatically deletes the compressed files that the sim was having trouble extracting.

What I posted is from the Official board, and generally works well - at least for me.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 87