Chaseplane for MSFS? Er, not so much.

Thread: Chaseplane for MSFS? Er, not so much.

Chaseplane for MSFS? Er, not so much.

I got excited when I saw this listed on Parallel 42's website until I found out it is a April Fool's joke.

I guess I don't have a good sense of humor. Not funny to me, anyway.

https://parallel42.com

Yes, the trick to April Fools jokes is that people should laugh at why they ever thought it was true in the first place.

All they have done in this case is to make a very convincing advert about something which is entirely feasible, and then say it isn't real. Hardly what I would call a 'joke'.

I was never a Chaseplane power user, but Flow Pro has a load of visual functionality plus a whole lot more. In that context, //42 likely considers any suggestion of bringing back Chaseplane a big joke.
    Last edited by rvn817j; April 1st, 2024 at 06:48. Reason: Clarify statement
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

//42 has been inundated with requests for ChasePlane since MSFS came out and has very publicly always explained that it is impossible due to the lack of any camera SDK. The real joke is that after all these years, Asobo hasn't implemented one. When you click "Buy now" they once again explain why it's impossible and encourage people to vote for this feature to be added.

I think it's a bit of an "in joke" in that people who don't follow //42 closely are more likely to feel burned by it being a joke if they didn't know just how many times //42 have reiterated it being an impossible ask. It's certainly one of the more brutal April Fools jokes I've seen in MSFS's years!

Maybe in FS2024, we'll have a Camera SDK, but I'm very not hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I was never a Chaseplane power user, but Flow Pro has all that functionality plus a whole lot more. In that context, //42 likely considers any suggestion of bringing back Chaseplane a big joke.
    Flow Pro does not have any of the functionality of ChasePlane. It doesn't actually do anything with cameras that the default sim doesn't do. Notably, it lacks all of ChasePlane's great movement effects (G forces, turn anticipation, horizon lock etc.), UI for camera positioning, and cinematic views. The closest we have to any camera effect addon at all is FSRealistic which only adds some engine vibration/turbulence and breathing effects (and to my knowledge, it does this by moving the actual aircraft because there is no camera SDK.)

Quote Originally Posted by LostPilot View Post
    //42 has been inundated with requests for ChasePlane since MSFS came out and has very publicly always explained that it is impossible due to the lack of any camera SDK. The real joke is that after all these years, Asobo hasn't implemented one. When you click "Buy now" they once again explain why it's impossible and encourage people to vote for this feature to be added.

I think it's a bit of an "in joke" in that people who don't follow //42 closely are more likely to feel burned by it being a joke if they didn't know just how many times //42 have reiterated it being an impossible ask. It's certainly one of the more brutal April Fools jokes I've seen in MSFS's years!

Maybe in FS2024, we'll have a Camera SDK, but I'm very not hopeful.

Oh, I definitely knew that P42 had explained that Chaseplane development was not possible currently, which of course made their "announcement" of a release even more surpriseable. I don't think it was a wise choice to pull this prank, merely from a marketing perspective. NC

Quote Originally Posted by LostPilot View Post
    Flow Pro does not have any of the functionality of ChasePlane. It doesn't actually do anything with cameras that the default sim doesn't do. Notably, it lacks all of ChasePlane's great movement effects (G forces, turn anticipation, horizon lock etc.), UI for camera positioning, and cinematic views. The closest we have to any camera effect addon at all is FSRealistic which only adds some engine vibration/turbulence and breathing effects (and to my knowledge, it does this by moving the actual aircraft because there is no camera SDK.)
    Like I said, I was never a Chaseplane power user, but I now get fantastic visuals without much effort (key strokes, button binding, etc.) using Flow Pro. You should try it...you might enjoy it. It also does so much more than improving views and it does it with simple elegance.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Like I said, I was never a Chaseplane power user, but I now get fantastic visuals without much effort (key strokes, button binding, etc.) using Flow Pro. You should try it...you might enjoy it. It also does so much more than improving views and it does it with simple elegance.
    I love Flow Pro, been a user since it launched, just mentioning it does not have any way to do anything with the camera that the default toolbar can do. It has no ChasePlane camera functionality. Not trying to beat a dead horse, really just reiterating in case anyone reads that it can do those things and buys it only to be disappointed. It is an amazing tool otherwise though, fully agreed!

Excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a "Chaseplane camera" ??

Isn't that just like the default of defaults camera view we already have from the start, where you can watch your aeroplane up its butt ?....( always thought that this particular view is the worst and most uninteresting view of an aircraft in flight, even disrespectful and indecent).

Thanks !

Members who have read this thread: 97