The Big E pt 2

Thread: The Big E pt 2

The Big E pt 2

The USN 42 is out being looked at and tested to make sure everything is ok and if any changes have to be made.It will be awhile before everything is done because of the size of it ( 76 missions I think ).

My son has started work on the second part of The Big E,it starts after her repairs and refit after all the battle damage she had received in the first year of the War.Her flight deck was lengthen and widened,more AA guns and fire control radar were added.Her first combat sortie after was in November 1943.

This campaign will start in November 1943 and go to the end of 1944.Some of the missions have probably not been done before in CFS2,while others have been covered.

He said he has 5 missions done so far,so it is just beginning.

Hiede

Nice to hear someone's working on something new.

The Big E's wartime story is certainly an epic undertaking, but we'll worth telling - kudos to Micheal for giving it a go

Looking ahead, when the Enterprise returned in 1945 it was as a night fighter carrier. Is the plane to continue after 1944?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Looking ahead, when the Enterprise returned in 1945 it was as a night fighter carrier. Is the plane to continue after 1944?
    Captain Kurt,

He is just doing the campaign in stages.This stage is from when Enterprise started ops again in November 1943 thru 1944.Next will be 1945.He just doesn't want it to to big.There are several sites he's using,plus the the book"The Big E "

Do you remember me asking for F6F night fighter for my son?Now you know why.There is also a Corsair night fighter that will be used for night action in 1944. Torpedo planes also attacked Truk at night.There were also Hellcats used for night ops with an Avenger with radar leading them.He does his research and let's me know what to tell everyone.

He wants to know if Stuart would make light Carrier ( Princeton I think )They were used a lot with the Fleet Carriers.

Also would like a repaint of the Avenger for night ops from Enterprise.

Pic below of color scheme.They colors are actually 2 shades of blue and not grey.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigE Avenger Night.jpg  

TBM-3 skin for Wolfi's Avenger is here: https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...id=57&id=26982

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    TBM-3 skin for Wolfi's Avenger is here: https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...id=57&id=26982
    UncleTgt

My son has that one already and it's not in the night scheme that was used.This was originally researched by Talon years ago,my son also researched it to make sure.Talon also was respected in CFS3 especially in the PTO.He was asked many times about what textures to make for different times of the war.A skin for the Enterprise Avenger was done more missions he was working on.

Here'some pics of your Avenger along with the one from CFS3 and from the site he got the scheme from.Yours looks more like the TB-20 Squadron except for the tail.

Contrary to what you think,I do respect your work and have stated it and said thank you many times.

According to all the sites the darker areas should be sea blue and the lighter areas a little lighter blue.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avenger 1.jpg   BigE Avenger Night.jpg   WF_TBM3_VTN90_FEB45b.jpg  
    Last edited by Hiede; March 28th, 2024 at 22:12.

Here's a pic of the color schemes the Avenger and one is for Enterprise.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avenger schemes.jpg  

Hiede, I'm not offended at all, I enjoy the discussions.

I've learnt to trust decal sheets & profile drawings less & less. They're invariably based on grainy b & w photos, or half-remembered recollections by veterans many years after the event.

Where possible I like to base a skin on photos, & do my own interpretation. I find it implausible that the sqn would hand-mix a mid-blue for the fuselage sides & tailfin that's darker than the 3 colour scheme Sea Blue. I think i'ts more likely they took a tricolour scheme aircraft & just painted over the white undersides with Navy Blue, as used on the top of the fuselage & wings.

I do accept that my rendition of Sea Blue may look a little pale, so I'll work on a slighly revised skin based on this photo of a TBM-1D of VT(90), circa February 1945...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TBM1D VTN90 FEB45.jpg  

Note the wing radar pod ( I think Allen did one you can add thru the DP) & extra aerials. Also note the rocket stubs under the wings, & the wing leading edges seem to be painted Sea Blue, as some TBF/TBMs were...

THe fuselage number & tsilfin marking is definitely not black though, I went for a mid-grey colour

Couple of WIP screengrabs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WF_TBM1D_VTN90_FEB45v2a.jpg   WF_TBM1D_VTN90_FEB45v2b.jpg  

Another exciting project by your son, Hiede!
    And, nice lookng TBF skins!

[QUOTE=UncleTgt;1332098]Note the wing radar pod ( I think Allen did one you can add thru the DP) & extra aerials. Also note the rocket stubs under the wings, & the wing leading edges seem to be painted Sea Blue, as some TBF/TBMs were...

THe fuselage number & tsilfin marking is definitely not black though, I went for a mid-grey colour[/QUOTE

My son was wondering if a radar pod could be added to the Avenger at they flew with 2 Hellcats at night using it's radar.

Here's pic of Captain Kurt's Hellcats.One is from VF-20 and the other is VF-90,it's just to show the tail markings.

If you have the tail markings from VF-20 Hellcat put on you original Avenger of VB-90 you will have the right paint scheme for VB-20 which flew 1943 -1944.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VF-90.jpg   VF-20.jpg  

You are correct, the Sea Blue does need to be darkened. Actually though, the real Glossy Sea Blue color I find, is a bit too dark for game to render well.

USN Colors 1943 - 45

606 Semigloss Sea Blue
    RGB 53 63 69

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	93657

608 Intermediate Blue
    RGB 111 124 138

Name:	mid blue.jpg 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	93658

601 Insignia White
    RGB 255 253 250

Name:	White.jpg 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	93659
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    You are correct, the Sea Blue does need to be darkened. Actually though, the real Glossy Sea Blue color I find, is a bit too dark for game to render well.

USN Colors 1943 - 45

606 Semigloss Sea Blue
    RGB 53 63 69

Name:	Blue.jpg 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	93657

608 Intermediate Blue
    RGB 111 124 138

Name:	mid blue.jpg 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	93658

601 Insignia White
    RGB 255 253 250

Name:	White.jpg 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	93659
    Captain Kurt

They look like what we have also.Al also had paint charts and chips for planes and ships.

Hiede

Hello Hiede
    I have just read this one.
    I will get started on the Independence Class Cl today, it will take 3-4 weeks?
    They will be able to have flight deck numbers changed in the texture.
    Good luck with the mission building.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Hiede View Post
    Captain Kurt,

He is just doing the campaign in stages.This stage is from when Enterprise started ops again in November 1943 thru 1944.Next will be 1945.He just doesn't want it to to big.There are several sites he's using,plus the the book"The Big E "

Do you remember me asking for F6F night fighter for my son?Now you know why.There is also a Corsair night fighter that will be used for night action in 1944. Torpedo planes also attacked Truk at night.There were also Hellcats used for night ops with an Avenger with radar leading them.He does his research and let's me know what to tell everyone.

He wants to know if Stuart would make light Carrier ( Princeton I think )They were used a lot with the Fleet Carriers.

Also would like a repaint of the Avenger for night ops from Enterprise.

Pic below of color scheme.They colors are actually 2 shades of blue and not grey.

Hiede

Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    Hello Hiede
    I have just read this one.
    I will get started on the Independence Class Cl today, it will take 3-4 weeks?
    They will be able to have flight deck numbers changed in the texture.
    Good luck with the mission building.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Thanks Stuart.

The other needed was the Cleveland,but you already released it.

No hurry,my son has exams soon so needs to study.School ends earlier here but more states have been doing that.He has no idea how many missions it will be,so no real time table.First he wants to get what he needs so he doesn't have to keep changing things.

Hiede

My mistake,there is already a VT-20 Avenger done.My son told me earlier today.Looks like he has all the textures of the planes during 1943-1944.

Hiede

Radar was used in November 1943 at Makin for night intercepts with one Avenger equipped with radar and 2 Hellcats to intercept.On their first patrol Butch O'Hare was one of the pilots.

I have downloaded 2 wing mounted radars to see which is better.My son will have fun sorting out everything.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TBF-1D_47670_with_AN-APS-3_radar_3Nov43.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 73