B-1B from Virtavia Released - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B-1B from Virtavia Released

Since they fixed the supersonic limitation in today’s update, I picked it up

There are a buttload of switches in the cockpit that don’t do anything, but it’s a $20 aircraft, so I can forgive it not having insane levels of systems simulation that aren’t really that useful in a civilian sim anyway. The important stuff – navigation (ILS, VOR, autopilot, etc) – is there, along with engine management. It’s missing a GPS (though I’m not sure the current GPS setup in a Bone is unclassified, and they’re definitely not using a GNS530!), but you can use the GTN750 add-on or the pop-up VFR map if you need to track your position.

Handling feels pretty good – big, heavy, and fast. You need some room to turn this baby around. Can now pass Mach 1 in afterburner, though the real B-1B flies a mostly subsonic profile. (The original B-1A was the truly supersonic version.)

Disappointingly, only one livery, but it’s well-done with nice detail. Hopefully the repainting crowd will add some variety.

It’s doesn’t rival, say, the Just Flight Vulcan for visuals or systems details. But it’s also $20, and I’d rather have a $20 B-1B in 2024 to have some fun in than have to wait years for a $40 version that has more visual detail and systems I’m not gonna use anyway… I’d like to see GPS functionality added, but otherwise, no real complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    I reached out to Phil at Virtavia when I read all this, and revealed how to go supersonic in MSFS. He's looking into it now for an update.
    THX

Great to see that this community thinking ain't completly dead yet
    They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

One thing I see a lot of virtual pilots doing is retracting the wings on the ground. This is something that NEVER happens with the real bird. The wing pivots don't work that way. The only way to sweep the wings on the ground is to put rolling jacks under the wingtips to support the weight. When the plane exits the runway, the crew retract the flaps and slats, but that's it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Based on this review, and yes I noticed the procedure issues (take off wing setting/flaps) which deter me from watching such reviews, I noticed both interior and exterior textures were very low res. If purchased, anyway to enhance these, mostly for the interior cockpit panels so one can actually read the labels?
    https://youtu.be/omZ6X4Nzre4
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    Updated textures available at fs.to:

https://flightsim.to/file/72209/virt...it-textures-4k

Phil released aircraft that many would never touch. So seeing some of his stuff moved over to MSFS is a plus. While they may not have all the clickable switches, I'm hoping to see more of his better work brought over to fly.
    I pass gas!

It's nice to see my original textures are still being used even if only one set is included.
    They looked great in FSX and early P3D but are a little blurry in MSFS. They were made back
    back in 2009 so before any of the newer texture improvements over the past decade and a half.

So all of that said, if you know how to import textures into MSFS you should be able to use all
    of the textures from the original P3D version (I painted eight) as well as any of the repaints,
    including the few I did after release.

The main panel, side consoles, overhead and most of the center console were spot on back in the day.
    We had dozens of photos and videos from Crew Chief Staff Sergeant Walker Grant (aka Tigisfat in
    the SOH forum back then). Really the only thing not included, and I see it has not been fixed,
    was the missing FMCs in the forward corner of each side of the center console. I have seen video
    with the Vertical Situation Display (VSD) in a more modern orange and blue color scheme rather
    than the original green monochrome type common in 2009.

I fell in love with the B-1B when I worked in Data Services and Public Relations for Rockwell Intl -
    North American Aircraft back in the 1980's when we were building the B-1Bs. I still think it is by
    far one of the most beautiful aircraft in flight.

I'm guessing Terrain Following Radar can't be integrated into the autopilot due to sim limitations? I remember talking to pilots after a maintenance debrief and they said it could be a fun ride at times! I also remember watching live nuclear-tipped cruise missiles being loaded into the internal bays before being towed down to the Alert pad.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Upcoming Tornado has (I believe) height-following autopilot but not predictive, though the radar includes fwd-looking display line

Members who have read this thread: 203