Hall PH-1 VP-8 Skins

Thread: Hall PH-1 VP-8 Skins

Hall PH-1 VP-8 Skins

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - General

Description: Two skins for Shessi's Hall Aluminum PH-1 depicting the two section leaders of the U.S. Navy's Patrol Squadron Eight. "The Flying Eight Balls" flew six Hall boats from 1932 to late 1936 or early 1937 from Fleet Air Base Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Hall PH-1 VP-8 Skins
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Now that's an improvement!

Many thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Now that's an improvement!

Many thanks.

Cheers

Shessi
    You're very welcome! And thanks again for the model.

All I did was remove the Coast Guard markings and add the Navy ones. Well, that and add the early thirties style anti-fouling paint below the waterline. I made the silver (which I like very much) a smidgen of a shade darker to get some contrast with the white tail, which I painted in a whiter white than I would otherwise use.

In the real VP-8 their white tail had so little contrast when seen from any distance with the aluminized silver dope finish that when they traded in their PHs for PBYs, they didn't bother to paint the tails, just left them silver.

Curiously, the contrast looks much greater to me in the screenies than it looks in the sim on my monitor.

Oh, and put in Kelti's spinning prop with the red-yellow-blue tips. Had that handy from some other project years ago.

You were right to suspect that the stationary prop can't be painted. In fact, that "none" texture block appears to color nothing at all, unless maybe something inside that I didn't see. I tried making the whole thing red and nothing externally visible turned red. No matter, I think most of us do most of our flying with the props spinning.

Members +
    Thanks for this.. Much appreciated.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Mick,

Thank you for another great paint set.

normb

Wonderful! Thank you.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Members who have read this thread: 51